Author Topic: Rod and Reel question  (Read 888 times)

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod and Reel question
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:29 PM »
 I don't know there exact name but i have always used a rod with like a spring on the end, real basic panfish setup.  Anyways I got a actual ice rod and reel and I tried it yesterday with a slip bobber setup.  Didn't work well at all becuse when a fish would take the bobber under and I would go to reel the knot and bead would be frozen and I woould't be able to reel, so I would end up having to just pull the line up with my hands.  How does eveyone else fish these.  Do you just you a slip bobber knot with no bobber and jig it?  Anyways thought I would ask, I was so excited to try the rod and reel out so I could actually reel a fish up and then was extremly dissappointed when I couldn't.  Thanks again Adam
Adam

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rod and Reel question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:31 PM »
I am a big believer in the spring bobber my-self.  On 3 of my poles i have bought then mounted on them already and they work wonders for those light bites!!
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:20 PM »
You need to get a slip-bobber that allows your bobber-stop to be underwater.  This way it won't freeze.  I like the spring bobber as well, but if you're fishing deep a slip can help.  But if it's cold, your eyelets will be the first to freeze.   

I like the ice buster bobbers.  Check them out on the web.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 AM »
HT enterprise "Panfish Popper" You can get them at 877icefish.com (national sports supply) for about $10.00. Comes with the spring bobber already attatched. Great outfit. They also have reels with infinite anti-reverse and multiple ball bearings for the same price.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:01 PM »
i was told to try petroleom jelly on the slipknot.  it supposed to prevent freezing.   dunno as i have not tryied it yet.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.