Author Topic: Electric Power head for Eskimo Quantum Auger  (Read 792 times)

Offline GZ22

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Power head for Eskimo Quantum Auger
« on: Dec 23, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been covered but I have used the search function and I can't find an answer.

I have an Eskimo F1 Rocket auger that I got used to replace my 1970s Jiffy model 30 and it's been solid.  I have both an 8 and a 10 inch flighting for it.

My question is if anyone has gotten an electric powerhead and used their existing power auger bits with a 7/8" shaft and clockwise rotation like my Eskimo ones.  While they may not cut as fast or as smooth as a shaver blade that you'd see on an ION or an E40, I love the durability of these quantum serrated blades. 

While I do realize I could go the power drill route, I really don't care for the way a drill feels on my wrists, even with the auxiliary handle.  The clam plate could work if I made an adapter to the larger shaft diameter, but I'd prefer a dedicated auger powerhead.  Is the clam plate worth it?

So basically, if I wanted to go electric, it would be a shame to have to invest in new bits when these work so very well....but electric power would be quite nice for much of the time. Especially when I'm not drilling 4 feet of late season ice.

Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Electric Power head for Eskimo Quantum Auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2023, 11:30 AM »
I think the better  solution would be spend on a composite auger and add that to your gas auger via an adapter . This will get you through this season with a lighter set up . Then look for deals on a Clam Plate and cordless drill in the off season . Yes the Clam Plate is great ...no learning curve . That being said some drills have a anti kick back feature .

https://geteskimo.com/products/pistol-bit-adapter
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GZ22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2023, 06:56 PM »
I actually had considered this.   The main benefit for me going electric is the fume-free tent and/or shack.  But of course investing in a pistol bit and a clam plate as you suggest does offer versatility. Then I can use the gas powerhead for late season when I want more horsepower. 

This Eskimo F1 is reasonably light at 22 lbs. Matching some strikemaster electric setups. So weight isn't a huge deal. 

In my profession I always have chainsaw fuel to use up, but also acquiring a high torque brushless drill for work is also no big deal. I've already got lots of DeWalt 20v equipment.

So I'm at a crossroads.  Perhaps I'll take your advice.   

My main worry with the composite flighting is durability.  I feel like you'd have to clear the slush out of your hole a lot more in order to take the stress off the flighting.    But maybe not....I've never been around one. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2023, 07:52 PM »
As far a the composite flighting I have yet to recall a post on IceShanty or the FB pages I follow concerning any worries on it breaking . If you are in the Dewalt Platform getting a bare tool maybe the way to go ...unless a combo kit is on sale/discount .. the 900 series is the ones I recommend ..(DCD) 991,995,998 and the 999 . Slush can be removed buy placing the drill in reverse . Note adding some blue Loctite to the bolts/hardware is a good idea.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.