Author Topic: Teddy lake yurt  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
Teddy lake yurt
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:25 PM »
I have reservations for teddy lake yurt this winter. Anyone ever ice fish Craig lake state park? Looking for pointers.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Teddy lake yurt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:37 PM »
What weekend do you have it? I have it first weekend of Feb..
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Feb 18-21. Have you been there before in the winter? Is it really a 3.5 mile hike from the parking area? I went there back in October and was able to walk in from the gate it was only a 5 min walk or so. Then we walked around the Craig lake loop that was about 8 miles with heading up to clair and back as well

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:25 PM »
I rented it last year. Lucky last year they were logging about 2 miles up so we only had to hike about a mile or so. But yes. The designated parking area is at US 41 on the Nestoria side entry road. Its 3.5 miles. Mainly up hill to the yurt.
. It's a snowmobile trail in the winter. So typically packed pretty good. But listen for the snowmobiles cuz they won't slow down. If you had a snowmobile you could probably park it at that gate. I've never ice fished Craig or Teddy. Teddy has a spring in it and my buddy fell through the ice last year. So be careful and have fun.
-Sro

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Oh yeah, and no live bait.
-Sro

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Loaded up on plastics I don't know what is even in the lake. Hopefully there isn't a ton of snow up that way

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Sent you a PM.
-Sro

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:54 AM »
We stayed there during the summer.  A winter trip would be hard unless you have a snowmobile.  One thing you should know is that the yurt is infested with mice!  Hang any food you keep in the yurt.  You will still have night visitors.  There is a log at the yurt and most entries are rodent related.  We were there in 2016 and maybe they did something to cut down this problem.  The yurt itself and the setting are wonderful.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Just a couple of lines from the DNR Craig Lake Park regs:
FO
FISHING REGULATIONS –
 CRAIG LAKE STATE PARK WATERS,
BARAGA COUNTY
By authority conferred on the Natural Resources Commission and the Department of Natural Resources
by Part 487 of 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.48701 to 324.48740, it is ordered that effective April 1, 2014, the
following section(s) of the Fisheries Order shall read as follows:
The following regulations shall apply to the waters of Craig Lake State Park, Baraga County:
Statewide open seasons apply.
Minimum size of walleye 15
inches.
The daily possession limit on all species shall be according to statewide regulations, except that the
daily possession limit on walleye shall be two, and that muskellunge, northern pike, largemouth
bass, and smallmouth bass fishing shall be
catch and release only and none shall be possessed.
Method of take shall be hook and line fishing with artificial lures only.
Artificial lures are construed
to include any form of commonly accepted fishing lure.
No live, dead or preserved bait
or organic bait substance of any type shall be used or possessed.

It looks like artificial scented plastics are OK. Let us know how you did.

Offline KRSSmitty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Stayed there a couple years ago in the winter.  We were able to drive right up to the gate at the Teddy Lake yurt, although I wouldn’t expect that to be the case very often.

We fished Teddy and Craig - I believe we caught one perch or sunfish that was maybe 3-4” out of Teddy and didn’t even have a mark on Craig.

Had the whole place to ourselves and had fun, but wouldn’t go through the hassle of dragging all of that gear around out there again.

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Didn't much just a small perch and sunfish. It was a very rejuvenating trip ice wasn't in the best of shape due to heavy snowfall.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:35 PM »
Didn't much just a small perch and sunfish. It was a very rejuvenating trip ice wasn't in the best of shape due to heavy snowfall.

Did you already go? I thought you had it in Feb?
-Sro

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Must have messed up on dates. I went in February. I'm thinking of going back next year and focusing on lakes in the area if I used a snowmobile to get to the gate it wouldn't be bad at all to explore surrounding areas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.