Author Topic: Best Lake Condition  (Read 2282 times)

Offline CliffordTheRed

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Lake Condition
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Hi Folks!

I'm a long-time fisherman, but new to Ice Fishing. I am mostly concerned with safety and lake conditions. I've been hearing that things are still a bit warm this year in eastern Washington.  I do like that map, and some of the entries are from December. I'd like to know if there are any recommendations for lakes that are thick enough to fish on yet.

Thanks!

Wayne

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Lake Condition
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Hi Wayne,
Currently there is no safe ice, that I’m aware of, in all of Eastern Washington. The Pend Oreille chain lakes have ice, but there’s now a very sloppy layer on top. (Getting around is difficult, at best)
You picked a poor year so far, for getting into ice-fishing. It’s a great hobby, but some years can have a very short season. I’m hoping we’ve got a good cold wave still coming our way.
Welcome to the sport and this site, and good luck to you!
flam

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Hi Wayne,
Currently there is no safe ice, that I’m aware of, in all of Eastern Washington. The Pend Oreille chain lakes have ice, but there’s now a very sloppy layer on top. (Getting around is difficult, at best)
You picked a poor year so far, for getting into ice-fishing. It’s a great hobby, but some years can have a very short season. I’m hoping we’ve got a good cold wave still coming our way.
Welcome to the sport and this site, and good luck to you!
flam

I would say there about 30-35 lakes that are currently safe for ice fishing. Many are sloppy right and if you don't mind standing in water/snow there is plenty of safe ice. Cold nighttime temps will return this evening and should help firm up the slop making for a far better experience but I'm not sure what FlamDragger is talking about when says "no safe ice".

There is 6" or more on of ice on the following lakes:
- Thomas Lake
- Coffin Lake
- Gillette Lake
- Bonaparte Lake
- Fancher's Dam
- Davis Lake (Okanogan Co.)
- Sidley Lake
- Molson Lake
- Leader Lake
- Patterson Lake
- Dog Lake
- Curlew Lake is 4-6" as well if you are looking for perch and the ice should improve dramatically by the weekend.

Offline CliffordTheRed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice! I always keep in mind that the point is to go fishing... Fish are a bonus!

Offline CliffordTheRed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:51 PM »

Just as a follow up. I did go to Patterson on Saturday. Ice was about 12” thick. Temp was in single digits in the morning. Beautiful sunny day and a few rainbows in the pan. Thanks for the guidance! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.