Author Topic: My friend wants to try ice fishing but is afraid of falling through the ice  (Read 5663 times)

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
What are some ways I could reassure him so that he feels comfortable enough to try it out?

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
Have him read up on as much info as he can about ice generally, this site; http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ which is featured in a thread on this board is a good start. Don't downplay the dangers involved, ice fishing is an inherently dangerous sport, but most people never have an incident because of good judgment, proper equipment and preparation.

Take him out to a pond or lake where you know there is safe ice with all of your safety gear, an auger and a spud bar and demonstrate the bearing capacity of the ice. Cut some holes and measure the thickness of the ice, show him how to check the ice with the spud as he moves across the sheet and just let him watch others who are out enjoying whatever activities they are pursuing out there.

In the end he may still decide it's just not for him but he'll still be your friend.

Offline LAKEBOUND

• IceShanty Rookie
Get him a set of spikes to go around his neck to have something to help claw his way out, and some sort of floatation device. Even a regular life jacket under his big coat. I recommend those Mustang life jackets with the pull cord that you can inflate if in trouble. If he sees that he can be relatively safe, even if he hits the water, it might bring the confidence level up! Last case scenario, buy an Argo and tell him your going to troll on the ice!!!!! Lol! My most fearfull buddies will always come out in the amphibious vehicle! Yeah, they don't exactly pop back up on the ice, but at least your dry and floating till some one comes to help tug you back up on the ice to head for home, dry and warm!
My two cents!
Tom

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Not much different than a friend of mine that was terrified of water. I wanted them to go out in the kayak and they would have nothing to do with it. What we ended up doing was just skirting the shore line in about 6 inches of water. After a couple of trips around the lake we went out a little further. When they had enough of that we we backed off and called it a day. You possibly could get your friend acclimated to the feel, and sound of walking on a lake by just going along the shoreline a few times. Whatever you do don't try to push them when they start getting nervous. Good luck!

WS

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
Information is key,
Fear is good, its what keeps us on top of the ice.
Don't force him,
Don't have him commit to going out,
Just have him come and see what its like,
Show him the importance of spudding,
Explain your not going on borderline minimum safe ice.
Pfd's.
Those first steps on the ice is a big step for just about anybody

Bullelk34

Tell him to quit acting like a little girl, that should work. Insulting a guy's manhood can be a great motivator.  :)

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just imagined myself stomping up and down on the ice saying "See? It's safe!" and then *CRACK* *PLOOP* In I go. My friend yelling "Sh!t! I told you!!"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I just imagined myself stomping up and down on the ice saying "See? It's safe!" and then *CRACK* *PLOOP* In I go. My friend yelling "Sh!t! I told you!!"

That would take the cake!

WS

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
aside from the standard safety equipment, take him to a spot that has a history of catching more than fishing. while he'll have a lifejacket,spikes, & possibly cleats on he will be more likely distracted by the fish he catches taking his mind off the initial fear of the ice. :icefish:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If possible try not to have his first day out be really cold... The ice doesn't "talk" nearly as much on a 30 degree day. That's one thing that freaks out one of my buddies. It doesn't matter how man times I explain that the ice is popping and gurgling because it's getting thicker, he can't take it... But he's ok on a 35 degree day when it's quiet.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ice thickness chart may help ease his mind  ???

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
How about 5 or 6 shots of whiskey beforehand?   ;D  Nah, just kidding with that.  I would take him to a really busy lake where there are people all over the place.  Folks out with their kids fishing and throwing a football around.  Dogs running around.  I could see where it would be intimidating to step foot on a barren sheet of ice.  But, pulling up to a lake with a small city on it should ease his concerns.  It might not be the best for fishing, but it would certainly be reassuring for someone uncomfortable with being out on the ice. 

Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
go when others are on the ice, let him look through binoculars and see (10, 20,50?)people on the ice. Definitely educate him about the good, bad and the ugly. 

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
convince him to go out an a very cold day when the ice is making a lot of noise and occasional pressure cracks are forming! (I know that's not very helpful but that gives me hours of entertainment)

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
It took my friend two years before convincing himself to it was OK. In fact one day he came to the lake and watched us from the parking lot, without us knowing he was there, and left because he just couldn't do it. The next weekend, with 10" of ice, he called to let us know he was on the shore line but still could not take that first step. My wife was with us and walked back to shore and started talking to him until he felt comfortable enough that he started following her out. Before he knew it he was out with us. He was cautious that day but it grew on him. At first if the ice was not at least 10" he would not go out, then he lowered that to 6", and now he is OK with a solid 4"

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
convince him to go out an a very cold day when the ice is making a lot of noise and occasional pressure cracks are forming! (I know that's not very helpful but that gives me hours of entertainment)
LOL Im taking a good friend on the 17th. Shes from the south. I hope to god the ice is making all kinds of noise that day. We already have like 10 inches now and tomorrows high is like -3 so there will be plenty but she is still nervous.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
All great points so far, biggest thing is don't pressure him. I think everybody needs to get comfortable in their own way and then enjoy it accordingly.

Once you have good solid ice, I always like to show how solid it is by drilling three holes in a triangle around myself and standing in the middle. The person usually freaks out but it seems to help them understand just how secure they are.  Kind've a "if my big butt hasn't went in you're good to go."  People new to the ice always seem to think that cracks will form hole to hole and even on thick ice it will just shatter under their feet, like ice doesn't float or something  ???

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
What are some ways I could reassure him so that he feels comfortable enough to try it out?

Take him to an area with tons of people so he knows others see it as safe ice as well.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Check ice conditions, don't tell him where you're going & drive out about 100 yards onto a lake. He see how safe it is after he craps himself......... ;) ;D

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
When my hockey team needed a goalie my best friend talked about wanting to play hockey but not having someone teach him. I'ce been playing since I was 2 and my brother is a goalie so I know how to coach them/train them and such. So, we went to play it again and got him set up with some used gear that fit him. To get him comfortable in the bads we got him hammered and dressed him up in everything and had him wear the gear for the rest of the night. The next day we went to stick & puck and he was comfortable in the gear! ;-D Get your buddy wasted and take him on the ice!

Not really, but I just wanted to tell that story- lots of good advice in this thread though.  @)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
I started ice fishing this year and it scares the hell out of me but its so addictive I keep going. I go by myself I know that's a bad idea but make sure there's other people on the ice. I use spud bar, have picks and always wear a small life vest under my coat. Always follow someone else's tracks unless they cross bare ice(has to have snow on it or I won't walk on it). I about jump out of my skin when it cracks and pops!!! But I'm having fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.