Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 4964 times)

Randy Cox

Big Creek
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:34 PM »
Has anyone been to big creek to see if there is any fishable ice there yet?  Or has anyone been to the lost lake area to check ice? I know that there is a lot of springs that keep open water there at lost lake year round but I was hopeing there was some Ice. Thanks

Randy Cox

Re:Big Creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:00 AM »
I am planning on heading to lost lake this weekend does anyone have any fishing reports from there or the main lake?

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:14 AM »
I stopped out there on my way to work yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see several out on the main lake. Went out and talked to a few of the guys and they had pulled through close to 2 dozen decent crappies between the three of them. Ice looked like a good, solid 6" at least down on that far south end, only getting better with these continued cold nights!!! Lost lake has had people all over it and had 6 cars there at 11a yesterday (thurs). Didnt talk to any of them (was already late for work as it was) but the ice looked pretty well worked over so it must be good...especially with the main lake having 6" or so.  I hear the good ice goes about halfway up the lake and is also availiable in the NW and far N arms of the lake, although Ihave not been those directions to test it myself.  Ice is weak to nonexistent near the marina, as usual. :(

goody  

Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

buzzdpm

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Fished lost lake on Wed afternoon, was slow till 4:15pm then cought a mess of bluegills, FL-18 lit up at dark!  No crappies, two bass.

buzzdpm

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:42 AM »
Fished lost lake again on Sat evening, caught 1 gill, didn't see any others caught.  Talking to a guy who had been there all day and only caught a couple.  Marked a few inactive fish on the vex but they weren't feeding.
 :-[

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2004, 03:03 PM »
Hey Buzz!!

Crappieking (from the Iowa Outdoors board) and I were out there Saturday night, too!!!  We fished from about 6:30 til midnight.  Didn't find the crappies until we moved out to 20 feet of water (around 8:30).  They were coming thru between 3 to 6 feet below the ice.  Took home a few more than a dozen ranging from from 8-1/2" to 10".  
Rod Woten

Randy Cox

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 02:53 PM »
I went out saturday from 11am to 7pm it was slow till around 4.  Then I moved closer to some structure in about 18 feet of water.  We caught a lot of good sized gills some nice crappies and a couple walleyes.  The gills were coming in from 18 to 12 feet the crappie came in from 10 to 3 feet from the surface and the walleyes were caught 1 foot from the bottom.  All were caught using teardrops tipped with wax worms.  We had no luck jigging minnows or letting a minnow sit.  Fish were seemed to be very fussy.  Without the vexlair we would have problally never caught anything.

Perch101

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Thundercox,
 Did you get all those fish down at lost lake? I was thinking of taking my boy there after school on wednesday

Randy Cox

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:27 PM »
Yes, We fished closer to the where the channel feeds into lost lake than we ever have before.  We were about 100 feet from where it narrows down.  We didnt see a lot of other people catching many fish.  We had our best luck in about 15-20 feet of water.  Tried minnows but had no luck.  Everything was on wax worms.

Offline bbuenzow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Any fresh reports from this week on Big Creek? Seems to be pretty slow as compared to the early part of the season last year. Would like to look for some crappies this weekend!

Randy Cox

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2004, 02:32 PM »
I was at Lost lake on Sunday from 1pm till 6m.  Caught some nice gills but I dont think that we stayed long enough for the crappie bite.  Is anyone having any luck on the main lake?  I have not fished it very much and do not really know where to start.  It would be nice to find some nice walleyes. ;D

Offline bbuenzow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:46 AM »
Last year we caught some nice crappies out about 50 yards from shore and to the left of the boat ramp on the left hand side when you first come in the Park from the South. SE section of lake basically. Biggest crappie we caught was 14 inches. Not sure about this year as of yet though.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Big creek main lake is safe from the old east roadbed south.  Around the marina and beach it is still open water.  I have done well out there this year, catching lots  of fish (crappies, gills, eyes, wipers, bass, perch) and "keeper" sized fish in almost all categories as well.  Just remember, fish tend to be deeper on this lake right now and any fish that are brought up from aroudn 25-30 foot or more will probably die due to air bladder expansion from bringing them up from that deep.  Just keep that in mind when you are fishing and what how few fish released from these depths will actually live.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Dante83R

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:22 AM »
   My brother in law and I fished along the dam from 9am till about 6pm on saturday.  We had almost a nonstop stream of fish moving underneath us and could actually see a lot of them down there swimming around.  We couldn't get anything to bite to save our lives though.  We moved to 47 feet of water and caught three small walleyes all day.  

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2004, 12:09 PM »
Crappieking and I fished Lost Lake last night from 6 pm until 1 am.  Brought home 20 crappies.  Most were "eaters" but 4 or 5 were nice 11"+ fish.
Rod Woten

Randy Cox

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I was a Lost lake on Friday and noticed that there was a home made shack left for the Ice to claim.  I talked to some people that were there last week and said that some young kids built it and left it on the ice.  Being a young man myself I hate to see this kind oof thing because if gives a bad impression of all young outdoorsman.  People who do things like that should not be allowed to fish.  If I knew who it was I would have told the DNR or done something about it my self.  Im sure if there was a problem with the boys who did it I would have had everyone on the lake on my side.

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2004, 03:22 PM »
You make it sound like it was a piece of trash sitting around.  I would guess that they built and set it up to fish out of for the season.  As long as it has reflectors on it should be legal to leave it on the ice.......  I think I believe your name and address is supposed to be on it as well, but I'm not sure.  I think that the DNR might take the GPS coordinates of a permanent shack and record it's location with who owns it.  That way if it were left out to be taken by the ice, someone is responsible.

buzzdpm

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2004, 06:22 PM »
Tcox
I've seen the "shack" you're talking about.  It is a wood frame with clear plastic ripped, and blowing in the wind.  I felt the same way when I saw it, I also saw a propane tank shoved into a hole to freeze. Unbelievable that fisherman could treat their territory like this.  

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:29 AM »
I guess it is a piece of TRASH out on the ice.  I figured it to be something completely different.  Propane tank in a hole, that's just wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.