Author Topic: Trouble hooking pike  (Read 4462 times)

Aquabox

Trouble hooking pike
« on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:45 PM »
I am having trouble hooking pike.  I have had quite a few bites but can't seem to hook them.  I am using a tip-up with a shiner or a sucker on a Swedish Pimple.  The pike will set the flag on the tip-up and the bait will either be gone or dead with teeth marks.  They don't seem to run with it so it seems like they are not getting hooked when they strike.  I hook the shiners and suckers behind the dorsal fin on a treble hook.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trouble hooking pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 02:46 PM »
the hook could be to small or let the fish run until it stops then wait for the fish to start moveing again and then set the hook hope this will help and good luck

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:33 PM »
too many variables...obviously they are interested....first thought is there is too much drag set...this will make for alot of drops after the initial hit....and also explain why they are not running with it....what kind of hooks are you using???.....Grump

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:48 PM »
I would suggest switching to a quick strike rig, which is two small trebels rigged in tandem. Make sure your tip up is giving out line smoothly without give. Then when a pike is really running, set the hook with a small, sharp jerk. If he's not taking line after a minute or so, pick up the line and feel for weight, if you feel weight, set the hook. Sometimes if you don't feel the fish on it, jig the bait lightly, and oftentimes the pike will come back and crush it.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

AB pike

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:59 AM »
try using circle hooks i have been using them for about 3 winters now my hookup % went way up when i started using them the nice thing about them you dont set the hook just let them swim away with the bait and hold the line tight and they will hook themself normally in corner of there mouth easy to release hope this helps

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:40 AM »
I second that AB Pike......circle hooks work very well! Great for catch and release.

Aquabox

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input. 

I am using a treble hook.  Over the past weekend, a few times they would run with it and other times they would just hit it and leave it.  The water is about 5 or 6 feet deep.  I have the shiners/suckers about 2 feet below the ice so there is not any slack in the line.  I am using about 5/6 inch shiners/suckers on a swedish pimple.  What size hook, treble or circle, should I be using?   

I caught a couple pike on minnows just fishing for perch this weekend but none on my tipups with about a dozen hits.  I may try a circle hook next weekend.  Also, the pike I caught were not large, about 24 inches.  Is there a chance my bait is too big?  However, we did see some larger pike (about 36 inches) rolling through our hole. 

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Go with a small circle or octopus hook.Fishing with a pimple on a tip up gives them too much to grab and not get hook in their mouths.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:45 PM »
Aqua,

No your baits are perfect size. I have been using 6" anchovies this year in Colorado, where the pike are very very finicky, and the pike I have caught this year have all been 20 - 24 inchers. They completely inhale the bait and they have big mouths. With a pair of #8 trebles, they are easy to hook as long as the pike has the bait. With big baits, you need to wait longer for the pike to take the bait. Hence why I think some people say to let the pike run a long time on a tip up. With smaller baits, you can set quickly.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Fishing with a pimple on a tip up gives them too much to grab and not get hook in their mouths.

I agree.
Get rid of the pimple, the fish probably feels it and drops it before you get there.
JMO

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2005, 12:34 PM »
box the pimple and throw on a single large size high-quality circle hook...no hooksetting, just stop the line and give a light steady pull. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Use a treble hook and hook the bait in front of the dorsal fin. I seem to catch more this way.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:07 PM »
Hi everyone,
   I like to center punch the bait with a treble of circle hook, it is harder for the fish to take your bait with out getting hooked. I would also try a quick-strike rig, both presentations, allow the bait to sit horizontally in the water giving it a more natural appearance.  Tight lines everyone.   ;)

Water Wolf   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.