The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Male and female trout  (Read 2131 times)

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Male and female trout
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I was wondering if there are any sure fire ways to tell if a rainbow is a male or a female.  I ask because i like to keep a fish or two one in a while to put up some eggs for bait but have a heck of a time determining wether some trout are male or female.  I know that most of the time a hen with eggs will be lighter color and have a more rounded nose and a male this time of year will be getting more color and begin to have a hooked jaw.  But i have been proven wrong a couple times lately.
For example the bigger trout was a male and i thought for sure it was a female.

I'm just looking for any feedback from anyone experience. thanks
Zack

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Male and female trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:46 PM »
I've always wondered that myself, I do know that when they flop and you squeeze one a little too hard, the males let you what they are.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:57 PM »
I'm with you BigZee,

I have a heck of a time telling them a part until I open them up. By then its too late.  Since I don't usually use the eggs for bait, I would like to be able to release the spawners. 

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Little one a male and big one female! Ok I don't know really but looks like you had fun :tipup:
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:20 PM »
You can tell with trout.....sometimes. 

With  most salmonids that have never spawned or matured (like the ones in the pics) it is impossible.  Females get a more "rounded" head, and often have a distinctive bulging look to their bellies when they are full of eggs.  Males that are preparing to spawn or have spawned several times will develop a kype or hooked lower jaw, and sometimes have brighter coloration. 

Generally, if the fish has a "short" looking lower jaw and a rounded head it is female.  Take a look at the big Laker posted by BD a few weeks back in the Wyoming Hardwater hotspots, you can see the rounded shape to the head and jaw of a female. 

When you look at enough of them side by side you can tell...sometimes!

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I definatly agree that it has to do with maturity.  Older fish have more distinct characterists. 

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Interesting rainbows you have there. When I first looked at them I thought that they were stockers. Then I noticed the adipose fin. I cannot see if they have much of a dorsal fin. Did they have a full dorsal??  Fat and healthy buggers I must say.  :laugh:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:45 AM »
The females are the ones that will second guess anything that you are doing...
They often ask "are you sure?..."
 :o :o :o :o

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.