Author Topic: Runners and skids  (Read 3389 times)

cat

Runners and skids
« on: Dec 06, 2003, 09:24 PM »
Very new to this site and enjoy it very much.  Building a shanty soon and would like to know what is the best material to use for the skids on a 5x8 light weight shanty.  Have not had time to navigate the entire archive on this topic.  I have found a lot of information very helpful in my planning and design process on shanty buliding.  Thanks.

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
Re:Runners and skids
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2003, 12:26 PM »
Cat,
Keep looking thru the threads in this site.  There is loads of input that has recently been posted.  You'll have to decide what applies to you.  I just built a 5x8 this summer from info on this site and elsewhere.  I used some treated 2x6's that I had left over from my deck for the runners with 1/2" conduit screwed to the bottom.  See the fishingvermont site for pics and plan ideas, thats what I based mine on.  It turned out much heavier than I would like, but that just means I get to tinker with it next year.  Good Luck!

cat

Re:Runners and skids
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:32 PM »
Jocko -

Thanks for the tip.  So many areas to cover on this site.  I have a portable Frabill speed shack which I generally like.  Kinda hard to haul in deep snow.  I want a shanty that I can stay comfortable in for long periods of time.  I'm from Door County WI, so we target Walleye, Browns, and Northern.  Something warmer than the Frabill to stay out longer and later in the evening.  Can't wait till ice forms, there's nothing in the world like seeing a flag up.  Gets me going anyway!!  Thanks again and let me know about your success through the ice this year.  CAT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.