Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: keep loosing big fish!  (Read 2525 times)

arrowhead

keep loosing big fish!
« on: Jan 20, 2004, 04:15 PM »
With all of the times I've been out this winter, I've lost 3 big fish!  My first one I think was a cat, well over 5 pounds. I'm guessing he was 8 pounds or so.  But the line broke on that one after fighting him for about 5 minutes.  Then yesterday when I was out I lost about a 2 pound bass. I saw him below the ice, and he looked like a nice fish. But  he made one last run and striaghend my hook.  A couple hours later, I naild this hudge white crappie. The BIGGEST ONE I'VE EVER SEEN!!! I'm guessing 15 inches or so. But as I was pulling him up through the hole the same thing happened. The jig shot out of his mouth because the hook bent out.  I was just wondering if there any jigs ont he market that have a more sturdy hook but still a 1/32 or 1/64 ounce size to them?

thanks     arrowhead

buzzdpm

Re:keep loosing big fish!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:54 PM »
All my favorite jigs have a small diameter shank and tend to bend easily.  The bad thing about smaller diameter hooks is they straighten out easily, like you said, and the tip bends, especially on bluegill mouths. The benefit is more bites occur with a less visible hook.  The question I have is where you had on the nice crappie.  I have only caught a few over 12" this year.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:54 PM »
Using Genz worms? Try HT enterprises Marmooska. Not the greatest hook in the world but much better than genz worms. Ive caught northerns cats and bass over 20" with them and never had one straighten yet. Have bent them inward by accident while removing them from fish. Usually hands are frozen when this happens.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Dante83R

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2004, 06:42 PM »
    I"ve found that when hooks are straghtening that if I switch to a #10 gamakatsu or Lazer sharp hook with a dab of nail polish or something on it for color I no longer have that problem.  The line breaking can be many things.  How old is your line? What knot are you using?  I prefer a palomar for tying jigs and hooks, it seems to take the shock and stretch of a hook set better.

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:26 PM »
I've cought plenty of crappie from 12-17" and cats up to 6#s through the ice this year so far with no problems.I was useing the smallest size genz worms and a jig called the teater-totter jig that is just as small as the genz.I found on those big crappies you have to take your time with them when you bring them up the hole.Don't try to bring them straigh up and out fast.Bring them up the hole slow then pull your pole sideways to slide them out on the ice.On bigger fish like cats,bass and walleye I'll put my pole down in the hole while playing them,so the line can't grind on the ice at the bottom of the hole.Make sure your drag is set lose if your useing an openface real.I hope this helps you out some. Oh, and I know someones going to ask where I cought the big crappies too.The 17"er's were on a pond and the rest were cought on river back waters and all over 14" was released back in the hole. Be safe and good luck out there. ;)

Offline mzellner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Zeeman1
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Arrowhead I have been buying some sturdy jigs here in Manchester at the local store.  the only one aroung.  Glanz Landing.  Patti and gary are the owners.  pbx 563-927-5423.  They are local made and they have many different sizes.  The Genz worm has been good to me also.  i purchased a few earlier this year on a shopping trip over in WISC.  Sure you can talk to Patti from thursday on if need be.

Zeeman

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:25 AM »
Lebruce hit my thought on the head....drag.  With a good drag reel you should be able to catch a 10+lb cat on a tiny jig with 4lb test line--trust me, I have done it (and actually, bigger fish as well on even lighter line).  We get anxious sometimes when we get a good fish on or realize it is a good fish when we see it below the hole....we speed up our retrieve, force the fish in, change our tension, etc.  These are natural things that we ALL do at times....ever see a pro loose a bass at the boat...that is probably why they did.  I had it happen on a decent walleye a week ago...when I saw what it was I forced it a little too much at the hole and almost lost it as the jig came out (good thing for my cat-like reflexes).  Just keep patient and let your rod/reel do the work for you.  I am guessing from your different incidents that this was the problem.  If you are using a schooley type rod (wheel reel, stiff fiberglass rod, one eye) use your hand to play the fish out (or better yet, spend the $15 on a spinning rod and reel that will allow you to have a drag).  And some of the comments about gentz worms and weaker hooks is pretty accurate, but I have also heard about the fingernail polish trick.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

arrowhead

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:39 PM »
I have only two rods. Both have spinning reels, with 4 pound trielene line. Its new line and i always use a palomar not!  I set the drag by using a fish scale so the drag slips just under 2 pounds or pressure. I check my line often to see it there are any friads or damaged areas.
And I caught the big crappie in a farm pound in johnson county.  But I'm  going to have to get stronger hooks incase if I hook up with some more big fish.  Thanks for the tips guys!

arrowhead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.