Author Topic: Rover 1 Mods  (Read 21109 times)

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rover 1 Mods
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 07:30 PM »
about the same, 2 pillow packs to 11/2 gallons and 3 oz of Seafoam, I love it ! (Image removed from quote.)  

Thanks Surfy, tomorrow I should get the Tanaka out and give her a spin for a few minutes. Been about a month since I ran her last.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming....

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54 PM »
How do you like the nils Craig?

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 05:40 AM »
How do you like the nils Craig?

Light. fast, reliable, always starts on 2-3 pulls even after sitting for a month and a half. Can'y say I would own anything else.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Not considered getting it out if you never put it away. :) I've got my flip over in the room so I can tinker around with it here and there.

Craig
Good point Craig! ;D
Fish on!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:40 PM »
Greg2ha,
I have that exact same black and yellow seat mounted to the top of a cooler. I'd like to make a bench with carpet to mount it to just like you did. I don't see the backside of the seat. Is the conduit under the seat a full "U" shape? OR is it just supported on the front side only? Can you post some pictures showing how you mounted the bench? Oh, I bought a swivel to put my seat on. I am surprised at how comfy that molded seat really is.
jbird68

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2011, 04:48 AM »
Greg,

Mods look sweet!  Very nice idea on tackle storage.  As you know, the more you stare and look at it, the more mods you add. lol.  How about some kind of battery compartment? 

Steuben1

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:06 AM »
jaybird, the instruction manual for the RV1 is shown on Shappell's wesite. The illustration aren't great, know anyone with 1/2" emt bender, the seat rails are 1/2" emt.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Steuben1

I am leaning towards the Clam bracket because of it's low cost and saving the time to make one. I really like
your mods with the compartments on your sled. I need to do something like that next year. I am somewhat of
a wood butcher so I may try aluminum for the dividers. I know some tin knockers that could probably point me in the right direction. Right now though I might just put strips of velcro on floor and battery not sure yet. Also
here are the pics of the seat support for who ever was looking for ideas on seat. C'mon ice!
Greg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/greg2ha/icefishing005.jpg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/greg2ha/icefishing004.jpg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/greg2ha/icefishing003.jpg
Fish on!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Here is the mods i did to the Plano box to open it up more for pliers and small tackle box. Note the free hemostats
and cutters courtesy of Parkview North ER. I though it would be an easy job however I was wrong. Plastic is a pain in the butt to cut and the box knife slipped and I cut my wrist. So if you try to alter one of these boxes please be careful. 4 stitches later here is what I ended up with.
Fish on!

surflizard

« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that Greg, glad it isn't any worse ! When ever I mod anything plastic or metal like that, I grab the Dremel, saves a lot of time and Much, Much Safer !

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:26 PM »
That was the only tool that came to mind. I use to have one but it broke several years ago. That's probably the
way to go though. Might check into one in the future! ;D
Fish on!

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Good mods

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Nice setup!! I love my 1.0 probably one of the best investments i have made :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
FISH ON

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:57 PM »
I love mine too especially the light weight factor! Easy to put in car to go to lake. Now I just need a auger cradle
of some kind so I don't have to carry that bad boy! ;D
Fish on!

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Nice use of Cablofil basket Greg2ha. That gives me some ideas for some mods on my new Clam Kenai flip-over. I have access to the same basket where I work as well as some real nice aluminum duct that we use as wireway on the conveyor systems we build. Gotta love the ingenuity of ice fisherman. Nice job on the mods.
Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Hey if they are just going to toss it my mind starts to churn. I have made several things for fishing, ice fishing
and boating just because I could build it cheaper or how I wanted it. I think they thought I was crazy when
I told them what I was going to do with it.
Greg
Fish on!

surflizard

« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I made a holder out of 3/4" conduit and a 4' piece of 6" sewer pipe cut in half lengthwise ! I bent the conduit in a U shape the same width of the sled and bolted it to the sides of the sled. It stuck out from the end of the sled 10", then I bent it up at a 45 degree angle or 5" up. I drilled and thru bolted the plastic pipe to the conduit and drilled some 1/2" holes for a bungy cord and it worked great to hold the auger and it didn't interfer with towing the sled or flipping over the tent !

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Hey Surf

If you can send me a pic that would be awesome man. We have a nice tube bender at work.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 15, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Reviving an older thread, but thought I would add some mods I just finished on my Rover 1.0.     

