Author Topic: New Milwaukee Drill  (Read 7365 times)

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
New Milwaukee Drill
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Hey guys,  I bought the M18 Fuel 18V Brushless Cordless 1/2in Hammer drill model 2804-22. Came with 2 5aH batteries. After stumbling upon a few threads that people had issues, I want to make sure this is a good drill to use with the Kdrill before I use it. 

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Milwaukee Drill
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Yes, best on the market. Use it on the correct setting and will be fine. Worse case, register in case you run across warranty work. Enjoy!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Thank you! I'm admittedly a newb when it comes to power tools. So from what I read it should be on the drill setting. Going to use it tomorrow for the first time

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I’ve been using this model all season with an 8 in Nils on a Clam plate. No issues at all. Yes, drill setting and speed 1.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Awesome thanks guys

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Yep, you've got the pick of the litter there. Not only great performance as an ice auger power unit but just a superb all around tool.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Hey guys,  I bought the M18 Fuel 18V Brushless Cordless 1/2in Hammer drill model 2804-22. Came with 2 5aH batteries. After stumbling upon a few threads that people had issues, I want to make sure this is a good drill to use with the Kdrill before I use it.
Looking for one where did you get it and how much? Decided to not go with the kdrill but looking for the drill.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Looking for one where did you get it and how much? Decided to not go with the kdrill but looking for the drill.
Keep it safe! JDL

got it at home cheapo yesterday for $250.  After looking at their countless options for the different brands of drills, I found this to be the best deal considering (2) 5aH batteries included

sunniewally

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Save yourself some grief and get a clam plate for it. The brace handle on them are junk! They will break.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Save yourself some grief and get a clam plate for it. The brace handle on them are junk! They will break.

I love the Clam Plate. Picked one up this year. It works great.

Offline Cold_Toes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:07 AM »
We have used one for 3 years with 8 inch Nils!!  Great....hardly use the gas anymore.... and it does everything around the farm all year long.  They are great you won't be disappointed. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I also run the fuel, on an 8" mora. Changed it the stock handle for a better one, and have had no issues with the drill itself. Plenty of power for the 8" auger.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I also run the fuel, on an 8" mora. Changed it the stock handle for a better one, and have had no issues with the drill itself. Plenty of power for the 8" auger.
  Which aftermarket handle are you using?  I broke mine off on my 2704, but I see they improved the handle design on the updated 2804 drill. Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:32 AM »

I have the 2704 Milwaukee hammer drill..the 2804 has the new improved handle ..I have mine set up on the Clam Plate with the 8 in Kdrill ..with our recent ice 9-11 inches I got 35 holes on one 5 ah battery .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:42 AM »
  Which aftermarket handle are you using?  I broke mine off on my 2704, but I see they improved the handle design on the updated 2804 drill. Thanks!

I did some trial fitting at work with a few different ones, and most of the handles off other brands don't work because of the shape of the Milwaukee. I found one of the band style handles off a cheap porter cable drill that fit fairly well, been using it all year with no problem.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I did some trial fitting at work with a few different ones, and most of the handles off other brands don't work because of the shape of the Milwaukee. I found one of the band style handles off a cheap porter cable drill that fit fairly well, been using it all year with no problem.
  Ahh okay.  I was searching Google last week to see if there were any that had a full ring to go around the drill to secure better, but aftermarket handles aren't something that exist from what I found.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:53 AM »

Make sure you are on "drill mode" and setting '1"...good video @ 3:53 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:07 PM »
I just got the 2704 M18 that will be mounted on my Ice Kicker 2.  Was thinking about the Clam plate, just read about too many guys with auger wobble issues. Been running the Ice Kicker with an old black and decker drill so I'm expecting to see quite an improvement.

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Make sure you really tighten the chuck good, tighten it and then tighten it again... On my very first hole ever with my new Milwaukee drill and Kdrill I was impressed at how well it cut, smiling ear to ear. When I drilled the hole through the ice the kdrill came out of the chuck and went right down the hole..  :woot:

Thankfully the built-in foam floatation on the drill kept it from sinking and I was able to retrieve it.. Once I tightened the chuck properly, it never happened again.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Tighten it all the way down, then one click back, locks the chuck.

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:29 PM »

Good information right there...

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:38 PM »
Figured that one out quick after fishing my new auger off then bottom of 15 ft of water with a magnet on a rope.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:43 PM »
thanks for the tips everyone!

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 PM »
highest tourque is rigid octane ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:00 PM »
I just got the 2704 M18 that will be mounted on my Ice Kicker 2.  Was thinking about the Clam plate, just read about too many guys with auger wobble issues. Been running the Ice Kicker with an old black and decker drill so I'm expecting to see quite an improvement.

Except none of those wobble issues were from the plate itself...

I've still had it come loose after that, not very often but randomly it has happened a few times. I got in the habit of just checking and re tightening every new set of holes I'm drilling.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Ok not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone know what just a driver drill , 2019 or 18 model number would be? Talking Milwaukee? Looking at the sites I see that most of the drills that/come up are hammer drills I can use a new drill around the place don’t know if I need a hammer drill. Reeds has a good looking deal for a kdrill but decided against the kdrill. So looking to get a a MW with the 1200 torque rate. Or should I get a hammer drill? Again sorry but just looking for a resolution for my inter web search. Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:23 PM »
The issue I had wasnt so much it loosening, but it actually crushed the aluminum adapter. Then it just fell out. Switched to a steel adapter with the bungee that goes around the drill just in case. Re tightening every few holes is a good habit to get into.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Ok not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone know what just a driver drill , 2019 or 18 model number would be? Talking Milwaukee? Looking at the sites I see that most of the drills that/come up are hammer drills I can use a new drill around the place don’t know if I need a hammer drill. Reeds has a good looking deal for a kdrill but decided against the kdrill. So looking to get a a MW with the 1200 torque rate. Or should I get a hammer drill? Again sorry but just looking for a resolution for my inter web search. Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL
2703/2803 is the regular drill.  2704/2804 is the hammer drill.  Either will work fine.  Some say the hammer drills have beefier internals, but I can't confirm that.  I think they're always around the same price, so I went with the 2704 hammer drill last year and it's been working great, except I broke the handle off.  The new 2804 model has an improved handle design and I haven't seen anyone talk about breaking one off yet.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:33 PM »
2703/2803 is the regular drill.  2704/2804 is the hammer drill.  Either will work fine.  Some say the hammer drills have beefier internals, but I can't confirm that.  I think they're always around the same price, so I went with the 2704 hammer drill last year and it's been working great, except I broke the handle off.  The new 2804 model has an improved handle design and I haven't seen anyone talk about breaking one off yet.
But the hammer drill version is good for what y’all are doing on the ice? Cause the hammer drills are more in stock. And once in a great while I could use a hammer drill. Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:35 PM »
highest tourque is rigid octane ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I’m thinking A Milwaukee Mud mixer....... ;)2 ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.