Author Topic: 10" Pro thermal tip-up  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
10" Pro thermal tip-up
« on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:55 PM »
I just picked up 2 of these. Does anyone use them? How do you like them?

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10" Pro thermal tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:58 PM »
If you are talking about the frabill tip ups, I have 2 also and like them so far.  I have not been sucessful yet but just started tip up fishing last year.  They are good for protecting against freeze in and are pretty visible.  The thing they need is a longer flag though.
<br />

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I have a few of them, and will be getting more.  Mine are all set for walleye with white line, and florocarbon leader.  I really like them for night fishing.  They really do keep the hole from freezing up.  The clip on tip up lights I have work great. 

My only issue was fishing with a friend who has a 10" auger... They do not span the hole, and sit there and float.  It was not really a problem, but more of a pain in the butt.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I have a couple and they work great.
I usually put a hand warmer in the little tacklebox when it is real cold.
This helps to keep the hole from freezing.

If you drill a 10" hole, make a little "volcano" with the snow / ice this will keep the tipups from floating in the water.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:28 PM »
3rd attempt to post

They wont float well enough in a 10" hole if you get a decent fish on they will pull it under.....I had it happen, BUT I had it tethered to ice screw just in case.....but had i not it would be long gone......36" pike....took it down 14" ice hole and to the length of tether....

If they floated better I would float them in the summer and wait for flags :)

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:17 PM »
they work great.  they keep the holes way more open than classic style tipups.   plus they also have a compartment to store you hook

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I hated them, dumped those things long ago for Beaver Dams and hole covers.  Had a spool fall off, and they didn't spin very freely IMO.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:08 PM »
3rd attempt to post

They wont float well enough in a 10" hole if you get a decent fish on they will pull it under.....I had it happen, BUT I had it tethered to ice screw just in case.....but had i not it would be long gone......36" pike....took it down 14" ice hole and to the length of tether....

If they floated better I would float them in the summer and wait for flags :)
Like jug fishing with a fish indicator...DNR and jug fishing...mmm   :nono:
Thread killer

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I don't really like them.  :(  There are some on the market that are way better.

The flags are short.  Again, the 10 inch hole can give you problems with a large fish.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I have a few of them, and will be getting more.  Mine are all set for walleye with white line, and florocarbon leader.  I really like them for night fishing.  They really do keep the hole from freezing up.  The clip on tip up lights I have work great. 

My only issue was fishing with a friend who has a 10" auger... They do not span the hole, and sit there and float.  It was not really a problem, but more of a pain in the butt.
Same here.  I use my 5 for walleye and the heritage lakers for the pike.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I have 3 thermals and a few beaver dams and usually put out the beavers.  the thermal spin very nicely but are a little more of a pain to set up imo.  one nice thing about the thermals is you can catch crappie and perch on them. they also fit nicely in a bucket.  cant go wrong with the thermals.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Great for perch on a nice day that is where it ends Heavy blowing snow the flags froze down How long the cat fish was on I do not know but all the line was gone.What a mess Never had that problem with my Beaver Dams.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:54 PM »
i also had problems with the flags not going off several times so i dont use them.

Offline begs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:00 AM »
make sure you run the line right i believe is runs counterclockwise...i have to and love them...i just landed a 15 3/4" largemouth on mine for the first time i love them and will get more

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:14 AM »
i cant see how it would be any different going either direction.maybe i just got 5 bad ones but they stuck on me several times and cost me fish so that was enough for me.i usually use the green sticks they call the Maine design,light weight and don't let me down.the heritage laker is nice smooth trip but little heavier.beaver dams are nice,very smooth but a little heavy and pricey.the polar tip up is good ,smooth,but i like a little taller flag.the wind tip ups are good some days but can be a pain.on all tip ups you should always pull on your hook like a fish and make sure it is operating right.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2010, 07:59 AM »
If you put the flag on the inside of the bar I have seen it catch on a fast running fish....on the outside I have never seen it catch. I now have 4 of these, but I run an 8 inch hole.....Love them....

I have also considered adding telecoping flag poles on 2 of them for deep snow applications. Not trying to revive old threads just some thoughts from this summers mods.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I bought one of these last year. I love that it keeps the whole open longer than a traditional tip-up. Just pack some snow around it for a "seal" and your good to go. I've used them just fine on a 10" hole, ya just gotta build up around the hole and not clean it down to the ice, works just fine. I caught some nice northerns on it last year, now I'm looking to get 2-3 more this winter! My only complaint would be the short flag but it's never been a problem for me, a tall flag is just always a bit nicer. And you can fit a bunch of them in a 5 gallon bucket!

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:54 AM »
when fishing in extreme conditions they are junk IMO flag too small, shaft to short still feeeze up even when piling snow around em and when left overnight chippin em out after the wind blows all the snow away, can be a pain tryin not to breakem i have fished with two different friends that had em and yea you can fit alot of em in a 5 gallon  bucket and thats cool cause thats where they should stay HT's, beaverdams or any of that type are great just my opinion others may disagree but i am speaking from experience

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Have 4 of them.  Love them, no complaints here!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:14 PM »
when fishing in extreme conditions they are junk IMO flag too small, shaft to short still feeeze up even when piling snow around em and when left overnight chippin em out after the wind blows all the snow away, can be a pain tryin not to breakem i have fished with two different friends that had em and yea you can fit alot of em in a 5 gallon  bucket and thats cool cause thats where they should stay HT's, beaverdams or any of that type are great just my opinion others may disagree but i am speaking from experience

What?? Nobody else is speaking from experience?? Luckily someone is!! Oh wait... I LOVE mine and never had ANY problem with them in the 8 years I've had them.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:40 PM »
3rd year on mine and have no problems at all.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:51 AM »
I have had pro thermals for over 10 years and love them. Love how easy they are to set up and take down , easy to keep from getting wind flags , they trip without fail , they keep the hole open much longer , I pike fish so the minnow clip is great so you don't get minnow flags. I think keeping light out of the hole in shallow pike fishing helps too.

On the down side the spool shafts are a bit short but that is usually not a problem in ny , they are a little delicate , just don't beat them up too bad and they will last , and the flags are a bit short but I made clip on extension flags for use at long distances I will post pics later. 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:29 AM »
I have about 15 of them. They are my go to tip ups during thin ice. Nice and light and cover the hole to keep it open. I also have the best tipups made right now too. Indian Hill Ice traps.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:21 AM »
.... and the flags are a bit short but I made clip on extension flags for use at long distances I will post pics later. 
I would like to see that!!

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:00 AM »
If those tips ups freeze in, they're gone though. I had one that froze in and i tried to pull it out and it broke the black spool right off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.