Author Topic: Shack Construction Underway  (Read 11021 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Re: Shack Construction Underway
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2006, 10:20 AM »
well we built our wood stove out of an empty freon container.dont know what your freon containers look like where you live but ours work great.the freon container already comes with handles that you can use for legs.would you like to see ours.i could send you a pic.let me know.you wont be sorry.ours works fine with a three inch chimney

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2006, 10:43 AM »
I saw this being sold on ebay but figured Id make a few and see if I could sell some too

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:16 AM »
adipose, I would be interested in seeing your set up for a stove,could you please post a pic or send me a pic when you get a chnce. tks  :tipup:

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2006, 06:26 AM »
Adipose I would be interested in seeing a pic too when you have a chance.  Could you post it to this thread?  If not just send it to me via message.

Hazmt-that's a great looking stove, how does it work?  Did you ever end up making any?
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2006, 06:29 AM »
so far I have just removed the valve from an older propane tank and where I'm not in a rush it can air out till spring   works like a regular stove as I see it damper appears to go in the top 4" pipe  I'm planning on using an old 30 lbs tank  and the door not as big  with an air inlet in the door

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:26 PM »
we also made a stove from a propane cylinder....i have made a few stoves over the yrs.and learnt a lot.I have a double (40lb)propane tank stove.It works great accept you want to have as much heat come off the metal of the stove so propane tanks work good but have thicker metal so they will not rust through as fast but give off less heat from the body of the stove compared to say a freon tank.i will post the freon stove soon.Just look at a airtight stove and see the thickness of the walls..they are rather thin sheet type metal.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:29 PM »
so far I have just removed the valve from an older propane tank and where I'm not in a rush it can air out till spring   works like a regular stove as I see it damper appears to go in the top 4" pipe  I'm planning on using an old 30 lbs tank  and the door not as big  with an air inlet in the door
you will want to put your air inlet at the foot of the fire for maximum air intake.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:32 PM »
If I do use it in a shack Im planning on making a stainless steel basket  and burn pellets in it

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Im sorry..i just remembered my freon stove is downtown.I need to go get it and promise i will later but for now here is another freon tank that has not been made into a stove just so you get the idea.again i will post the stove later................. ...................... ...................... ..

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:57 PM »
here is the 40lb propane tank stove...it only has a 3" chimney and for next time i would make at least a 4 or 5"chimney.this was one of my first stove attempts.live and learn i guess......this stove works great in our elk camp tent which is 16x10 plenty of heat for sept.........ice fishin too................... ...............

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:00 PM »
i would also next time make longer legs and get this stove up off the ground a bit higher.the advantage this stove has is that it takes much larger logs.weight is aprox.15lbs

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:04 PM »
how can you tell i live in canada.......haha..... ....the air intake for the above stove is located below the centre of the door.........it is made from a hinge.........there are three holes drilled underneath that hinge.Due to the chimney being only 3" we do have a small amount of smoke when the door is opened.this is due to not enough draw on the chimney....just have not had time to change to 4" yet..a must for next elk trip

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Oh an "over home'r" stove   lol

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:23 PM »
over homer.......i must be missin somthin there hazmt........i went to ebay to see what they are selling those propane tank stoves that you posted but could not find that stove....what were they sellin for if ya dont mind me askin

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:27 PM »
"over homer"   is a local joke used up in aroostook  and New Brunswick people   ya now   over home we do this.... aye!   lol     they were selling them for 70 75 bucks plush shipping   pure BS price I thought

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:33 PM »
so yur sayin they should be getting a higher price than 70-75??a good stove like that in sask.would fetch 125.00 i would think.i might be wrong though

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:37 PM »
seems too steep to me

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:44 PM »
well then just think of the time involved in makin a stove like that then add the materials on top and a bit for profit.....tank was free but still the time would be somewhere in the 3hr mark even with the correct tools and add paint on top of that and time to paint.I guess im looking at it from a business point of view.welding around here is 50.00 for a small job like that.lots of ways of lookin at it i guess

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Im a cheap SOB lol  with time on my hands  and access to lots of tanks  lol granted Id take 75  or better 125   hmmm   let me rethink that   that be still 75 american  lol  teasing

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:53 PM »
ive built and sold a few "inventions" in my days and you would be surprised what folks would pay for the right item......sorry i forgot your a damn yankee..hehe.....OH CANADA our true north strong and free

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:55 PM »
LOL ;D

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:35 PM »
adipose,

That is a great stove-I would give you $125 for it.  It's built a heack of a lot better than the ones in cabellas, handles larger pieces of wood, and throws more heat.  Let me know when you start your own production line!  thanks for idea :thumbsup:
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:35 AM »
guys im goin to get the little one today as it is supposed to snow and should go get it before the snow then i will post it.the little one is sweet

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 04, 2006, 09:38 PM »
here she is.hope you can make out what goin on here.the top lid swings open.you would think that a person would get a shanty full of smoke when ya open the lid but the draw from the chimney takes care of that.great little stove.you can run it with or without a damper.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2006, 09:41 PM »
here is the top view of the stove.on the previous page you may or may not be able to see the air draw vent located just at the bottom of the tank it is on a pendulum.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.