New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont Bay  (Read 19209 times)

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chaumont Bay
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Was wondering if there was any ice in the bay and if if the bay was still posted with the no parking signs. Wanted to go up this weekend. Can't seem to find anything on the conditions page.
Thanks

Offline DeepDriller

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chaumont Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:43 PM »
If you look up youll see the sponsors. Click on Chaumont Hadware and youll see their number. Give them a call and they will usually know as most guys fishing it buy their bait there. Good Luck.  :icefish:

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:00 AM »
Chaumont bay is froze in spots very very variable conditions. You can find some ice in the 3 inch to some 4 inch range. also you can find open water cherry island towards long point, and along south end of 3 mile point as of yesterday. Ice was broke up along edges yesterday 3 mile point south end. North end very very soft ice found the most ice to be 5 inches 0-10ft water but it was all soft white ice not all to promising or safe you could watch it move as you walked across it. most black ice found was about 2-3 inches which quickly went to less in spots.
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:14 AM »
It's gonna be sketchy until this wind dies and the temps stabilize.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rippem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Look up guffin bay resort they have ice conditions there. It's right around the corner from chaumont

Offline murphy421

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Thanks rippem ! Can never have enough bookmarks for ice fishing !~!
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it".  ~Koos Brandt

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Chaumont bay has the worste small mouth fishing in new york  ;D

Offline DeepDriller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Chaumont bay has the worste small mouth fishing in new york  ;D
Sucks for perch and everything else to!  :whistle:

Offline SwedishPIMP69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 AM »
I know there is enough ice to fish but I don't know exact totals

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:48 AM »

I respectfully disagree.

Monday there was only 2-2.5 inches anyplace I checked, and that was junk snow ice.

We had strong south/southwest winds the past couple days, pushing the water up in the bay.

Today, we've got strong winds out of the north.

The ice (what there was) was fractured and cracked all over the bay by the winds and wave action.

I would not recommend even thinking of fishing here until Friday at earliest, and Saturday would be better still.

Given the nature of the Bay, plus limited parking access points, not to mention some relatively inexperienced fishermen flocking to "good" ice, my advice is stay home another couple or three days.

I'm intentionally NOT posting on the BW/J thread for this very reason.

perch@pans

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:02 PM »
I respectfully disagree.

I would not recommend even thinking of fishing here until Friday at earliest, and Saturday would be better still.

Given the nature of the Bay, plus limited parking access points, not to mention some relatively inexperienced fishermen flocking to "good" ice, my advice is stay home another couple or three days.

I'm intentionally NOT posting on the BW/J thread for this very reason.
        Thank you for your reports through the years and appreciate your honesty especially this year with sketchy at best first ice conditions.

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:41 PM »

I disagree as well.

Being that there has been NOBODY fishing. I ventured out yesterday to be the first out and the last out for awhile. The ice was NOT good.

The Entire lake from part of PT. Salubrious to Cherry island, to Long Point, around the South side of Three Mile Pt. is WIDE OPEN WATER.

Go for a ride and look for yourself.

What Esox said is 100 % accurate.

Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:43 PM »
I disagree as well.

Being that there has been NOBODY fishing. I ventured out yesterday to be the first out and the last out for awhile. The ice was NOT good.

The Entire lake from part of PT. Salubrious to Cherry island, to Long Point, around the South side of Three Mile Pt. is WIDE OPEN WATER.

Go for a ride and look for yourself.

What Esox said is 100 % accurate.

Why would you want to fish Chaumont anyway.....  :P

Offline 20gallonbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:49 PM »
id listen to esox slayer, he hasnt steered anybody wrong in yrs. or ever

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for all the info... I'll wait til Saturday and will let ya know how it goes

Stay on top and dry

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:02 AM »
essox is the ice keeper of the bay. He checks it regular. If you've been out there fishing, then you have probably past him or even met him without knowing. He's a good honest guy that won't steer you wrong. He's probably on it today, so look for a report tonight in Big Water Jefferson in conditions.

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »
essox is the ice keeper of the bay. He checks it regular. If you've been out there fishing, then you have probably past him or even met him without knowing. He's a good honest guy that won't steer you wrong. He's probably on it today, so look for a report tonight in Big Water Jefferson in conditions.

x2 or you may bump into him at Gander Mountain Watertown too... ;D  He isn't a bad guy for a Marine!!!   ;D ;D :P :P ;)

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:24 PM »
x2 or you may bump into him at Gander Mountain Watertown too... ;D  He isn't a bad guy for a Marine!!!   ;D ;D :P :P ;)

Semper Freakin' Fi, ya seaweed eating swabbie !

