Author Topic: Safe spudding  (Read 9178 times)

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Safe spudding
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Already sifted thru several threads, but haven't really read any information to answer the question on my mind. I was talking with a buddy (mr. Knowitall) about spudding/drilling, and in theory, he made a good point suggesting that if you're on thinner ice 2 1/2"-4 1/2" (which will be more abundant than thicker ice this year here in mid/southern michigan) spudding might actually be unsafe to a certain extent in certain circumstances such as spudding too much in or around in one area might causing  pressure cracks, weakening surrounding ice, and by drilling INSTEAD OF SPUDDING (after safe ice is found of course) would be a safer bet. So to put my question in lame man's terms: When to put the soud bar down, and start drilling on THINNER safe ice. I know there are variables (ice quality, snow conditions etc...) but if someone could just bring for some general information regarding the issue, your two cents is welcome here. Thanks in advance.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Safe spudding
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:01 PM »
we try not to hurt the thin ice in any way ??? even took off the spikes as they were causing cracks to form.it would have been prudent to wait for thicker ice butttttttt sometimes 2" is all you get
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:05 PM »
I like to check the ice with a spud. Your safety is most important than saving/hurting the ice??

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:14 PM »
Hahahah i knew i shouldve kept it short and simple! There should  be a live chat room in here so add cases like me can explain themselves a little more clearly.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Are you saying that you use the spud to punch the hole through the ice you're actually gonna fish out of? If so I agree. However, while walking on skeptical ice, I always spud in front of me. Take a few steps then spud again. If I find a patch of thin ice, my spud will tell me before I step foot through.  I don't like using a spud to make holes only use it for safety.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I wouldn't make my holes with the spud bar, but I wouldn't be bashful about smacking my spud bar into the ice often as I walk.  Mine seems to be pretty good and went right through 3"+ today a couple of times.  I do hit the ice HARD with it.  Heck of a lot better for it to go through than me!  I didn't use a spud bar until a couple of years ago and will not do early and late ice without one.  About 10 years ago, when I was young and dumb, I did the whole test drill a hole here test drill one there.  I drilled about 8 on my way out to my spot, all about 4" of ice or better.  I decided it was good enough and just went.  I got between the 2 points I was going to fish, put the jiffy auger point to the ice and the tip went right through, no drilling required (about 1/2").  Talk about stupid!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Are you saying that you use the spud to punch the hole through the ice you're actually gonna fish out of? If so I agree. However, while walking on skeptical ice, I always spud in front of me. Take a few steps then spud again. If I find a patch of thin ice, my spud will tell me before I step foot through.  I don't like using a spud to make holes only use it for safety.

Yes, exactly. I like to travel as light as possible. So if its safe to just bring the spud bar for both checking ice, and making holes, thatd be ideal. But not so much if it puts my safety at risk. Again, i was just skeptical on the theory. If bring the spud just to check, and hauling the drill along with me is safer, then i will bite the bullet and haul both along with me.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:40 PM »
when I was a we sprout, my grandpa would drag me along.
he would only use a spud. to check ice, chip a hole for set lines.
or chip out a jigging hole . that's all we had fifty years ago.
 he never learned to swim
I still use one for first ice.
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:55 PM »
the rule of thumb that I use is that at first ice I will use my spud bar. if it breaks through in 2 hits I don't go out any farther. if I get out a ways then I will drill a test hole and actually measure the ice. once I get atleast 4 inch from shore to where I want to fish then I don't take the spud bar out anymore.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Since I have started early ice using only my cordless drill I have been leaving my spud at home.. For the same reason, that a spud hit weakens the ice far more than a precision round hole cut in it.. I just drill when I want to check. My spud is heavier than my drill too..

<°)))>{

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:15 PM »
If spudding will break the ice, youd better stay off that ice.

There is a chat room. Link is at the very top of the page below the iceshanty banner.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:52 PM »
I have been on ice and drilled it and backed off thinking I'm glad I didn't whack it with my spud, also started thinking I was glad I didn't even have that old boat anchor in my hands..

I don't hope to influence anyone's personal safety practices..  Most of the time when I'm doing this the ice is too thin for most folks.. Just my thoughts on spudding vs checking with a drill auger.. As long as you check!!

What really grinds my gears is when you got 6 inches of ice, trails and holes all over, 6 guys fishing, and some genius spuds his way over to me, whack, whack, every 3 feet when he is passing by old open holes... How's the fishing? Sucks now!

Morons, they are on the ice too..

