Author Topic: Line for new ice fishing jigging rod?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line for new ice fishing jigging rod?
« on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:11 PM »
 :tipup:

Hey guys ~

I just got in a jigging rod I ordered and I really don't know which line to put on it.  What is your opinion of a good line for jigging up some walleyes and perch.  I would guess that 8lb test should be fine but would really appreciate any advice your could give. 

My real questions are how well the lines perform in the cold or even the extreme cold. 

All the best and pray the weather man is smoking crack ~ he says 61 degrees on Saturday!!!

HR Levi

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: Line for new ice fishing jigging rod?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Depends on what you're fishing for....For perch, gills and crappies I think 3# test is ideal.  For walleyes, 6# Fireline...Lakers 8# Fireline...Definitely do NOT want to overdue it!  :)

-Zach

PWR BAIT

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Try some berkley microice 8lb for walleyes 3lb for perch thats what i use sometimes.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Depends on what you're fishing for....For perch, gills and crappies I think 3# test is ideal.  For walleyes, 6# Fireline...Lakers 8# Fireline...Definitely do NOT want to overdue it!  :)

-Zach

Ditto :)   but dont be afraid to go lighter than that as well I fish 2lb and 3lb for walleyes      darn finicky fish  lol
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Ditto :)   but dont be afraid to go lighter than that as well I fish 2lb and 3lb for walleyes      darn finicky fish  lol
I was going to say this...the really don't have all that much pull to them, unless you get a hog...and I've landed and seen others land nice walleyes on light line.  :)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:05 PM »
2-3 LB for pan fryers

6 LB for most anything else

If I was targeting trout I might go to Micro-Ice 8LB but 6 should still do OK.  Hard to have 10 poles
with different line types.
Rob Taylor

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:24 PM »
Thanks guys - looks like berkley is going to be the choice and I think I am going to put on 4 lb test and hope for the best.  I am really after the eyes however I usually catch mostly perch...

HR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.