Author Topic: Any fishable ice in Baraga?  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any fishable ice in Baraga?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Just came up to chassell from baraga and it’s tough to see when it’s dark out but it looks like the ice by assinnins is gone. A few lights on in the smelt city though

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Anyone been having success on smelt and burbot lately?

Offline whitetailsandcohos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Anyone succesfully use a bobber/deadstick for whitefish? I was thinking of doing a jigging rap then putting some wax worms on a slip bobber in a second hole. I'm thinking you'll need to be watching it like a hawk and setting the hook right away and maybe that'll work ?

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2022, 10:46 AM »
Last time I was out they didn’t hit anything although I marked them

Offline Finkmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Anyone willing to share potential spots on Keweenaw Bay for burbot? Hoping to go out with some friends and see what we can catch tomorrow evening if the ice is still looking OK after all this weather. Any tips/leads greatly appreciated.

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2022, 03:08 PM »
I do not fish for Burbot, but I can tell you about the ice.  I've been regularly fishing from Squaw Beach south to the head of the bay by the Willow Tree off US-41.  The ice is plenty thick in that span of water, anywhere from a foot to 15 inches of solid ice.  That being said, no ice is safe ice, so if you are not familiar with the ice and area, make sure you go where others have obviously been or are.  Just 100 yards off of squaw beach and the water is very deep, well over 100 feet, maybe closer to 135.   Wish I could give you more info on the Burbot.  Maybe someone else can add to my post (or correct it if need be). 

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:17 PM »
Off Squaw beach is solid for burbot I hear, but I usually go behind the BP in 40’ lay dead stuff on bottom let em eat. Been getting a lot of small ones not even worth trying to fillet there though.

Offline whatisslav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 17, 2022, 12:25 PM »
Just a heads up I was at Sandpoint out at 200ft the Ice was solid but the shoreline was flooded and a bit sketchy coming back in. there's probably only a couple days left out deep at most

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.