Author Topic: Jig rod handles  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jig rod handles
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Was thinking of making some spare jig rods from the tip end of full size rods  I have a bazillion old fresh water rods that I would rather transform into something useful as opposed to collecting dust.  Anyone have ideas on handles/grips?  I know I can get them from supplier but any ideas using something around the house or shop?  I'm going to trim some handles off the old rods and try that too.  Doesn't have to be fancy.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jig rod handles
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:27 PM »
How about a wooden handle, just take a piece off of a broom handle and shape it how you want, some thin wall pvc pipe, you can buy the wooden handles cheap but like you said you want to use something you have laying around, but a nice piece of some type of exotic wood looks good to

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Wood handle is one option I am going to try.  I also didn't realize theres a section hear on rod building.  Thanks for the input.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Lots of good info there, and jig making info to good luck I have made several from old rods, I like using a fiberglass rod because they can be sanded down to get the action you want, I mount a drill on a board with a big hose clamp and put the rod in the chuck and sand them down that way works good

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Just follow your plan to use reuse the cork grips on the rods your cutting the tips off of.  I would cut them down to around 5 or 6 inches then sand them down to a diameter that feels good in your hands.  Wrap the base of the tips you want to use with mesh drywall tape (non paper type).   Mix up some 2 part epoxy and smear it over the mesh tape, get some glue down in the hole and ram it all together.  Clean the glue up before it hardens and you should be good to go.

It's worked on the ones I've done that way.  I'm currently using castration bands to hold my reels onto the grips I've sanded down.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Good ideas.     ;)2

I can only add, I've found handle material on walks in wild areas, shore lines and my own yard.  A section from a pruned hardwood or fruit tree with a lot of work to remove everything that doesn't seem suitable for a rod handle.  One had a little curve. All are nice.       ;)

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Just follow your plan to use reuse the cork grips on the rods your cutting the tips off of.  I would cut them down to around 5 or 6 inches then sand them down to a diameter that feels good in your hands.  Wrap the base of the tips you want to use with mesh drywall tape (non paper type).   Mix up some 2 part epoxy and smear it over the mesh tape, get some glue down in the hole and ram it all together.  Clean the glue up before it hardens and you should be good to go.

It's worked on the ones I've done that way.  I'm currently using castration bands to hold my reels onto the grips I've sanded down.

I've done similar things like this. what I'll do with a rod is cut the blank about an inch above the handle and then cut the last 24 off from the tip end ( approx) I try to get at least 3 of the original guides. I'll then drill out the butt section if I have to to fit the diameter of the tip piece and get about 3 inches into the butt. fill that all with epoxy and jam the tip into it. before the epoxy dries I wrap the joint with 30lb braid and then re-coat with the rest of the epoxy. some times I'll glue and wrap another guide if needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.