The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Ups  (Read 1436 times)

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Ups
« on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:40 PM »
What are some good tip ups?
Ill pay the price and long as they will last dont wana get any p.o.s. that will just break?
Also how much line should i put on them and what pound test?

Thanks for the info ive never used them before and iam looking forward to it.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:43 PM »
your going to get ALOT

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:47 PM »
sorry i accidently hit tab which posted that last one, try this again.

your going to get ALOT of different responses on what is the best tip up, but personally if your looking for a good quality tip-up that will last for years, i bought a set of these a few years back and only work i have done is replaced my leaders and hooks..they are of excelent quality with a lacker coating on them to keep the ice off them and they already come spooled with line so all you have to do is put a leader and hook on them.

www.jacktraps.com

good luck with your choice

sticks

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:53 PM »
You can buy tip ups anywhere from $5.00 each up to $40.00 each...depends on what you want to spend.
I have some sthat I bought as a kid for $5, that I still use today....45 years later!!

Take a look at the HT Polar tip ups.....made of really rugged plastic material which will not break, easy to set up, easy to use.  Probably cost about $10-$12 each.

Some newer ones are round (fit inside a 5 gal. bucket for transport), have insulated foam backing to prevent hole freeze up.

Some are callled "high-flyers" because they are very high and can be used when the snow is deep (flags can be seen above the high snow).

Suggest you get a catalog from NATIONAL SPORTS SUPPLY  Phone (920) 994-9218  or got to WWW.877ICEFISH.COM and check out what they offer.  Prices are good and they have a great selection of ice fishing gear.

Or, got to E-Bay and put in "Ice Fishing" into their search bar...... you'll find all kinds of tip ups and othe gear at good prices.

Good Luck

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:52 PM »
go with the jack traps! everyone one here who has them recomends them very strongly

Offline thirdeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 01:30 AM »
What are some good tip ups?
Ill pay the price and long as they will last dont wana get any p.o.s. that will just break?
Also how much line should i put on them and what pound test?

Thanks for the info ive never used them before and iam looking forward to it.

I really like The Artic Fisherman Beaver Dam tip ups.  I have the foam hole covers for them too. I have quite a few HT Polar ones too, they are a good value.

~thirdeye~

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Pretty little brown you have there. 
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:15 AM »
i've got some cheap black plastic ones for i think $4 or so years ago.
never had any problem with them i can't recall the brand,  but they were made in USA.
they're light weight, fold up small, and hold a bunch of line.
the high end ones are very nice, but i don't think you really have to spend big bucks to get something useful
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I like the Frabill Artic Ice tipups, the are hard plastic, and are very well built.  Price varies from 10-16 bucks.  I have seen them on special at bass pro shops in Devner for 2 for 15 bucks....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.