Author Topic: Strenth of ice (chart)  (Read 12849 times)

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strenth of ice (chart)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:36 PM »
thank you ! was wondering about 4 wheelers! 5-6 good then? hopefully?

Offline DadDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:53 AM »
 Charts are charts, for reference only and should never replace common sense. That said, I've put alot of heavy equipment on the ice over the years and luckily haven't dumped one yet. We drill ALOT of holes along the route before putting anything on the ice. I'm still won't fish on less then 4 inches and don't trust any ice now matter how thick. Its the quality not the quantity of it that counts!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Hmmmm, I wonder what the really thick stuff I drill through late in the season will hold? 
The thickest stuff I have drilled through in the 5 years I have been living here is 64".   ;D
Could probably land the space shuttle on it complete with the 747 that moves it around at times. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Charts are charts, for reference only and should never replace common sense. That said, I've put alot of heavy equipment on the ice over the years and luckily haven't dumped one yet. We drill ALOT of holes along the route before putting anything on the ice. I'm still won't fish on less then 4 inches and don't trust any ice now matter how thick. Its the quality not the quantity of it that counts!

They drill holes here for flooding the ice roads.
Thickness testing is done via ground penetrating radar in a sled towed behind a pickup truck.

Offline youghfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I will go on at 4" but I try to hold out till it closer to 5". If I go though I am sinking like a rock.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2013, 10:21 AM »
I hate these lists, it's kind of like the people who ask "how big of waves" or "how far out on the lake" can my boat handle.  I've seen 16' boats handle 6' waves with ease, and saw a 22' go down in 3' chop.  The only safe ice is in my glass (well, depending on what I'm drinking!)

That being said, last year we pulled the quad out after a thaw/freeze cycle, and measured the area we drove over later and found 3" of ice.  I've also seen people pop through 8" honeycomb on foot.  If you need a list to tell you how safe the ice is, it probably isn't.
   x2   I have seen several people go through 6 or 8 inches.   Every year lots of people drop through not to mention the 4 wheelers, snowmobiles and vehicles.    Pay attention and it should be safe. 

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:17 PM »
The old guy on my home lake goes out even if he has to jump to get out on the ice! He usually has some body stand behind him with a throw rope. He says he's fallen in three times. That's commitment!
Check this out- seems a little bit more accurate
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I have been on 2in of GOOD CLEAR ice many times never went through.i have stood and bounced on 1in and stayed up on top.clear ice is surprisingly strong but ice varies and with 2in you don't have much slack.bottom line is do what your comfortable with and ice is never completely safe drill and check.

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:33 PM »
We drove a three ton truck on 8-9.5" last year. Looking back, we shouldn't have done it. It was stupid. Dozens of other people were also out there in large automobiles. No one got wet though, surprisingly enough.

Offline gregsayers2000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:43 PM »
They drive on the Great Lakes all the time. Not this boy! Never been thru the ice, but it has my full respect.

Offline Crawldaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:12 PM »
I'm amazed that folks dare to venture out on 2-3 inches of ice. I'm to much of a chicken for that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.