The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Never Thought It Would Happen Here  (Read 978 times)

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Never Thought It Would Happen Here
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:51 PM »
This is from the G&F website so you pregnant ice fishers take heed

WYOMING RESIDENTS ADVISED TO AVOID EATING FISH HIGH IN MERCURY

12/10/2007

Cheyenne- The Wyoming Department of Health and the Wyoming Game and Fish Department are advising state residents to be mindful about mercury levels in fish they eat.  In addition to some saltwater fish, the agencies are advising caution when consuming certain fish from Big Horn, Seminoe, and Pathfinder reservoirs.

"Eating fish with high amounts of mercury can cause health problems, especially in children," said Timothy Ryan, environmental public health section chief with Wyoming Department of Health.

"In general, Wyoming fish are low in mercury," Ryan said. "But we are recommending that women of childbearing age, pregnant women, nursing mothers and children under the age of 15 should eat more small Wyoming-caught fish and fewer large fish, and should avoid eating channel catfish, bass, sauger and walleye from certain waters.

Specifically, the agencies are recommending the following guidelines relevant to fish consumption:

Women of childbearing age, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children under 15 are advised to consume no more than two meals per week of fish that are low in mercury. People in that group should not eat fish that are considered high in mercury.

For people not in the above category, the agencies are advising prudent consumption of fish that are low in mercury and no more than one to two meals per month of fish that are high in mercury.

Freshwater fish that are low in mercury include: Wyoming-caught trout and farm-raised tilapia and farm-raised catfish.

Freshwater fish that are high in mercury include: channel catfish, sauger, and walleye from Big Horn, Seminoe, and Pathfinder reservoirs.

Mike Stone, Fisheries Chief with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, explained that fish size is a factor affecting mercury levels. "The longer a fish lives the greater its chances of accumulating mercury in its tissues," Stone said. "In general, fish that feed on other fish or bottom-feeders are also more likely to accumulate mercury."

Game and Fish has conducted baseline surveys on major reservoirs around the state for several years. Fish from the majority of waters exhibited low levels of mercury. A few waters warranted additional testing that led to the fish consumption advisory. Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is distributed throughout the environment by both natural processes and human activities.

The specific recommendations are available on the Department of Health’s website and will be included in the 2008-09 Wyoming Fishing Regulations, which will be available at Game and Fish offices and license selling agents on January 1, 2008. The recommendations include information about various fish types and bodies of water in the state, and are based on current information from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department.  Future guidelines may change as further testing results become available.

Ryan emphasized that finding mercury in fish is not unique to Wyoming. "In fact, all other states except Alaska have previously issued similar fish consumption advisories for their citizens."

For more information about mercury levels in saltwater species, and for more information about the guidelines, go to  www.health.wyo.gov.
(Contact: Kim Deti, (307) 777-6420; Eric Keszler, (307) 777-4594)

Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Never Thought It Would Happen Here
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:32 PM »
sounds like the mitchell report!  :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:01 PM »
     I recall during our visits to Mississippi, we came across a similar MS G&F directive which stated simply that even if you were un-pregnant, don't eat any of the fish from these waters (list) mercury content was off the scale and then right behind that, no consumption of large catfish and no sharks from the Gulf.  :woot: So I suppose we should consider ourselves fortunate since we're at the low end of that trouble...course Bohman77 is probably glowing in the dark from all those big ole catfish he caught and ate outta Boysen last year  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:13 AM »
How did you guess? I keep pegging the radiological detectors at work just by walking past them.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:06 AM »
I'm sure those aren't the only lakes. Thats ok more people will turn their fish back for me to catch at a later and bigger time ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I rememeber reading  something a few years ago when I live in Sheridan that the mecurcy levels in TRR were high and not to eat too many big fish out of that lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.