Author Topic: Good 2 person ice shanty???  (Read 18679 times)

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Good 2 person ice shanty???
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:14 AM »
what is the size difference between the shappel 2000 and the clam 2000?
 The clam 2000 and the shapell 2000 are almost identical in size.  They are comparable in price (about 200).  I have fished in a buddies shapell and have purchased a clam 2000.  I bought the clam because the ends set up easier and the fabric is far better in my opinion.  It is excellent as a one man shanty, but works with 2 people but it is tight.  I bought a mr buddy heater for it, but it makes it almost unbearable.  I think that a propane lantern would provide plenty of heat for temps above 10 or so.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:29 AM »
I had a clam 5600 sold it last year due to all the poles and amount of wind it lets in around the bottom. They are great once they are up --but in the bitter cold and wind, they are a pain --  I bought a fishtrap voyager and love it
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline JigEm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Charter Boat Captain
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:24 PM »
Went looking at ice shantys today and was seriously looking at the Shappel 4000 delux.  Plenty of room, carpeted floor, great vision.  Just as the wallet was opening to shell out 3.5 bills I noticed the shanty wall material was simply stapled to the plastic sled bottom.
I was concerned about the durability of this type of construction.
Will the staples pull or rust out over time?  Anyone have any experience with Shapples?  I believe the staple construction is similiar to other models.
Full Strike Anglers
USCG 50 Ton Master

Offline The Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2004, 09:10 AM »
I just purchased the 2man Eskimo Traveller and am extremely satisfied. Comes with plenty of room for 2, 3 windows, 2 vents, reflective corners, wide sled base for carrying your gear and light weight (36lbs). Throw in a small propane heater and your warm and toasty.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Good 2 person ice shanty???
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2004, 12:54 PM »
I've been looking pretty hard at the "trap" style shacks only. I've got a Fish Trap Voyager and for me and possibly one buddy, it's just too big. I love the room, but pulling it with all our equipment is just a pain. Time to downsize.

I've settled on the Frabill Solo. It's just big enough to sit two people side-by-side. Granted, not two linebackers, but at 48"wide, I tried it in the showroom. Buy an extra seat and you're set. Best of all, the seating system doesn't require you to bolt anything to the rails meaning you're not committed to using two seats. With the Guide, you have to put two seats in and the bars take up access space to the sled. The windows in the Frabill are at seated height so you can check tip-ups while seated and the door unzips in a "c" shape vs a "u" shape. A small detail, but I've almost melted the flap on my heater because of it falling in toward the shack. The height on the Frabill is 7" taller than the Guide and that makes all the difference. I hate having to squat to stand up or have to leave the warmth of the shack in order to right my spine. The weight is fairly comparable. 58# vs 62#. I've had nothing but good things to say about my Voyager, but the Frabill's seem a little better thought out.

Not to mention 100 bucks cheaper.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Higgsy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:57 PM »
I just built a two-man hut. You can get the plans free from www.fishontario.com. I changed mine a little to make it lighter but still used the basic design. I used 3/8" plywood on the ends and a 2x3 for the top support and a pair of them for the sides and built a removable shelf that spans across the middle and it slides back and forth on the side supports. This hut works great. It folds down small and I loaded it in the back of my pickup and parked my atv on top of it. After using it the only changes I am going to make to it are cuting out a second door in the back and installing small hooks in the base near the runners so that it makes it easier to hold my equipment on the hut when towing it on the ice. Even if you don't have a atv or snowmobile this hut can be pulled very easily on the ice, I just wouldn't want to try and pull it in the deep snow on my own. This hut can be built for under $100. My kids and I had some fun slapping this thing together and it worked better than expected.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2004, 02:37 PM »
 Shappell 3000 makes a good 2 man shanty for the $$$$$$$$.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.