The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Attempt at Smelt  (Read 2125 times)

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
Attempt at Smelt
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Tell me what I need everyone...

Its been a LONG time since I fished for smelt.  I used to spend my winter nights on St. Catherine as a kid jigging them up, but my memories are foggy and I'm sure techniques have changed.  I used to buy what we called "minnies" or "pinheads", and hook them onto a size 6 hook.  I had 2 snelled hooks hanging from 6-8" leaders, both off the 4lb mono line and a long shiny weight at the bottom.  (Kinda like the bottom rigs you might surfcast with on the ocean) 

Then, we'd drop an old car headlight into a hole, and use jumpers to connect it to a car battery.  We'd jig around it at varying depths and I'd catch an easy meal. 

I'm told St. Catherine doesn't have much anymore, but I'll be cruising past Echo and Rescue this weekend, which apparently both have decent populations now.  I'd like to give my kids a chance to experience this fun. 

I plan on setting up the popup shanty, turning on the heater and hanging a LED lantern from the ceiling.
Do people still use a light?  If so, I'm assuming you don't use an old car headlight anymore.
I have a couple small jig rods.  Is that better than hand lining them?
I don't think I've seen the bait I used to use at the local stores anymore - what does everyone use?

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Attempt at Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:12 PM »
I haven't gone after them for a few years now but we always used a Hali with a couple maggots on it.  That always worked well.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Spikes are good bait. Also skinning a piece of smelt works good too.

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:20 PM »
A Hali tipped with spikes always works. I use a green drop light in the hole. You can catch them during the day but they really turn on at night.

I need to head out this weekend for some smelt too.
 :P

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:54 AM »
Hey Pete,
Hali with cut bait "smelt belly strips", cut thin and keep them fresh. This has always worked best for me. How is your young Trout Bum doing this year?

Best, from an old Trout Bum

Bob

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:14 AM »
A Hali tipped with spikes always works. I use a green drop light in the hole. You can catch them during the day but they really turn on at night.

I need to head out this weekend for some smelt too.
 :P

Where do you get the green drop light?  I have a very bright headlamp that gives me a couple hours of battery life, and I thought about cutting out a block of stryrofoam to float that facing down in the water. 

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:18 AM »
Hey Pete,
Hali with cut bait "smelt belly strips", cut thin and keep them fresh. This has always worked best for me. How is your young Trout Bum doing this year?

Best, from an old Trout Bum

Bob

Hey Bob, good to hear from you.  I now have 2 trout bums...my 8yr old is just like his older brother.  (My daughter likes to eat the trout, but is happy targeting anything that will bite...atta girl)  Its been a very slow year for us on brownies.  We have a couple small ones on the ice in some local water bodies, but nothing big, and zero on the ice in my usual spots.  Let me know if you head south to my area this winter.

Good advice on the bait, I forgot about cutting up the bellys. 

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:48 AM »
I got my drop light from Amazon. They have a cheap one for around $25 that is ok and works just fine. For more lumens you pay more $$. They come with alligator clips that go right onto the battery or your flasher, or bring an aux battery.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:58 AM »
With good clear ice, we've even used a green light on a headlamp and set it right on the ice next to the hole.  Seemed to work fine and the smelt were coming right up into the hole!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I built an underwater light using an LED strip off amazon. It has the same output as the 2' hydroglow and cost me around $40 in materials. Works great but I should have done a better job minimizing the air volume... takes 30oz to sink it! 

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:36 PM »
With good clear ice, we've even used a green light on a headlamp and set it right on the ice next to the hole.  Seemed to work fine and the smelt were coming right up into the hole!

If all you have is headlamp with the green light, here is a trick to get more spread from the headlamp.

Drill a separate hole for your light but don’t cut all the way through. Get about 3/4 of the way through then stop. Put your headlamp in there. The light will be magnified by the ice. It won’t be a huge amount but should give you something.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Lots of good info on here.

Until I catch a couple to use belly strips, assuming I can't get the pinheads, think I could get a couple on the ice using bits of worms?

Offline Lovetofish131

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:37 PM »
You can use a mountain dew bottle and a good flash light

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:43 PM »
I don't think it has to be green.  Old timers put a lantern by a hole.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:03 PM »
Hydro-Glow led underwater light. 12” 1000 lumen 12v model HG354 ($80) works great for me. Well built and bright, I have had mine over 5 years used in both fresh and salt water. Works great for both smelt and squid.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Lots of good info on here.

Until I catch a couple to use belly strips, assuming I can't get the pinheads, think I could get a couple on the ice using bits of worms?
that will work or as others said just get a vial of spikes/maggots.Don't forget to use halis! Good Luck.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I shine a strong flashlight down the hole and that works fine for me

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Once you get some smelt eyes work great but put 2 on they strip them easy

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Does anybody else use yarn over the hali chain? Red yarn?
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline Niceeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:44 AM »
I like a small strip of nylon stocking material and cut bait.  The snipers many times get there teeth caught in the nylon and can’t shake loose.  And keep fresh bait there.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I don't think it has to be green.  Old timers put a lantern by a hole.

I used to catch them with non-green light, but I'd give green a shot too I guess. 

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:28 AM »
If all you have is headlamp with the green light, here is a trick to get more spread from the headlamp.

Drill a separate hole for your light but don’t cut all the way through. Get about 3/4 of the way through then stop. Put your headlamp in there. The light will be magnified by the ice. It won’t be a huge amount but should give you something.

I'm going to try this way next time

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:31 AM »
We headed out in the snow/sleet/rain to give it a shot Sunday.  We got there in time to set some tipups and the boys scratched the itch by pulling a couple rainbows up.
Once it started to get dark, I set up the shanty out in the spot I think is the deepest water, drilled a few holes inside, and we gave it a shot.  I took my super bright headlamp and aimed it down the hole.  It seems like it provided plenty of light - probably more than the old Chevy headlight I used to use.  We only jigged for an hour or so because it was a school night, but as we were about to be done for the night, I had a hit but wasn't paying enough attention and missed it.  I think it was just enough action/adventure to keep them interested in another try....thanks for all the advice everyone.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Wow, that image is huge...sorry.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:32 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com