The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite spoons  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite spoons
« on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I got a good start on jigs for pan fish but am wondering what spoons a newbie should have and what sizes for both pan fish and walleye and what colors??
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite spoons
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:55 AM »
One of my favorites for crappies is the northland doodlebug spoon.  I used them almost exclusively last year.  As for colors the pinks, greens, and chartreuse worked best for me.  You'll want to make sure you have a few that glow.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Custom jig n spins slender spoons.  Green,  blue,  and chartuese.

A lot of people like hali spoons too.

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Try the Kastmaster 1 /12 oz blue and silver , work great on crappies and perck . Caugth a couple of eyes on them to !

Offline johnny sakko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:11 PM »
I've used buckshot spoons and killed the Perch with them and Swedish pimples too.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I've always had good luck with the Sweedish Pimples.  Last year I got the Lindy Rattlin Flyers but didn't get to use them.  They had great reviews and I can't wait to see if they work as good as people say they are.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:18 PM »
I started using alot of PK lures this past winter and the panfish loved them.  I only got a couple of walters on them (my walleye lake thawed soon after i found about them).  I like the smaller sizes of the spoons and flutterfish but i prfer spoons.  they sink faster to get to thoze active fish faster.  My favorite color is glow firetiger. 

check out there website.....  they are a site sponsor as well. 

if you keep an eye out you might catch them givning discounts to IS memebers. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:40 PM »
no matter what spoons you buy you will want 3 types.. a few colors of each type.

group one, is thin and light, falls slowly and had lots of flutter- example - slender spoon by cjas, beaded willow by jammin jigs, eye droper by northland, and the live forage spoons by northland (i think)

group two, heavy spoons that fall fast and fish deep- example - Swedish pimple by bay de noc, doodle bug by northland and the acme kastmaster and its many kock off varients. the macho minniow series.

group three, drifting jigs that move away from the hole on the down fall, like the lindy rattling flyer, the orca diver, many others.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:15 PM »
The 2 spoons I use most often is the custom jigs and spins Stinger and the Slender spoons. Both are best used in shallower water however with some patience you can get them down. Favorite size of both is the smallest size available and favorite color is gold.

Offline gillicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2012, 10:56 PM »
northland hands down.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2012, 11:10 PM »
i dont think you can go wrong with any of the spoons that are around 1/12 oz. for pan fish

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:52 AM »
I have good luck on cast masters too. One of my go to lures for perch is a green and silver 1/12th ounce kastmaster tipped with a minnow head. I've picked up slob gills on them too.

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Last year I had good luck with the Lindy RattlN Flyer for perch and eyes. I mainly used red or the silver shiner, I usually dropped it down and bounced it off the bottom a couple of times before bringing it up.
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Last year I had good luck with the Lindy RattlN Flyer for perch and eyes. I mainly used red or the silver shiner, I usually dropped it down and bounced it off the bottom a couple of times before bringing it up.

we cant use perch eyes here in MN, but i hear of a lot of luck with em  >:(

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:45 PM »
i have allways been a fan of the sweedish pimple but, have been reading on the doodle bug spoon and seen some videos it looks like a winner to me .im going to order 6 of them 3 colors and 2 sizes.20 dollar investment.not too shabby if they arnt that good. was on two sites on this site that swear by them.good luck.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Only two kinds of spoons in my bag of tricks, PK Lures flutterfish, and Northland Tackle Buckshot rattle spoon, lots of different sizes and colors, but those are the only two. Also fun that perch hit hard on the Northland Puppet Minnows as well, have those in a few different sizes when the spoons aren't worken.

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2012, 11:57 AM »
we cant use perch eyes here in MN, but i hear of a lot of luck with em  >:(
Yeah they work really well and seem to stay on the hook longer than minnows
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.