The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Half Moon Lake Ice...  (Read 2295 times)

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Half Moon Lake Ice...
« on: Dec 22, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Drove to Half Moon Lake today and it is capped with ice ;D. I didn't venture out on it, but with as cold as it is over here it shouldn't take very long to get a few inches of ice built up.... Oh yeah, so far the road has not been plowed pass the turn to the private homes. Hopefully, somebody will plow it all the way to the end.... ::)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Half Moon Lake Ice...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2007, 06:19 PM »
So you can drive through the campground and bushwhack to the lake? Or is the campground road not plowed all the way? Thanks for the ice-intel!  ;D

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2007, 06:28 PM »
The plowing stops before the boat landing, but I did drive all the way to the resort and you can probably drive all the way to the end right now....

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:49 PM »
With the lodge being closed down now, I bet there will be limited plowing past the campground. Was there any ice on Fremont?

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Went to Half Moon today and just as I got there the wife called with a semi emergency so I could not stay and fish.  I did drill a hole about 15' off the boat ramp before I left and the ice was about 5" but I was not real comfortable with it, it had snow frozen in it.  If I could, I would have gone out and fished with a moderate pucker factor.  There was some open water on the far west end.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:29 AM »
I drilled some holes my new hand auger to test it out near the boat ramp, and the ice was about 5".  It is still only plowed to the road leading to the houses, just before the boat ramp.  Start lobbying the Forest Service to plow!

I Also checked out New Fork Lake, you can still drive in to it, people are fishing it, and there is about 7" of ice or so.  I bet all the Pinedale area lakes are safe for ice fishing now, except Fremont.  Fremont is still completely open, and my guess is it will take some really calm weather to get it frozen.  Seems like it is nearly February before you can count on getting safe ice there.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:30 AM »
we're comin' this weekend!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I drilled some holes my new hand auger to test it out near the boat ramp, and the ice was about 5".  It is still only plowed to the road leading to the houses, just before the boat ramp.  Start lobbying the Forest Service to plow!

I Also checked out New Fork Lake, you can still drive in to it, people are fishing it, and there is about 7" of ice or so.  I bet all the Pinedale area lakes are safe for ice fishing now, except Fremont.  Fremont is still completely open, and my guess is it will take some really calm weather to get it frozen.  Seems like it is nearly February before you can count on getting safe ice there.
Fremont Lake, Higgins Point! Ooooooow...let us know when that always-late lake comes on  ;D

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Hey BD, here is pic of that big laker my wife caught at Halfmoon lake a few years back....

Just shy of 40", fat, 25 lbs....

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:06 PM »
dude, dorado, that thing is darker than most lakers around here!  fremont and halfmoon seem to have that; maybe some of the others down there, too.  big, beautiful red fins, too!  awesome mounter!   :bow:

Offline Itsallaboutcatchingem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:09 PM »
How did you get that through the hole?  What size auger do you use out there?

Thanks.
No, it's your turn!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:33 PM »
We had a 10" auger.  She got the front of its head into the hole and we grabbed its lower jaw while wearing leather gloves and popped it through.

We have fished that same area for 10 years and besides a 16 pounder another friend caught that same day, I have never seen anything close to that size from Halfmoon.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:01 PM »
There is always a report of a big fish or two out of Half Moon every year but I have never seen or caught those huge fish out of there.  We were there Tuesday and my 5yr old caught a 4lb. 15oz laker.  Little fart, but hey, "I" caught more fish that he did!!!

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:10 PM »
I almost forgot, they plowed to and around the parking lot at the boat ramp Tuesday.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:37 PM »
We had a 10" auger.  She got the front of its head into the hole and we grabbed its lower jaw while wearing leather gloves and popped it through.

We have fished that same area for 10 years and besides a 16 pounder another friend caught that same day, I have never seen anything close to that size from Halfmoon.
     I've never seen one that big come out of Half Moon, but I've seen fish half that size win the derby, congrats to wife, that's a beauty !

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Hey BD, here is pic of that big laker my wife caught at Halfmoon lake a few years back....

Just shy of 40", fat, 25 lbs....

(Image removed from quote.)

So Dorado what is the most consistant bait to use on halfmoon? Also if you don't mind sharing,what was your wife using on that 25lber.Thanks for any info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.