<°)))>{

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:42 AM »
If spudding will break the ice, youd better stay off that ice.
Well said!
 I know the thumping will scare fish.
But I'd rather get skunked than fall through.
Once I know the ice is over 6" there's no point in spudding your way out on most lakes.
But the big lakes with inlets /outlets and /or warm water springs can find you wishing you were thumping your way out.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:00 AM »
The whole point of a spud bar to me is testing thin or rotten ice. I spud constantly while walking out slowly. I have a heavy all steel spud bar. If it goes through on one hard hit I stop and back track. The psi a spud bar puts on ice is far more than your feet, if my spud bar does not go through with one hard hit I am pretty safe. If you walk out with out a spud bar you are playing Russian Roulette.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:10 AM »
one season i was checking early ice. went out not over my head and drilled a hole and measured it and it was 5" mostly clear ice. i stepped to my left and that was parallel to shore while facing out to the lake and my left foot/leg fell thru to my knee. i never did figure that one out, but i did get off the ice for a few more days. that was a head scratcher.
wearing a float suit sure eases some anguish checking early ice and having practice getting out does too.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:19 AM »
i cant count how many times a spud has kept me on top of the ice where i like to be.it really helps on thin ice with snow cover.and the only time i ever fell thru was walking off of the end of a dock.i shouldve spudded first.i don't just carry a spud i carry all the gear to save somebody because everyone around here pulls up to the lake sees people out and just walks out like its safe.without even knowing it could be 2 inches of pucker butt ice.anyhow i spud  and get the auger out when i get  to my spot.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:23 AM »
A couple of years ago I walked out onto early ice. I spudded my way out about 30 ft and drilled a hole and measured 5 inches! good to go. I walked out another 50 ft and noticed the ice "looked" different. I grabbed the spud and gave the ice a wack. The bar went clean through and kept going as it slipped out of my hand. :o  I backed right over my sled and kept going right off the lake. As far as I'm concerned, that spud gave it's life so I would live. My new spud bar has a leash ;)

Like said before, if using a spud will cause the ice to be dangerous... then the ice is dangerous, get off it or accept the fact that you're probably going to get wet.

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:29 AM »
My first season ice fishing I didn't own an auger. I just used my spud to make holes. The ice was usually between 3"-8" where I fished that year. Never had a problem with it hurting the ice.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:49 AM »
It seems many people don't understand how lakes freeze up. They don't always ice the whole lake over at once in one night. One night freeze out maybe 25 feet out off of shore then open water, another night freeze out another 25 feet until open water, and so on. So you could go out off shore and find 5" or 6" but go out farther and only find 1" or 2" I have seen 5 inches of ice and still open water out in the middle.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:02 AM »
i know how it freezes.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Since I have started early ice using only my cordless drill I have been leaving my spud at home.. For the same reason, that a spud hit weakens the ice far more than a precision round hole cut in it.. I just drill when I want to check. My spud is heavier than my drill too..

<°)))>{
                      Just what I want to do. drill a hole to tell Im standing on 1" of ice, I think I'll take my spud, Im not worried about "hurting" the ice, I want to stay topside!!  Always spud out in front of where you walk!!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:38 AM »
After all the threads about going out on early ice I can't believe there are still those who don't use a spud bar? It is not feasible to drill a hole every step you take out. If you spud every step your chances of falling through are slim. If the ice is so thin that a hit with a spud will weaken it much the spud will go through with one good hit.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:58 AM »
After reading the previous twenty posts about spudding or drilling I am surprised no one mentioned  "wear flotation" until you are absolutely certain the ice is good. Anytime I'm walking from point A to point B particularly early season I wear a flote suit or a life preserver. As Eriksat1 said the entire lake does not freeze uniformly. There are a lot of factors that go into a particular lake and how it freezes. And that's not to mention unknown springs and currents. Trust me, I only went for a swim once and would prefer do my swimming at the YMCA. Be safe.      Lou

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:03 AM »
                      Just what I want to do. drill a hole to tell Im standing on 1" of ice, I think I'll take my spud, Im not worried about "hurting" the ice, I want to stay topside!!  Always spud out in front of where you walk!!

Like I said, that's what I do, not trying to sell it or say its better... I choose to leave my 20lb spud at home since I've gone electric..

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:04 AM »
After reading the previous twenty posts about spudding or drilling I am surprised no one mentioned  "wear flotation" until you are absolutely certain the ice is good. Anytime I'm walking from point A to point B particularly early season I wear a flote suit or a life preserver. As Eriksat1 said the entire lake does not freeze uniformly. There are a lot of factors that go into a particular lake and how it freezes. And that's not to mention unknown springs and currents. Trust me, I only went for a swim once and would prefer do my swimming at the YMCA. Be safe.      Lou
              I have a striker hard water suit, that hasn't been tested.  I have fished over 50 years on first and last ice and everything in between, and have never fell in, I know what my spud will do and just don't be stupid!!  Last ice is very hard to read as to the honeycombing process, that's the most dangerous ice, as you can go in standing on 10" ice!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:07 AM »
           Last ice is very hard to read as to the honeycombing process, that's the most dangerous ice, as you can go in standing on 10" ice!!

I have been on 20 inches that went really bad, vertical crystals...

Here is a very interesting site...

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/thawed-ice/

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Good article, that's honeycombing at its finest!!   Water filtering thru the ice, causing it to look that way!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Good article, that's honeycombing at its finest!!   Water filtering thru the ice, causing it to look that way!

Using the terms in the article, we walked out on 20 inches it was late stage 5, by the time I left it was late stage 6, you could literally stomp your foot and kick out all 20 inches if you wanted to... It was spooky, 2 miles out on Erie.. I decided to leave the fish and take my life home with me.. Two other guys stayed out there...

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:36 AM »
  That sun and warm wind really kills late ice!!  Was over there last year also, I quit long before most guys that took a swim, 2-4 miles out aint the place to take a swim, well anywhere aint the place to take a swim in the winter!!!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:48 PM »
I know how it freezes.  Too slowly every year. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.