Author Topic: I broke through today  (Read 9607 times)

Offline BlackHillsIce

• IceShanty Rookie
I broke through today
« on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:47 PM »
     I took my two sons (9 and 13) and one of their buddies (also 9) fishing today.  The lake we were on had 4 wheelers on it a week ago.  It's been warm here-60 degree highs for 4 days.  An adult friend and I had fished this lake 2 days previous and thought it was very safe-lots of clear ice.  Today I saw 6-8 inches of ice so we ventured out.  We had fished for an hour when I decided to move around more. 
     My 330 lb frame was walking across the ice, when over the noise of my bubbler and the chair I was dragging, the ice sounded suddenly different.  Next thing I know I am looking up through the water at light.  I untangled from vexi line and tried to crawl out forward but the ice kept breaking.  The boys were closer to shore and saw me, they all ran towards me.  I told them to get a rope (which I hadn't brought and we didn't have).  Next I remember trying to float on my back and lever up on the ice, head on one side of the open water and feet on the other and roll onto solid ice-didn't work.  Then I then turned around to where I had come from and tried to crawl out but the multi tool in my chest pocket caught the bottom edge of the ice and stopped me. I ditched the multi tool.  I reached down to unlace my boots and but they were double knotted tightly and I didn't think I could unlace them, so I gave up on that.  I tried to crawl out again from where I had come from but I still felt resistance on my shoulders.  I fell back in the water and took the straps off my bibs. 
     By then my 9 year old had relay raced with his friend back to the Suburban and returned with a 2' bungee cord.  I told him to throw it to me, he did-both ends.  I threw it back to him and explained I needed one end and he needed to pull me out.  He handed me one end and pulled me out to my waist.  I told him to keep pulling.  He then yelled, "A little help here!"  Then his buddy helped drag me back about 15 ft across the ice.  I then sat up, took off my coveralls and boots and walked back to shore.  My 12 year old had run ahead to start the car and turn on the seat warmer. 
     My phone was soaked and dead so we beelined for home so my wife wouldn't worry.  The whole fam is in shock and I have learned something.  I was bulletproof and I thought sensible before this.  I will bring a rope, not fish alone, and only fish when it is cold and there are other people already out from now on. 

Scott

Offline Fishbum82

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: I broke through today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Scary!  Glad all ended well for you.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:57 PM »
holy crap! glad you're ok

Offline WET-KNOTS II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:30 AM »
 :o Glad that youre ok. Careful next time!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:36 AM »
Mr. BlackHillsIce
                         Scott,  I'm so very glad you did get back on top ~ amazing what a bungee can do, WOW !      :o

That is the most vivid survivor's story I've heard in all my 3/4 century.   

I felt I was there, in that with you, feeling the chill coming on and my face becoming wet, but, it was just my eyes leaking for you and the kids.

I'm fine as frog hair now and I wish you a complete recovery ~ it's a lot more than warming up and thanking those heroic helpers.

Please let us know more, when you get back on this Shanty of Brotherhood.      ;)2   

Tom

Offline BlackHillsIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:55 AM »
Tom,

We are all good.  I got home and changed into dry clothes after driving home in wet FOTLs.  It was a quiet ride.  I feel ok but my boys are a bit traumatized/memorable day.  They both went to bed early (weird). 
     I appreciate your considerate response. 

Sincerely,
Scott

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Glad you made it out. Those boys did a good job.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I know you made it out OK but might want to check out a floating suit!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:04 AM »
What a story, glad you are OK

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:48 AM »
MY GOD....so glad you are OK. Incredible. You should post this on the main page for all to see.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Scary stuff!  Glad it ended well.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Very happy u made it out safely....thank you very much for sharing the story and lessons learned...your boys did well today...

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Thank god you are ok.I always carry rope,but I fish alone so it won't help. I do carry my spikes around my neck.it's good the boys were fast thinking!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:16 PM »
Wow !  Glad to hear your ok.    Get some ice picks please!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Glad your all OK!  Scary stuff for sure! To help the kids "over come" sit down and let them vent a while about how they felt and their fears now. Letting them share the scare will help them move past and still want to join you.

We're having the same weather thing here in WY. I'm 280 and wearing a life jacket, my buddies are making wise cracks about the "Scary Cop" and his life jacket, and picks and rope. I'm sending this link to all of them!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:00 PM »

To help the kids "over come" sit down and let them vent a while about how they felt and their fears now. Letting them share the scare will help them move past and still want to join you.

