The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo mako43 Cold start  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Lovshak

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo mako43 Cold start
« on: Dec 31, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Hey all...I have a 3 year old, bought brand new Mako that typically runs well after first Initial start..stored in my unheated garage. The only concern would be, after drilling a few holes, fish, and decide to move..
After letting the auger sit in the cold, it won’t start unless we pull off the head from the flight and warm it up in the cab of the truck.
Question being...and basic mechanically inclined here....What would be the cause, and what steps would I take to help?  This really has been the way it’s acted from day one. I run Aspen fuel typically..

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo mako43 Cold start
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:16 PM »
What is your start up procedure? Sounds like you could be flooding it. My m43 starts first pull 99% of the time, even sitting on the ice in sub 0 temps. Always stored out in the unheated garage. I can't see how temp would affect it.

My start up is the first start of the day, 2 primes and 1 pull. Then no primes the rest of the day, just pick it up and give it a pull. When I fist got it, I followed the start up instructions and would prime it before trying to start each time, every time it flooded and took 20-30 pulls to get it to sputter. Rarely it will sputter on the 1st pull and then I need to give it another to get it to fully start, mostly because I have my idle screw set to idle pretty low... probably too low.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Sounds to me it needs more fuel .sounds like its lean when cold.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Check the plug gap ...is the gas cap properly vented ....I would run a shot of SeaFoam in the auger tank
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:32 PM »
The only time it takes me more than two pulls to start mine is when I have brain dead moments and set it with the gas cap facing down. It floods and I have to pull a few extra times to blow the gas out.

Checking the plug gap might give you some answers. The gaps for these things are pretty well documented all over the place. The only way you could have a venting issue is if the cap has a flaw in it. The caps are self venting so one way to eliminate this as an issue is to see if someone you know has this auger and swap caps.

The other immediate thought is your idle setting. Get it started and let it warm up. Leave it idle and let it warm up. Once warm pick it up and adjust until the bit turns at idle...then back it off until it stops. That’s where you want it to be. Since I use mine all summer long digging post holes my idle is constantly being adjusted. There’s a big difference between -5 and 85 and humid so it needs to be tweaked. The first year I had it I didn’t realize how far out of tune it could get. Hit the ice and it just didn’t want to run...realized I was an idiot, dialed it in, and it ran like a champ.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:30 AM »
May even try a hotter plug. I old Z51 would start always on first or second pull. If I try priming it after it sat it would not start either. Don't even prime it before restarting,just put a little choke on it. If it still does the same thing try not even coking it.

AND NEVER USE ANYTHING LESS THAN NON_ETHANOL.
<===Lefty===

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:07 AM »
My eskimo had a fuel pick up line that deteriated. When it started it with smaller pin holes it had anamolies similar to yours but was probably fuel line above / below the holes with just enough air in combination with choke to act up.  Once the holes grew larger I was able to identify it as the failure was more pronounced. 

Offline Tipuptroll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Over priming is a super common mistake, like stated above you should only have to prime it to start the day off. Second I’d go to the plug, third clean your carb.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Long video but mark 5:57 gets to the nitty gritty

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.