I added

* LEDs (3 sets on sled, two facing out and 1 facing in, really like the one on the inside of the sled, it's amazing how dark it gets in the sled,  I even found some dropped jigs!)
* (Set of Red Leds on front top Bar and a set of white overhead)
* all wired to a switch set that I mounted to the side of the sled, batter is mounted on one of those clam power pack shelves under the rear shelf in back.
* UV Jig flasher mounted to the front
*Punched a hole to keep a set of needle nose pliers at hand.   
* The boat seat I had on there since last year, anyone that owns a Rover 1.0 knows it is torture to sit on just the board seat. 
* one of those pocket organizers to the rear bar.
* Otter Rod holder,  was able to attach to an existing bolt on the seat bar.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 16, 2012, 11:17 AM »
where did you guys get the light strips? How much they run? Bucky are those the clam sled lights on the sled? How do you like them? You guys sleds look great. Thanks, Mark

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2012, 11:58 AM »
where did you guys get the light strips? How much they run? Bucky are those the clam sled lights on the sled? How do you like them? You guys sleds look great. Thanks, Mark

Yes that is the clam lights on the sled, the smaller ones, like 3-4" ones, I think they now have a larger 3 pack as well.  I also have the single clam led on the center console of my two man otter.   Here is that older thread.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=200519.msg1977497#msg1977497

For the LEDs, I am not sure if I can link to another forum but there is a forum store that sells some good basic white LED strings.   That is the top one in my Rover Sled.  THey have good wiring and gator clips already installed.

Two years ago most guys ordered from BestHongKong.com , but they come from there as well, so took a while to ship but they had more color choices,  that is where the red one came from in this sled.   

I know a few people now order from this site in the  US.

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I don't have first hand experience with them yet, I ordered some UV ones to make a glow jig box though.  Look for that creation soon  :)

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2012, 03:01 PM »
I've used Ozium for my lights on and in the box in back of my quad and I'll be putting a 2 foot strip inside and on the outside front of my newly purchase used Scout.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Greg2ha,
I have that exact same black and yellow seat mounted to the top of a cooler. I'd like to make a bench with carpet to mount it to just like you did. I don't see the backside of the seat. Is the conduit under the seat a full "U" shape? OR is it just supported on the front side only? Can you post some pictures showing how you mounted the bench? Oh, I bought a swivel to put my seat on. I am surprised at how comfy that molded seat really is.

Can you please let me know the name of that black and yellow seat or where I can find them? I've searched the internet and can't find them anywhere.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:13 PM »
I got my seat Paul's Discount in Clinton, IA. They were hanging from a chain on a rod from the ceiling in the fishing section. I think I paid $13 for it a couple years ago.
jbird68

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Can you please let me know the name of that black and yellow seat or where I can find them? I've searched the internet and can't find them anywhere.
sportsmansguide.com then search seats hope this helps
Fish on!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:27 PM »
I saw them on sportsmans guide, top. But they were not in stock.
jbird68

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:25 PM »
They have them for 7.19 right now in 3 colors.
Fish on!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 02, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Switched up my seat for this season cause I know we are gonna have ice! ;D Thanks again Richard!
Fish on!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 02, 2012, 01:19 PM »
i see some one had a great idea on thier rover. any ways i can belive how that shapell is put togather now that i looked at the inside of it it looks like they cut corners?  they did it cheaply except the cover is better 600d verus 300d.

any ways  my frabills corners ware the tubes for the cover attach are better on my frabill and more sturdy i have a one man frabill that i paid a little under a $100 for.has a 300d canvas and no door now that i have seen the shapell i want to keep my frabill.  i have not seen the new rover series at all  i own all breif case and one flip overfrabill. it not like the frabil is gods gift either i am just surpried it not that great. for price to price of the shapell verus the frabill.  here i was planing on buying a two man shappell not now. surprizingly enough glad i seen yours first  thanks for posting pic's if you need me to i will get a few pic of mine for you to comepare just ask.  i am just shocked being from michigan seeing this...

btw i converted my seats 2 years ago.

The Frabil has better corner brackets I think Take a look.

Other shanties

Gear at the ready if we get ice!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2012, 02:17 PM »
This is the second Shappell I have owned and quality has never been an issue. The problem I had with my 3000 DX was self-inflicted both times.
once it was a wind issue and the second time just tore it down too fast. As far as corners go and pole attachment I can see your concern with no
corner braces. I have just never had an issue with it.
Greg
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.