Author Topic: Gills on Plastics  (Read 5955 times)

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gills on Plastics
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:29 AM »
So far this year I have fished 100% artificals and the season has been great! I may not be catching the numbers of fish that my friends using live bait are but the size of my fish has been better. For the most part a little 4mm fiska or #14 diamond jig with a Little Atom or ISG plastic has been the ticket but this past week I found a new tool for my arsenal. That tool is the berkley powerbait wigglers. I went out on a lake that normally is very tough but got on the fish early. They weren't taking my usual confidence baits so than I thought what the heck I'll try the wigglers. Well they proved to be the ticket! I was like some one flipped the switch. I even had gills coming 6'-8' off the bottom to grab my jig. Than to take the cake I got a 9 3/4" gill backed with a super bug eyed 10"er! It was one of those days that I'll remember all year.
9 3/4" on the left and 10" on the right.

Here is a size comparson to a water bottle.

Top view of the 10"er, never caught a gill that had eyes as big as these.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Gills on Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:08 AM »
This is season #3 for me fishing with only artificialls for panfish. Gills eat up these baits, and they withstand more abuse then live bait. Nice pics

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:33 AM »
really nice fish. I have been kickin the tires w/plastic baits but have not yet made the transition. Gonna give em more of a try for sure. Cheers!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:57 AM »

I have been kickin the tires w/plastic baits but have not yet made the transition. Gonna give em more of a try for sure

When you first start with plastics dont hesititate to bring some live bait with you. It helps boost the confidence knowing you have your reliable live bait as a go to if things are slow.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Thanks cbtrtbum, last year I was transitioning, always starting the day with plastics but keeping a puck of waxies or spikes along just in case. You get allot of confidence using those plastics at the prime times and pulling out the live when the bite gets tough. Icejunky you know how much you can tweak with colors and shapes on days they are fussy. But when you find the right combination it can be faster action than live bait because there is hardly no rebating.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:47 PM »
No doubt plastics produce the better panfish. I pull 'em in w/ live bait & follow-up w/ plastics. Nice gills!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:54 AM »
Im gonna give em a good try this week. Ive got a baggie full of various colored spikes in the fridge, and i love using them, but i also have a bunch of ratso's, shrimpo's, and various plastics to try. The spikes just crush em so its tough to change over. I just got through watching some video of plastics on winter gills..Do you guys keep the tail moving the entire time, or do you pause it to entice the bite sometimes as well?

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:32 AM »
Nice.  I switched to artificials last year but I still use real bait some.  You use almost the same rig as me but I use a 3mm Fiska with a Bro's Bloodworm.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Always eye up the Berkely Alive Waxies when i go to the baitshop but never buy them maybe next time.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:09 PM »
I always fish clean Ratso's(my favorite) but my squishy toy tails are killing them and are REALLY CHEAP and very durable.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Captain54, those squishy toy tails are those the kids toys with the tons of little fingers hanging off? If so, do those float and do they make them in a glow color?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:09 PM »
To JigginRod,on the squishy toys,they do float,I don't know about glow.I bought several for a dollar apiece at a DOLLAR Store,in pink.green,blue,orange,chartreuse and a hot chartreuse w/a orange tip.I cut them off with sharp snipers,there about an inch long,and very durable,they stretch to about 6 inches and go right back to and inch.I use them on a 1/100 or 1 /80 Th leadhead jig.I think you get about 300 plus bodies off one toy.You can trim them smaller if you want and add them to a small gill pill.Hope this helps,good luck with your squishy tails,The CAPTAIN

Offline chipster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Beautiful fish and great memories for sure!

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Nice catch. I use alot of gulp alive plastics, atom plastics and cutom jigs plastics along with spikes/waxies from JADA. All of these work on any given day.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Hey...whats in the bottle?  What is ISG plastics?  I love the squishy toy idea.
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:16 AM »
shwung79, in the bottle is some of that kool aide drink mix and ISG is Innovative Sports Group, a company that makes both open and hardwater plastics. There pretty popular around here and most convience and tackle shops carry them.

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Today I used an orange squishy toy tail. They're very durable. Must have caught over thirty fish with just one.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:42 AM »
shwung79, in the bottle is some of that kool aide drink mix and ISG is Innovative Sports Group, a company that makes both open and hardwater plastics. There pretty popular around here and most convience and tackle shops carry them.

Cool and thanks.
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Go squishy tails,I don't want to put any plastic Co. out of business,but my squishy toy tails do work.I love the durability of them,with Rastso's sometimes the first fish ruins them. Now if we only could get them to make glow squishy toys and clear chartreuse we be set.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Ive been using plastics a lot lately with similar results. Berkley Gulp Live fish fry in chart. is my favorite thus far
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Well I have decided that I am gonna fish most of if not all of this coming weekend (we are going to Hamlin lake in ludington mi) with plastics. Figured I have a bunch of them I am gonna give them the ol' college effort.

Hopefully I can post pics on monday, LOL

J-

Offline iceman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:22 PM »
if you got little atom glow red try that color. on a light color orange horizontal jig. 

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:20 AM »
i switched over to all plastics this year been tipping my forage minnow fry with blood worm tails and have been hammering panfish

catch pike like its my job

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Can anybody post a pic of this "squishy toy" and where to get it??

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Did really well on plastics early on in the season, but lately we've had so many stinkin' weather systems it seems like it's put them off.  It's been really difficult to get a plastic bite on most of the lakes that I fish, the one exception is a body that's full of potato chip gills.  I still fish them, always have at least one rod rigged be it a wedgie, nuggie, micro, or some sort of Maki.  I just haven't been able to get the tight lipped fish to get on them lately.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:20 PM »
I use Trout Magnets with great success!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:52 PM »
here's a mess of 'gills on plastics.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:54 PM »
very nice gills

Offline icemanbarry66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:14 AM »
is the squishy toys a ball.....

Offline chipster

• IceShanty Rookie