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Will post there this evening..

Offline mcboatsret

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • U.S. Navy MasterChief Boatswain's Mate Retired
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Looks like this is going to shape up to be a good old fashioned jarhead vs. squid throwdown  :woot: :woot:  should we set up a grunt vs. swab jockey fish off?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Looks like this is going to shape up to be a good old fashioned jarhead vs. squid throwdown  :woot: :woot:  should we set up a grunt vs. swab jockey fish off?

I think I might have mentioned this last year, but in case I didn't:

You and the other swabbie go and find yerselves another half dozen swabbies, then the odds at 8-1 will make it just about an even match....lol.

Offline Catch n Release

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:59 PM »
What's fellas not sure who any of u are but I wish everyone the best of luck this year n stay dry.. Was up to chaumont today and ice was good in guffin bay but fishing was EXTREMELY SLOW!!! Ice was 4-5 of black ice with some spots with white ice. Also went to three mile bay ice was a little sketchier there but still had 3-5 inches of black with some white mixed in fishing was a little better but still very slow.  Wish I had some good fishing to report but at least there is some decent ice.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:12 PM »
What's fellas not sure who any of u are but I wish everyone the best of luck this year n stay dry.. Was up to chaumont today and ice was good in guffin bay but fishing was EXTREMELY SLOW!!! Ice was 4-5 of black ice with some spots with white ice. Also went to three mile bay ice was a little sketchier there but still had 3-5 inches of black with some white mixed in fishing was a little better but still very slow.  Wish I had some good fishing to report but at least there is some decent ice.

You musta left Guffins too soon, was over there this afternoon around 2 and saw a guy come off with a half pail of nice slobs, and from what he said, he wasn't the only one catching them...

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:44 PM »
For the Devil Dog vs Squid fish off, if it is for Perch I can hold my own, for those monster Eyes he catches he has me hands down...look forward to fishing Chaumont this year, last year never worked out...almost always weather's fault...

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:50 PM »
For the Devil Dog vs Squid fish off, if it is for Perch I can hold my own, for those monster Eyes he catches he has me hands down...look forward to fishing Chaumont this year, last year never worked out...almost always weather's fault...

I'll be happy to "learn ya" the way to catch those monster eyes,,,bet you've got the stuff in your tackle to catch 'em right now..

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I'll be happy to "learn ya" the way to catch those monster eyes,,,bet you've got the stuff in your tackle to catch 'em right now..

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:56 PM »
hold  on  boys  !!!  i  have   the   utmost   respect  for   both  the  marines  and  the  navy !!!   i  think  your  both   as  tough  as  nails  and  i'd  buy  you  both  a  beer  any  day  of  the  week  and  be  proud  as  hell  to   fish  with  you  both!!!!  but  i  just  can't  understand   one  thing  ...  do  ya  realize  if  ya  had  tried   just  a  little  harder  ya  could  have  been  ARMY   ;D  ....best  wishes   to  all  that  have  and  do  serve  ....  coffee  is  on  me  anytime  i  meet   up   with  any  of  you  gents

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:00 PM »
hold  on  boys  !!!  i  have   the   utmost   respect  for   both  the  marines  and  the  navy !!!   i  think  your  both   as  tough  as  nails  and  i'd  buy  you  both  a  beer  any  day  of  the  week  and  be  proud  as  hell  to   fish  with  you  both!!!!  but  i  just  can't  understand   one  thing  ...  do  ya  realize  if  ya  had  tried   just  a  little  harder  ya  could  have  been  ARMY   ;D  ....best  wishes   to  all  that  have  and  do  serve  ....  coffee  is  on  me  anytime  i  meet   up   with  any  of  you  gents

;D ;D :clap:  Good stuff

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:03 PM »

I wasn't qualified to join the Army...I knew who my father was.....

1st coffee's on me.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:04 PM »
i'm  glad  you  took  it  as  intented  hunt  ...  i  really  do  have  the  utmost  respect  of  all  who  served  or  are  serving  ....  ^5......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.