Author Topic: Eskimo pop up issue  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo pop up issue
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:52 PM »

My eskimo i5 fell victim to saturday's winds. One of the little black straps with the grommet to put the ice anchor through finally ripped off the hut during one big gust. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for repairing this, should I try to stitch it back on somehow or should I install a grommet on the outside skirt of the hut?

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo pop up issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:46 PM »
How about a threaded eye bolt with 2 big fender washers?? Sandwich the fabric between the washers and tighten the nuts. Should give you more of a spread out pulling area.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:51 AM »
I am in the same boat only I lost all of my grommet straps, year before this happened I contacted Eskimo and they sent me a replacement!! Good customer service!
Wait there's ice????

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:55 AM »
How about a threaded eye bolt with 2 big fender washers?? Sandwich the fabric between the washers and tighten the nuts. Should give you more of a spread out pulling area.

When doing this keep in mind that you are no longer using the corners of the shanty itself but the skirt around it so it won’t be held down and anymore! I would put them as close to the hut in the skirt as possible just my opinion!
Wait there's ice????

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:00 AM »
They sell grommet sets to allow you to put grommets in fabric. 2 halves that smash together then you cut the hole out
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:05 AM »
My grommets have been shot for a few years now. I have successfully used washed on either side of the black strap, Just make sure the washers are the right size so the anchors don't push through them

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:34 AM »
My eskimo i5 fell victim to saturday's winds. One of the little black straps with the grommet to put the ice anchor through finally ripped off the hut during one big gust. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for repairing this, should I try to stitch it back on somehow or should I install a grommet on the outside skirt of the hut?
Find someone with upholstery stitching equipment and have them evaluate reattaching might be an option . Good luck

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I would be concerned the fender washers moving back and forth would stress the fabric and cause it to tear.

While camping if this was to happen to a tent/tarp an old scout trick would be to put a small rock under the fabric and tie a rope around it on the other side until you can repair it.

Stitching seems like the best solution - but if you are looking for a quick fix google "tarp anchors" - you'll see a couple of cheap solutions that could work for you. Below are some examples...

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:04 AM »
I lost all my grommet straps this past Saturday. Thank god I tied down the wall anchors. I bought a grommet kit ($10) and have some tie down material (strapping). Going to try and come up with some kind of fix. That was the worst wind I have ever fished in.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I am in the same boat only I lost all of my grommet straps, year before this happened I contacted Eskimo and they sent me a replacement!! Good customer service!
Same here. I also list all 4 on my 949. Eskimo sent me a brand new one.  Great customer service!

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Eskimo is going to have a big sales year this year from the sounds of it  $$ ;D
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Count me in...although my straps all made it through the wind, I did have 4 poles snap and splinter on my QF6. Contacted Eskimo and they gave me a break on the shipping costs - happy with that!

However, I still have a zillion frigging fiberglass splinters in my hands that are IMPOSSIBLE to get out.  Those little buggers are driving me insane.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Count me in...although my straps all made it through the wind, I did have 4 poles snap and splinter on my QF6. Contacted Eskimo and they gave me a break on the shipping costs - happy with that!

However, I still have a zillion frigging fiberglass splinters in my hands that are IMPOSSIBLE to get out.  Those little buggers are driving me insane.
how much was it to replace the poles
in god we trust

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:52 AM »
$10 a piece.  When you try to order them thru the eskimo website, the shipping was $30.  You give them a call and the shipping costs get cut by more than 60%.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I just received word that eskimo will be sending me a new pop up. They did however ask that I "Field Destroy" the pop up I have by cutting a giant slash on the side with the serial number and then sending them a picture of that. Seemed a bit strange to me, was anyone else asked to do this?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Send it to me and I’ll do that for you.  ;D

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:04 PM »
I just received word that eskimo will be sending me a new pop up They did however ask that I "Field Destroy" the pop up I have by cutting a giant slash on the side with the serial number. Seemed a bit strange to me, was anyone else asked to do this?

Yup that’s their policies...when Ion sent me a new auger they needed a picture of my original (bent) auger hacksawed in half before they would send a new one...somehow I still ended up with a new one and a whole spare AND one cut in half... ;)

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Well.....just got off phone with Eskimo, wasn't looking for a new house, even though mine is just over a year old, was just looking for some type of fix or replacement straps. I was told that it was not a manufacturing defect, really all 4 corners pulled out (I was honest about the winds, they were hell) and my response to them was my friends 2 Clam huts held up just fine. I was told sorry and bring it to someone who could sew on the original straps. Looks like I'm done with Eskimo products now. Oh well, what are you going to do.....buy a CLAM.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:01 AM »
I have friends that have had all the tabs rip out without wind issues in the last two years. Seems to be  a new problem for them. They would not warranty it either. On another note my new p1 base plate broke and the customer service was amazing.
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Finally got a new pop up from Eskimo, turns out the first few people you get on the phone just tell you to go screw and try sewing it on yourself. I killed em with kindness, just simply said that was unacceptable and that I'd like to speak with a manager. Eventually after waiting on hold and talking to a low level manager I got someone legit on the phone and they sent me a new one.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Good to know troutsniffer! :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.