Well said Sir.      :bow:

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Glad your out safe!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:14 PM »
OMG :o :o  An incredible experience. Glad you are ok. Thanks for sharing your story, hopefully others will learn from your misfortune. Kudos to your boys for keeping their heads and being able to rescue you.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Glad you were able to be here to tell your story....     :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NodakBuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Glad you made it out safely!  You have reminded me to get my rope out of the boat and show the kids how to throw it. We would all be wise to cover what to do and where the safety rope is, just in case each time out I suppose.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:39 PM »
     I took my two sons (9 and 13) and one of their buddies (also 9) fishing today.  The lake we were on had 4 wheelers on it a week ago.  It's been warm here-60 degree highs for 4 days.  An adult friend and I had fished this lake 2 days previous and thought it was very safe-lots of clear ice.  Today I saw 6-8 inches of ice so we ventured out.  We had fished for an hour when I decided to move around more. 
     My 330 lb frame was walking across the ice, when over the noise of my bubbler and the chair I was dragging, the ice sounded suddenly different.  Next thing I know I am looking up through the water at light.  I untangled from vexi line and tried to crawl out forward but the ice kept breaking.  The boys were closer to shore and saw me, they all ran towards me.  I told them to get a rope (which I hadn't brought and we didn't have).  Next I remember trying to float on my back and lever up on the ice, head on one side of the open water and feet on the other and roll onto solid ice-didn't work.  Then I then turned around to where I had come from and tried to crawl out but the multi tool in my chest pocket caught the bottom edge of the ice and stopped me. I ditched the multi tool.  I reached down to unlace my boots and but they were double knotted tightly and I didn't think I could unlace them, so I gave up on that.  I tried to crawl out again from where I had come from but I still felt resistance on my shoulders.  I fell back in the water and took the straps off my bibs. 
     By then my 9 year old had relay raced with his friend back to the Suburban and returned with a 2' bungee cord.  I told him to throw it to me, he did-both ends.  I threw it back to him and explained I needed one end and he needed to pull me out.  He handed me one end and pulled me out to my waist.  I told him to keep pulling.  He then yelled, "A little help here!"  Then his buddy helped drag me back about 15 ft across the ice.  I then sat up, took off my coveralls and boots and walked back to shore.  My 12 year old had run ahead to start the car and turn on the seat warmer. 
     My phone was soaked and dead so we beelined for home so my wife wouldn't worry.  The whole fam is in shock and I have learned something.  I was bulletproof and I thought sensible before this.  I will bring a rope, not fish alone, and only fish when it is cold and there are other people already out from now on. 

Scott

Top of the page where it should be.      ;)2

Offline cubanice27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:49 PM »
spud bar/ice chisel and some picks bud!! Glad you made it out alive!! Have a great week and happy holidays!! God bless!!

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:02 PM »
You taught those boys a valuable lesson as well. Glad you are ok.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Me and a buddy of mine went through years ago, we were at a place in the middle of nowhere and got dropped of by our parents, if it wasnt for a few guys out drinking beer and 4 wheeling things may have went a whole lot differently than they did thats for sure ever since then I am very cautious and dont go on ice thats under 6inches

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Putting a rope and throwable in my sled right now. Meant to last time and forgot, next time I will have it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Glad you're on the topside! What gear did you lose? Sounds like the vex had a bad day. You should send your story to field and stream. Great story with tons of things to think about. Wow!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:17 PM »
What a well told story of survival. Scared the heck out of me reading it. Felt like I was there. Glad everyone is safe & all is well. Sounds like your young boys turned into young men in a short period of time. My hats off to them !! Good luck on the hardwater & by all means stay safe out there !!

Offline Cranker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us all that we are all human and not always in control.  This is the first year I have carried a throwable with rope already tied to it in my sled.  Those of you who just carry rope, I would ask you to go out in your driveway and see how difficult it can be to throw it without something tied to the end.  I tried and was surprised I couldn't throw it very far accurately.  Tied on the throwable and then no issue. 

Offline MontanaTom79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you are alright. Its always on the back of my mind when I bring the kids out. Definitely putting a rope in with the rest of my gear you just never know somethime. Happy Holidays glad everyone is safe and home now.
Tight Lines... Team rippin' n lips

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I keep a throwable and 50 feet of rope in my portable the entire ice season. Haven't needed to use it yet, but if someone needs help I will do whatever I can to get them out. Glad to hear you made it out to fish another day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.