The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Dam  (Read 3019 times)

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boysen Dam
« on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:59 PM »
I have always wanted to fish in the dam area for ling and trout, but have always been a little chicken. Since there is current from the water going into the canyon, is the ice stable enough to fish on?
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boysen Dam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:46 PM »
It's always the last place to freeze. There is fishable ice there but I wouldn't get to close to the dam.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll give it until February.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Go to the brannon boat ramp. Down the ramp and around the corner to the right. Fish for slimers at 15ft in the 30ft depth.  Fish for ling on bottom. Careful  though, cause ling tend to eat a minnow and go for the rocks. If you use tip ups, check them often.  ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Temps are supposed to drop lower in the next week or so, maybe later next week will be better.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:56 AM »
I'v only looked at that ice near the dam on a driveby...always wondered if it was safe. I think if I went out there, I'd always be in pucker-mode...I guess gun shy from last year, late season  ???

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Polaris with "air bags"?  :woot:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:26 PM »
 When ol Don dropped through last year, he had a bunch of perch-with airbags already deployed....onboard that polaris!

Must of been what kept his machine from sinking, never could figure that out till now. I was there and thought it was divine-intervention.....until now!

Those air-bagged perch saved you and the machine brother! Wow quite a miracle, if you ask me!

;D ;D ;D

Dog-out
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:44 PM »
 :bow: Perch, gotta love 'em. :bow:

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Maybe we can all chip in and get him a zodiac with wheels :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:37 AM »
Fished the dam last year lated in the season.  The ice was 18 inches or better but there were openspots around the edges so i would say a person needs to be careful.  Caught my first and only ling out there a monster 6 incher.

Zack

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM »
When ol Don dropped through last year, he had a bunch of perch-with airbags already deployed....onboard that polaris!

Must of been what kept his machine from sinking, never could figure that out till now. I was there and thought it was divine-intervention.....until now!

Those air-bagged perch saved you and the machine brother! Wow quite a miracle, if you ask me!

;D ;D ;D

Dog-out
     ...that and 30 inches depth on the water....checked it with my VX, fished through that hole all the while it took you 2 hours to drag your big old sled from out there in the middle of the lake  ;D :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :woot:

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Ouch! :wacko:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Maybe we can all chip in and get him a zodiac with wheels :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Naaaaaah...don't buy me anything, just chip in and give me the money  $$$$$$$$$$$$$  Hey wait, Bitz reminded me of something I saw year before last right there at Sandy Loop...guy jumped a pressure ridge one afternoon with one of those big 4 wheeler rangers I think it was , yeah, open water on the other side. But what I watched all day was the three rescue divers and all the gear it took to cut a hole 8 ft by 8 ft and bladder and winch that sucker up outta 45 ft water! Now talk about $$$$$$$ three rescue divers all day plus their gear. Boy, the Shanty's buzzin' today! Ya can tell it's  :%$#!: weather and the general membership is sippin' hot Irish coffee and pounding the keys. That buzzin noise? Oh, that's Dogg trying to propound a comeback for me dumping and him walking and dragging. Yeah, I recall distinctly his last words to me before he got in that warm Bronco and drove away, (Yawn) "Better git, I got three times as many perch as you to filet." Now c'mon Dogg, why was that?  ;D :tipup: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:34 PM »
 >:D :flex: ;)2
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM »
>:D :flex: ;)2
     One day next week Dogg, you me and Jaaaaaaaaack? Lemme know what works fer ya bro,  ;D :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:45 PM »
I can't make it this time, best of luck to all of ya and hey...watch those pressure ridges  :woot:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:02 PM »
 Watch u mean, you can't make it this time? Might be going to muddy this saturday if things go right ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Watch u mean, you can't make it this time? Might be going to muddy this saturday if things go right ::)

:callcops: :woot: (That's why.)  ;D $$

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Polaris with "air bags"?  :woot:
This is what keeps me out of the drink. Scared of thin ice spots on Glendo, and I usually fish alone.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I drilled a hole near the dam friday to find 16 inches of clear ice. However, my crew was scared of the popping the ice was making, so we didn't fish.

Went to birdseye where we got three nice trout and a bunch of pup ling. It was fast and furious from about 4 to 10. Fishing 20-40 feet right on the bottom with sucker minnows. Grand total of around 2 dozen with the biggest about 3lbs. Is there a trick to getting the big boys, or is it just luck?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:13 PM »
     For me, I've found it's been a combination of two things, luck and whether you're fishing a lake that's known for producing really big ling...so in that regard, I've always headed to Big Sandy for them.     LT :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.