Author Topic: Chapman Pond  (Read 2378 times)

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chapman Pond
« on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:35 PM »
As it is now accepted that the flood in 2012 really demolished the pike fishing in Chapman, does anyone have a confirmed report of a pike caught there recently last couple years by any means( open water or ice? I have ice fished there last 3 seasons with live Golden’s first ice and only landed bass and a couple pickerel

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chapman Pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:03 AM »
DEM started restocking pike 2 years ago. I caught what I believe to be a young pike thru the ice last season. I saw pictures of juvenile pike from the mass dem and it was a perfect match. They are in there, just hard to come by. Hopefully now that they are stocked we will see some bigger ones the next couple years.

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:11 AM »
http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/wriwin17.pdf

This is the link to the article with the information about the pike stocking program

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:14 PM »
http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/wriwin17.pdf

This is the link to the article with the information about the pike stocking program

Thanks! I must of missed that updated newsletter, hopefully next few years brings some positive results

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Shame what happened there. Was once a great spot. It's my understanding that pike in Rhode island  take some time to grow so it will be quite a while to get back to the way it was

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:45 AM »
The one I caught was probably 14-16” long. There is plenty of baitfish in that pond for them to be able to grow at a solid rate.

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I’ve been there a handful of times never any pike myself.. I remember one of my first seasons at wordens I thought I got a small pike because I never caught one before but it turned out to be a Redfin pickerel ... finally caught my first two pike at black stone river on back to back casts this summer at the black stone river... from the dock at that waiting for my friend to show up with his boat hahaha... hopefully jack winter sends us some love soon
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:27 AM »
I’m hoping we get some real cold soon. I wanna get out on some ice

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:20 AM »
15 lbs is the biggest I have personally seen heard of bigger I like the pond for catfish in the spring and always hoped the the sea run white perch would make tier way back they might now with the mods done to the fish ladder and may even see the herring move in  in the near future

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:32 AM »
15 lbs is the biggest I have personally seen heard of bigger I like the pond for catfish in the spring and always hoped the the sea run white perch would make tier way back they might now with the mods done to the fish ladder and may even see the herring move in  in the near future

Halfhooked, are you still talking about Chapman for the sea run white perch and herring? I never knew there was a connection to the ocean but you are correct with the Pawcatuck. That would be sweet.
Just add water.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:32 PM »

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:55 AM »
A few years back my buddy pulled up a 36” pike in Chapman’s. Next day another guy pulled up one at least 42”.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Thanks Halfhooked.
Just add water.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:45 PM »
A few years back my buddy pulled up a 36” pike in Chapman’s. Next day another guy pulled up one at least 42”.

Was that before or after the flood?

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I fished it a few weeks back and caught 4 Pike to 23 inches they are in there and they are getting bigger

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Sweet

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:17 AM »
  I fished Chapman a lot from 2003 till 2009 and the fishing was awesome but those days are gone now. I would get 3 Pike on average and a bunch of Big bass , huge White and Yellow Perch and Crappie each trip. Now we are lucky to get 2 to 3 flags a trip, very different lake indeed! If I want slow fishing I just go for Walleye now in CT. I hope things change soon because that was a go to spot for action.

Offline Sdinwoodie1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Was that before or after the flood?

This was in 2012.so after the flood. Flood was in 2010.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:18 AM »
its coming or mostly come back and I would not be surprised to see giant gold carp in there because of the flood of 2010

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.