Author Topic: Lake Louise report thread 2018/2019  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Graylingking17

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Louise report thread 2018/2019
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:53 PM »
(Has anyone ever fished beaver lake just north of Louise or dog lake)

was there any luck with burbot or lakers

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I headed to the lake this last weekend. Ice is 8 to 12 inches. All the overflow has froze over. Fishing was normal lost a hog. Forcast for some wind up there today.

Offline Graylingking17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:22 PM »
what was it like any big burbot or lakers

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:44 PM »
It blew really good last night and started drifting things up.  There are some large patches of slushee overflow on the north west side of Louise.  Other than that conditions were really good.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Check out this thread about fish farts on Lake Louise.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=364373.0

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Looks like there could be an influx of fisherman up there a month before break up.  pm me if you want info i dont really want to broadcast it on here.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:50 PM »
That’s ok they will probably all just fish in Larson bay like everyone else

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:19 PM »
So from what kwackkillcrew told me this could be devastating to the laker fishery on Louise.  I don’t want to say what’s going on because I don’t want to advertise what’s going on.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 AM »
While I’m not too excited about it personally, I believe they are releasing all fish caught. I think it’ll be similar to the SCO at Big lake.
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Lake Louise lodge has a petition going right now to ban all tournaments and derbies on the lake Louise drainage.  Please stop in and sign if your in the area.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:21 AM »
Well I finally made it up to the lake this winter.
The main goal was to Haul in a wood stove and some building materials to my dad's cabin.
That all went well so we found a little time to do some fishing.
The new jigs I made had great action to them.
Tried out my new rattle tubes, an underspin jig, one of the new freestyle jigs, and finally a flutter Laker taker spoon.
But the fishing was pretty slow.
Marked a lot of fish couldn't get them to bite.
Finally my dad did catch about a 2 lb sheefish on one of my rattle tube jigs and a glow tube.
Maybe all the fish I was marking weren't lake trout after all?
Oh well this was my first time ever Ice fishing  lake Louise and I had a lot of fun while I was up there.
We did manage to sign the petition to on our way out.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Thanks for your support on signing the petition.  I think what you were seeing on your sonar was whitefish, if they just hover around the bottom and don’t chase your bait then they are defiantly whitefish. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Thanks for your support on signing the petition.  I think what you were seeing on your sonar was whitefish, if they just hover around the bottom and don’t chase your bait then they are defiantly whitefish.
While I did Mark a few fish on the bottom most of them were between 6 and 10 feet up off the bottom.
I got a few of them to follow it up two or three times a couple of feet each time but couldn't get them to commit.
I did miss a couple of bites when I had my rod in a rod holder and was doing something else for a minute and didn't get to it in time.
this spot was a really good fishing spot last spring in open water so we thought we would give it a try just to see what was there.
I'll eventually be spending more time up there and we'll get this Lake figured out to where I can hopefully somewhat consistently  catch some Lakers and burbot.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:05 AM »
While I did Mark a few fish on the bottom most of them were between 6 and 10 feet up off the bottom.
I got a few of them to follow it up two or three times a couple of feet each time but couldn't get them to commit.
I did miss a couple of bites when I had my rod in a rod holder and was doing something else for a minute and didn't get to it in time.
this spot was a really good fishing spot last spring in open water so we thought we would give it a try just to see what was there.
I'll eventually be spending more time up there and we'll get this Lake figured out to where I can hopefully somewhat consistently  catch some Lakers and burbot.

What kind of bait were you using?  The right bait can make a big difference.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:11 PM »
What kind of bait were you using?  The right bait can make a big difference.
My new rattle tube jigs with white tubes.
My dad was fishing with one with a glow tube.
Good circular swimming action on those for sure.
I also tried a herring head underspin with a grub tail, a freestyle jig with a grub tail, and a flutter Laker taker spoon.
We did try tipping with a tail from some troll herring to no avail on the Lakers though.
But since this was my second time fishing this lake and the first through the ice I'm not really disappointed.
Besides the real goals were accomplished by getting the wood stove and building supplies delivered.
Looking back on it it does make sense that the fish I was marking were not Lakers.
But I'm sure you all know how it goes when you're marking fish and can't get them to bite your sometimes hesitant to move from those fish when really that's what you should be doing.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:37 PM »
once you fish those lakes a few more times you will easily be able to tell what type of fish your seeing on your flasher depending on how they react to your jigs.  Like people said February can be tough. We had a spear hole cut on one of the lakes up there and right before dark we had either the same lake or multiple lakers come through that were low to mid 30 inchers. They came in slow and would just touch our jigs with its lips. we threw every jig we had at them and even just free floated whitefish/hooligan on a bare hook and they wanted nothing to do with it other then to check it out.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:29 PM »
My new rattle tube jigs with white tubes.
My dad was fishing with one with a glow tube.
Good circular swimming action on those for sure.
I also tried a herring head underspin with a grub tail, a freestyle jig with a grub tail, and a flutter Laker taker spoon.
We did try tipping with a tail from some troll herring to no avail on the Lakers though.
But since this was my second time fishing this lake and the first through the ice I'm not really disappointed.
Besides the real goals were accomplished by getting the wood stove and building supplies delivered.
Looking back on it it does make sense that the fish I was marking were not Lakers.
But I'm sure you all know how it goes when you're marking fish and can't get them to bite your sometimes hesitant to move from those fish when really that's what you should be doing.

I'm not as experienced as Akhardwater or Kwakillinkrew when it comes to catching the big lakers, but I know from my own personal experience, that I've never even caught a laker using a fishing pole while using herring or hooligan for bait.  I've caught them on my tip-ups accidentally, when fishing for burbot, but never while jigging for them when I'm using herring or hooligan for bait.  Personally, whitefish seems to be the only thing that consistently produces lake trout through the ice for me.  I'm sure others will disagree with me on this, but that has been my own personal experience.  Burbot will eat just about anything you throw at them.  But lakers can be very fussy through the ice. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:34 PM »
I'm not as experienced as Akhardwater or Kwakillinkrew when it comes to catching the big lakers, but I know from my own personal experience, that I've never even caught a laker using a fishing pole while using herring or hooligan for bait.  I've caught them on my tip-ups accidentally, when fishing for burbot, but never while jigging for them when I'm using herring or hooligan for bait.  Personally, whitefish seems to be the only thing that consistently produces lake trout through the ice for me.  I'm sure others will disagree with me on this, but that has been my own personal experience.  Burbot will eat just about anything you throw at them.  But lakers can be very fussy through the ice.
Well  my friends and I have caught them through the ice using herring and hooligan here on the peninsula.
I've heard whitefish is the best bait but I know the others do work
Besides it's not like I can buy whitefish at the local bait shop.lol
I'll get them figured out eventually and catch a few through the ice.
KasilofChrisN

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:33 PM »
I've purchased whitefish in the past from Sportsmans warehouse. You gotta keep an eye out for it. Best bet is to harvest a few in the fall and freeze them whole for winter bait use.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Mother nature put the Kabash on the tournament.  It has been officially cancelled. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Mother nature put the Kabash on the tournament.  It has been officially cancelled.

Ding dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.