The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Avoided the skunk  (Read 676 times)

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
Avoided the skunk
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:57 PM »
  Felt it was time to try and target some salmon, figured it was going to be cold so hey why not. Got some giant smelts and figured to hit the ice at zero dark thirty. It was a cold frosty one mile hike out there. Got set up early and continued to wait all day changing bait and moving around. Usually someone gets something a pickeral, a perch, bass something. I thought even though it doesn't happen much that I would be wearing the hat this sunday. Waited through lunch without even a wind flag than finally my deep one goes off right under the ice, by the time I get there lines ripped out and the baits gone of course why not. An hour later probably 2:15 my 30' trap goes off, bingo this is the one I've been waiting for its the spot. Get to the reel and its screaming, yesss, my buddy is yelling grab it grab it, I give it a couple more seconds than slam it's on. Felt like forever but I'm sure it was only minutes but I forgot what a salmon fights like on light mono. Nothing like brookies or rainbows that's for sure. Packed up with one fish released, and one missed. Still found some slush but overall it was a great day on the ice. At least I wont be the one wearing the hat. Until Sunday maybe splake or big browns idk. Love this cold stay safe. (20.5")   Time for bed.....

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Avoided the skunk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:09 PM »
Hooray for the one fish! A nice salmon at that.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:17 AM »
  Nice fish. That is a great way to avoid the skunk.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Nice fish and way to show endurance. Out in the cold all day without action is extremely tough.
Great job!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:55 PM »
A lot of times, that one nice fish is all it takes to make for a great feeling at the end of the day @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.