Author Topic: Marcum Recon 5+ or Aqua View Revolution Pro 5.0  (Read 3943 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Marcum Recon 5+ or Aqua View Revolution Pro 5.0
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:23 PM »
I am looking for a compact camera for hole hopping and bonus use in the summer. These both seem to be good
Options for around $350.  Any strong feelings for one over the other?

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum Recon 5+ or Aqua View Revolution Pro 5.0
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:29 AM »
I just purchased my second aqua vu first was a scout that was too bukly to lug around ,this one is the stealth 4.3 and it fits in my pocket and is very good for run and gun.Second reason was it only costs 209.99 from TRS on reel deal,works great and am very pleased,you give it a look.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Aqua Vu has the cable management system ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:54 AM »
I am looking for a compact camera for hole hopping and bonus use in the summer. These both seem to be good
Options for around $350.  Any strong feelings for one over the other?

Hi ,
I have recon plus new tryed once in my fish tank . I don’t think I ever going to use it (just not my think)
If you interested please let me know
Will make a deal . I don’t even took of
protective film from the screen...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 12:09 PM »
         Hi ,
I have recon plus new tryed once in my fish tank . I don’t think I ever going to use it (just not my think)
If you interested please let me know
Will make a deal . I don’t even took of
protective film from the screen...

What didn’t you like about it?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:20 AM »
I debated between the two last year and went with the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5.0 Pro. I've been very happy with the Aqua Vu; the reel system makes dropping down the camera and bringing it back up quick and easy and I'm sure I use it more because of that. The biggest issue I had with the Recon 5+ was the strange video codec that they use that makes your video appear stretched/distorted and all but unusable on the computer and youtube. Given that issue and the reel on the aqua vu, it was a no brainer.

Here's some random video I took on the Revolution Pro 5.0:

Here's an awesome video (not mine!) that Aqua Vu shared on Facebook:

The video does look better on the smaller screen than on the computer, but overall, I've been very happy with it. It's fantastic for scouting and I also use it in the summer to verify what species I'm seeing on when I find schools on my fishfinder.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I have the Micro Mini. Only about 3-1/2" diagonal screen. Fits perfect in my flip over hut. Check out Pro-snake mount you can install in your boat at different places. 

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:47 PM »
I ordered the Aqua view Micro Revolution Pro 5. For it for $300 shipped with travel case and car charger ($40-60 accessory). Excited to try it.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I ordered the Aqua view Micro Revolution Pro 5. For it for $300 shipped with travel case and car charger ($40-60 accessory). Excited to try it.

Good deal!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:30 AM »

Where did you find that deal?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Love my new Revolution 5.0. Great little camera, awesome scouting tool. Fun to watch the fish react to the jig. New tool.... @)
Sorry I can't compare the 2 for you, have never used the Marcum, but I'm sure it's a nice unit.
My first experience with a camera was when a buddy bought one of the cheap units off e bay. It had LED white lights that you couldn't turn off and the lights seemed to scare the fish away. The fish swim right by this (no lights on) and never spook unless you are messing with the cable. It does have an IR light, but I haven't needed it. The image is very clear, but so have the waters I've been in. Haven't been out at night since getting it a couple of weeks back.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:03 AM »
 My Revolution 5 came with a 16gb internal memory card. I thought it was supposed to be only 8gb according to their website. I guess they have upgraded the latest units. Mine was made on Oct 22, 2018.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:36 AM »
 ;D So, how do you Aqua Vu users find the daylight (not in the shanty) viewing? I've got the Marcum 385c and it is almost impossible to see out of the shack on even a cloudy day. Looking to up-grade to something I can record video and share quickly (on site) with friends.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:00 PM »
;D So, how do you Aqua Vu users find the daylight (not in the shanty) viewing? I've got the Marcum 385c and it is almost impossible to see out of the shack on even a cloudy day. Looking to up-grade to something I can record video and share quickly (on site) with friends.

Got some ant-glare film ..or an Ipad or something on clearance @ Walmart ...solved some issues ..the AV with a cover helps..also getting it shaded some helps.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icesheet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:08 PM »
I have had the Recon 5+ for 2 seasons now and am not a fan of it. The direction feature does not seem to work well, it originally worked great without a memory card in it and now stopped working without a memory card and has gotten very hot. The temp readings were getting to around 100 deg and it seemed to be overheating.
It does work well to see what type of bottom you're on but to see much around when the camera is horizontal I have been disappointed.
I have no experience with the Aqua Vu product.

Offline Chris Munchow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Guys,

The Revolution 5.0 Pro will normally ship with the 8GB SD card. During a production run our factory ran out of 8GB cards and substituted some 16GB cards. We were not informed of this at the time. We feel about 100 units left the factory with 16GB cards. We do not have any way to tell which units could have the larger cards.

We are working on a video to show anglers how to change the internal SD card if they choose. At this time I do not have complete data on how large of a card the system will support but it looks like it may work with a 64GB card.

A little more information on the original 8GB card in the system. The video format is MP4 so it's very compatible with all systems. A 5-min recording is around 80mb. There are 8000mb in 8gb. This gives you around 8-hours of video.  I've used these systems a ton and found that to be plenty of storage as I typically review and move or delete the video after each outing. We did not make the unit with an accessible SD card to keep the unit waterproof as moisture is very good at entering systems that are not sealed.  This is also why we went to the magnetic charging port. By opting to upgrade the internal storage you do run the risk of the unit not sealing properly after the procedure and it may void the warranty.

Thanks
Chris

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Guys,

The Revolution 5.0 Pro will normally ship with the 8GB SD card. During a production run our factory ran out of 8GB cards and substituted some 16GB cards. We were not informed of this at the time. We feel about 100 units left the factory with 16GB cards. We do not have any way to tell which units could have the larger cards.

We are working on a video to show anglers how to change the internal SD card if they choose. At this time I do not have complete data on how large of a card the system will support but it looks like it may work with a 64GB card.

A little more information on the original 8GB card in the system. The video format is MP4 so it's very compatible with all systems. A 5-min recording is around 80mb. There are 8000mb in 8gb. This gives you around 8-hours of video.  I've used these systems a ton and found that to be plenty of storage as I typically review and move or delete the video after each outing. We did not make the unit with an accessible SD card to keep the unit waterproof as moisture is very good at entering systems that are not sealed.  This is also why we went to the magnetic charging port. By opting to upgrade the internal storage you do run the risk of the unit not sealing properly after the procedure and it may void the warranty.

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for explaining why my system has the 16GB card.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.