The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Smelt  (Read 1592 times)

Offline fishrdye51

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Anyone had any luck catching smelt? Was planning on fishing this weekend up at Littleville or maybe Colebrook. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:51 AM »
They are definitely schooling up - bite has been spotty, some nights on, some nights off - more luck finding them in the past week at least - I’ve hit all 3 lakes that hold them (not including colebrook)

As always I endorse keeping only what you need so that our few remaining smelt populations can continue to thrive!

Offline swampa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bring on the trout
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:54 AM »
lake quinsigamond is loaded with smelt over on the worcester side where poor farm brook empties into lake ( old boat ramp ) try fishing there at night with lantern and small meal worms foot or two below the ice

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:05 AM »
lake quinsigamond is loaded with smelt over on the worcester side where poor farm brook empties into lake ( old boat ramp ) try fishing there at night with lantern and small meal worms foot or two below the ice
Used to be loaded. Not to much recently. I got one there by mistake last time I fished there.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:58 AM »
There are a few lakes with remnant smelt populations - but not really enough to target, including quinsig, unless they are making a small-scale comeback - I have also read that smelt were making a comeback in cliff (as of 2011) but there is almost never enough ice there to check and see...

The lake the original poster mentioned will work(not sure on colebrook)

Offline fishrdye51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Thanks guys! I haven’t heard anybody taking smelt from Colebrook in 20 years but it’s kinda local. Thanks again for the info!

Offline glenn1776

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Colebrook smelt are hard to come by these days or any species. They have ruined that lake!
Flag Up

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Colebrook smelt are hard to come by these days or any species. They have ruined that lake!

You think bc they let it get so low?  It is a nice drive from one end to the other in summer but they sure let that place get low so they can continue to feed the farmy and those snob fly fishermen.  ;)

I'd be curious if Colebrook even has enough ice as well.  There's typically some current and its the most southern of the smelt spots.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:23 AM »
I wouldn't trust the ice on colebrook res this ice season
Go big or go home

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I would use xtreme caution on colebrook.with all the rain and snow melt the farmington river is running pretty good this year.colebrook is pretty deep and one of the last places i would consider this year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:39 PM »
I wouldn't trust the ice on colebrook res this ice season

Disagree with this too even though I know you Ed.  Stop calling shots from the couch.  Grab your spud and try the ice instead of guessing.

Colebrook ices up reliably almost every year.  The current goes through a very narrow and specific area of the lake.  The smelt bite can be really good and I have absolutely smashed trout there trolling. 

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Hard to believe but the north end whitch has the most current freezes first at Colebrook.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Hard to believe but the north end whitch has the most current freezes first at Colebrook.

Yup.  Every year.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Need to start planning my one smelt trip out west for the year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.