Author Topic: EFI or carb sled?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
EFI or carb sled?
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Like the title says, what does everyone prefer? My indy 500 decided to take a hike on sunday, and isnt worth rebuilding, so I'm in the hunt for a new sled. Not looking for brands, just asking about efi or carbed sleds. Thanks
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: EFI or carb sled?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:04 AM »
Like the title says, what does everyone prefer? My indy 500 decided to take a hike on sunday, and isnt worth rebuilding, so I'm in the hunt for a new sled. Not looking for brands, just asking about efi or carbed sleds. Thanks
Efi starts way easier and have a little better throttle response, but seem to be a little more sensitive to ethanol....
Carbs can be cleaned and worked on a little easier
Personal preference
I'd take EFI over a carb

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:39 AM »
For icefishing I prefer a carbed, 2-stroke air cooled machine. Trails, all the latest bells and whistles including 4-stroke, EFI liquid cooled. Air cooled can travel on snow dust covered ice, especially if it has picks and/or scratchers to lubricate the sliders. Plus most EFI sleds don't have a pull cord backup to start the machine.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:06 AM »
Carbs for me.i hd a 96 arctic cat powder special 580 efi that stopped running and was a pain to track down what sensor went bad.at least on a carbed sled i can clean the carbs/troubleshoot easily and way less  wires,sensors and computer crap.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:51 AM »
I will take an injected engine over a carbureted one every time.  Who has not had to clean carburetors on a 2 stroke engine? how about dirty\fouled sparkplugs because of poor fuel management?  You don't get that with an injected engine, turn the engine over and they start quickly every time. I just traded off my old 2 stroke injected snowmobile, it had 8000 km, always started right away, I did not even change the spark plugs until around 5000 km and that was not because it needed it, was just because I thought I should.  Can you have problems with electronics? sure, that is true of every modern engine, but how often is that a factor?  Think of engine maintenance on your automobile today, back in the old days we had to deal with chokes, changing plugs all the time, now none of those problems anymore, the engine just goes….  For me, I want a snowmobile that I can turn the key and it will start right away, that comes with an injected engine.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. It didnt narrow down my search much, but I've at least got pros and cons now. The thing that had me leaning toward efi was that they run the right mix almost all the time, which is what did my previous sled in, but now I'm not sure again, lol.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:10 PM »
I like my 93 phazer.... Has 6200 miles and still starts and goes
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Carbs 5000 miles on xc500 never touched the carbs.Try to clean a gummed up efi.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Not sure your budget, but modern 4stroke efi sleds are in a whole different league than carbed 2strokes from years back.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:24 PM »
I was looking at a newer yamaha venture for awhile, but they are too expensive unfortunately. I understand efi systems better than I do carbs, so I'll probably end up efi. I'll post back with what I get, and how I like it
-Johnny Cash

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:38 PM »
EFI every time.  Way less maintenance.  No choke, stuck needle, no stuck floats and easier starting.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:59 AM »
EFI every time.  Way less maintenance.  No choke, stuck needle, no stuck floats and easier starting.
i agree, until one day it doesn't start.then have to track down the problem mostly battery,electrical,fuel injectors,computer boxes.guess i just like simple old school and havent had a sled newer than 97.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Well, I made my decision, picked up a 94 indy 500 2up with efi, and the real kicker, is 670 original miles. The sled is pristine, aside from a little bit of strap rub, but I couldn't be happier. Having a sled that starts 2nd pull, instead of 15th is amazing, and makes riding enjoyable. Now just gotta get out with it.

-Johnny Cash

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Well, I made my decision, picked up a 94 indy 500 2up with efi, and the real kicker, is 670 original miles. The sled is pristine, aside from a little bit of strap rub, but I couldn't be happier. Having a sled that starts 2nd pull, instead of 15th is amazing, and makes riding enjoyable. Now just gotta get out with it.

Very nice....congrats
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Very nice....congrats
Thanks. Even if it was a carb'd sled, I probably still woulda bought it, just cause of how nice it is
-Johnny Cash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.