Author Topic: I broke through today  (Read 9609 times)

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
Re: I broke through today
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:26 AM »
you gave us all a stern reminder, sure glad youre ok
youngster

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I know you made it out OK but might want to check out a floating suit!!

X2. Bought floating bibs this summer
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Glad you're ok.  Hope the boys are also....not easy watching something like that happening and not panicking.  Your son preformed magnificently.  Mega kudos to him.  Two years ago while scooting across Saginaw Bay on sleds, my buds sled broke thru but I was able to avoid the soft area.  Since then I wear a self inflating suspender type vest.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Glad you are ok...good reminder for us all about being prepared no matter what. Don't let it slow you down from fishing but scary nonetheless. Take care. FH

Offline BlackHillsIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 PM »
New purchases and preps--

-100' rope at Harbor Freight.  I will connect it to a boat bumper with a caribiner.  I will put a loop in the rope by the buoy for a handle.  (considering 100' of paracord since it's easier to store and plenty strong for this use)
-Taking the throwable cushions off the boat and putting them with the ice fishing stuff.
-Looking at PFDs, will prob use a life jacket for now if it looks questionable (or not fish)
-2 pairs of picks, one for me and one for my fishing buddy
-Rope/buoy throwing lessons for boys on next trip out.
-Explain not to run right up to the hole if there is a next time.  Would have been easy to have 2 swimmers.
-I am going to lace my boots loosely so I can kick them off from now on.

New insights
-Read the ice.  My 13 year old later said he could tell the ice there was different.  We fished two lakes that day.  Both had broken ice at the edges.  At the first he could break a chunk of ice off, drop it, and it wouldn't break further.  At the final lake, the ice would shatter when he dropped it-same thickness.  He said the only other time he had seen ice shatter like that was few years ago before ice out on our home lake.  I guess my 13 year old gets to give me ice reading lessons.
-Everyone asks me if the water was cold.  It never occurred to me while in the water that I was cold. 
-Both boys are chomping at the bit to fish again.  I have some time after Christmas.  If the weather cooperates we will be out soon.

Thank you for all your thoughtful comments,
Scott

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:33 PM »
That's all good news, Scott.      :thumbsup:

It's really great the boys are chompin' at the bit to get out fishin' again.

They and you are very lucky.   

Have a good luck season.    ;)2

Offline NamVet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:37 AM »
I fish alone all the time due to being new to Wisconsin, but I'm always cautious on the ice.  I carry rope, picks, and a flotation cushion, but realize that may not be enough sometimes.  I don't venture out if there is any doubt of thickness, conditions, etc.  Hopefully, I'll hook up with a buddy down the road, but until then I appreciate the reminder to be save.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Happy that your here to share your story!

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Wow...
Just read this story.  They always say its "when" not "if" you go through. Scary stuff for sure!!!
Kudos to you for staying calm and to your boys for quick thinking.
Be safe and get back "on the horse" ASAP.
God Bless!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline altenfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing this story Scott and I am glad you and the boys are OK!  Great reminder about the sometimes unpredictable quality of ice

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Glad you made it out  ;)

But it sure seems like you were taking risks  ....   early season ice then 4 days of 60 degree weather spell trouble in my book.

And i would never bring my kids out in those conditions.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline BlackHillsIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I measured the ice, it was clear ice, it seemed safe, and then I fell through.  So yes, it was poor judgment.

Scott

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:07 AM »
I measured the ice, it was clear ice, it seemed safe, and then I fell through.  So yes, it was poor judgment.

Scott

Fair enough ......   i wasn't trying to be a ****   ....  just pointing out a thing or two that would hurt the ice. We are all so anxious that sometimes we don't use all of our smarts and i am certainly guilty of that on multiple occasions.

And remember i  did start my post with the statement  "glad you are ok!"
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story glad you're ok!!!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:14 AM »
good post ship of fools                           basshole                             what a story blackhillsice makes us all think im sure real glad you are okay and great job by your boys ,you obviously doing something right.good post idahogator

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:51 PM »

Scott

Can you describe a little more about the area where it happened- depth, dist from shore, etc? How far away were the bubblers? Was there a stream outlet nearby or anything? Pressure cracks? Why do you think the ice in that spot was weak?

Offline BlackHillsIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Neil,

By bubbler I meant my minnow bucket aerator. It was a prairie lake named Curlew in SW South Dakota.  Google Curlew Dam SD and you will see it.  I walked out from the boat launch.  My boys were about 20 yds off the launch. I walked out 40 yds, then gradually moved in and right, towards the dam.  When I went through I was maybe 40 yds off shore and 40 yds right of the boat launch.  I think 14 FOW.  There were no pressure ridges or open water. 

My 13 yr old was playing with ice at shore and saw it was poor ice.  He compared it to the crystallized ice just before ice out at our home lake.  He walked out and showed me a chunk of the ice he had broken off-as he stands here now he says, " I was just showing you it was sketchy."  I ask if he was saying we need to get out of here, his response-"no".

I have heard Curlew is has a history of sketchy ice, but who knows.  We have had a warm winter with only a few cold snaps to create ice.  Looking at my 57701 zip forecast with 65 highs the next 2 days I think my ice fishing may be done for this season.

I camped and fished Sheridan Lake this weekend.  It was warm enough to create pooled water Sat and Sun.  This sort of froze overnight creating a skin you would break through and drop a half inch.  It was a battle of mind vs gut to deal with it.  There were crew-cab trucks, cars, and quads everywhere but it was still uncomfortable for me to walk.  I fished 8 to 4 Sat and Sun.  Before my "dip" it would have been carefree, now it's not.

The single joy of this has been watching my boys continue to fish like madmen.  My 13 yr old prefers no electronics-he may only fish a few hours then goes to fly his RC plane, start a fire, talk to neighboring fisherman, or go to the inlet stream and chop ice with a hatchet.  Point being he is not worried about the ice.  This is a kid who puts safety first.

My 9 yr old is a focused fish chaser.  He does not skip meals, unless we are on the ice.  He is a tall 150 pound wrestling and football playing machine.  Today when getting ready to haul gear off the ice he asked if we could cook brats on the fire my Brother in Law made.  I said no thinking I hadn't showered in 3 days and was ready to get home.  On the drive out of the campground I realized he had eaten 1 ham sandwich the entire day.  Point being he is still fish focused.

Scott

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:28 PM »
happen to me too earlier this seaon. glad ur ok :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.