Author Topic: Thorne Bros new handle...  (Read 3843 times)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thorne Bros new handle...
« on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:04 PM »
What a wicked idea :) Thorne Bros calls it a reverse locking tennessee ice handle. Price ??? Let's just say you can buy more than a few St.Croix ice rods..It will be a while before I own one of these babies :%$#!: Love the concept. No more tape :thumbsup:

Andrew

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thorne Bros new handle...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:37 PM »
bought one early this fall and took it out in my boat and used it.i have a daiwa laguna 500 ultralight on it.using 2 lb.test line and jigged up many bull bluegills on saratoga lake.love the rod!!!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:45 AM »
They are a little pricey...but there rods live up to the hype. JMPO

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Beautiful looking rods, but how much will these bad boys set one back? Does anyone have the numbers? I fear the answer. :o

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:27 PM »
Beautiful looking rods, but how much will these bad boys set one back? Does anyone have the numbers? I fear the answer. :o

I heard the one with that new handle will set you back $100 or a little more.
Ken                                          

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Yea, 100+ $$  will get one of these babies in your arsenal :)
Andrew

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:18 PM »
you can keep it,  someone will come up with a knock off handle soon enough I figure,  the way they make things in China nowadays

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:31 PM »
you can keep it,  someone will come up with a knock off handle soon enough I figure,  the way they make things in China nowadays

;D That's what I said LOL.. just have to stick with the ol' Frabill junk again this year  :D LOL...JK..I put enough money into this year's gear already. I really like the St.Croix stuff  ;D
Andrew

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:04 PM »
This handle has to be custom fit to the particular reel you will be using . If you have it for one then decide to change it to another it may or may not fit as sweet together so keep that in mind and yes it runs over a 100 bucks usd . ;)

TD

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:04 PM »
I guess I will wait also. It does look like a nice rod.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:08 AM »
Not sure why there is such a dislike for taping the reels on ice rods on this particular site,  I would much rather have the plain tennessee handle, no matter what the cost of the rod.  Instead of a factory dictating where the reel goes,  adding unneccessary weight to the rod,  I can place the reel onto the handle in the postion that feels most comfortable while providing balance with the combined weight.

Is it a question of taking the time to attach the reels?  Cant be, can it?  Getting set up for the winter is almost like a right of passage from one season to the next.  I try to find the most miserable day in the late November/early December and go up to the shop and tape up the reels.  If you've got a buddy thats just as nuts about ice fishing as you are, invite he or she over.  We pop in a couple of ice fishing vids, have sandwiches and some beverages  and make a afternoon or evening out of it.  Most of these have been sitting on the top of  tackle trays since October lol,  the walleye and pike rods didnt fit.  To help pass the time we grab a bucket of water and try out some new jigs to see what kind of action they possess.  Grab the newest plastic from Little Atom, Lindy or Maki and see how they affect the action of the jig.

As for who makes what, there are older Frabill Sensive rods, Shakespeares, St Croixs, Thorne Bros and some custom jobs as well.  I even rigged a Marmish spring bobber to an older Genz Lightning Rod.  Sweet Peas for sight fishing, Sensives for fishing with the LX-5, 30" Shakespeare for deadsticking pannies,  Croixs for spoons and W2 jigging raps, and Power Noodles for finessing and minnow rods.

If $100 is way to much,  grab a roll of 3M and have some fun.  Might even have been this site
where someone wrote about putting masking tape down first to protect the cork.  I've got a few more noodles on the way and cant wait to try that out.  Some of the fun is just getting set up and coming up with new rigging ideas!

Merry Christmas, and a healthy and happy New Year.
Best Wishes...Charlie
MASON

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:47 PM »
that picture looks like a cork and black tape coral snake.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.