The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Dam Theives  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dam Theives
« on: Oct 27, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Last Year I had someone steal my bait traps, Rope and Name tags, so I reported it to our local Warden. I did not want my name showing up at someones private pond and them thinking it was me.

This year I put traps back in the same place and was doing OK, but not Great. One afternoon I went to pull them and when I pulled the trap out only half of it was there and the other trap only had 6 fish in it.

The next day I got my fishing pole and snagging hook and tried for an hour and came up empty, but I checked the other trap and it had around 3 dozen in it and I should have brought a pail with me but didn't think of that at the time, so we came back later that day and it only had 4 fish in it.  :%$#!:  We had been thinking someone was stealing our Bait in between pulls and it looks like we were right. We had a magnet with us this time and tossed it in a few times and found our missing half.

We decided to pull them daily now, vs letting them soak a few days and low and be hold we had 30 dozen between the 2 traps, the next night we got 37 dozen and then 17 dozen the next night. Here is a little trick I did to help stop these Scumbags, I wire-tied the trap closed and then I used different colors ties each day to change it up and some had serial numbers on them. I went to pull the traps again and one trap had 6 fish and no food and the other trap had 60 fish loaded with food, but what I noticed was the end of the trap was widened out and I am thinking the shook out the Bait thru the inlet hole. I had now pulled my traps as we have enough bait, I was just hoping I could catch them. There is no real place to put a camera, but I will be working on that for next year.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dam Theives
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2018, 07:36 PM »
It’s irritating to know that some scum feel like they’re entitled to another persons stuff. They have no respect for people or property, and finally for themselves. I hope they experience things like this for themselves. Karma?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I don't get it. They know that it's a good spot. why don't they just toss a trap in like you did?

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Leftist democrats who don't think you should be interfering with minnows rights.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Time for a game cam...

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Time for a game cam...
Wish I could have, No real spot to hide one, but I am working on that for next year

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2018, 04:18 PM »
I don't get it. They know that it's a good spot. why don't they just toss a trap in like you did?
Yea I know, but that would require WORK on their part. Its most likely the same scumbags that stole my 2 traps last year.

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Maybe it’s a turtle 🐢🤷‍♂️

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Naw , it's a scumbag . I placed a trap 50 feet off the road in a stream and all was well . I tried a second spot up the road a bit and tied the rope off to the bridge guard rail . Never any fish or food in the trap after 4 tries . I believe the local utility workers at the stock yard  ( 100 yards away ) saw what I was doing and stole the fish or dumped the bait . I moved back to the old spot and all was well again .

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Jerks.  To bad you could not electrify the trap with a electric fence charger.      Now that would be funny

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Put a note inside a ziplock bag that says smile for the camera.
Just add water.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Or tell them they are being watched through a rifle scope

Offline tonyjackson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Put a note inside a ziplock bag that says smile for the camera.

I've heard stories about people doing exactly this and it has worked like a charm.

Also, if you put up a game camera, you'd probably have that stolen too.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Use heavy mono  for line hide stake on shore.  Put trap in just before dark and pull early morn.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2018, 08:29 AM »
throw the trap out with no rope. retrieve it with a long pole and hook

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:39 PM »
How about having a line about 15 or 20 ft, and throwing out the trap, then put a weight
on the retrieval end, and sink the line near shore, where it cannot be seen.  Then just
use a gaff and recover the line and trap when you return for the bait.  I had a real nice
trap years back, and some prick stole it, and put his in where mine was.  I made it too
easy for him to see my line.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Game camera all the way

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Game camera all the way
Unfortunately its to open and no place to hide one, (YET). Next year a different story.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I’m thinking a big bear trap! One an done. Just kidding. Hope you get it figured out. Frustrating when you work so hard and someone thinks they are intiteled to the fruits of your labor. I like the game camera idea could it be put on a post facing shore  far enough out of reach? Get one of those old 35mm ones and put batteries in it so it flashes. Bet after they see that will not want to mess with your trap ;D ;D

Offline qcbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Unfortunately its to open and no place to hide one, (YET). Next year a different story.

You planted a tree?  ;D

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:35 PM »
You planted a tree?  ;D
Nope, some things hide better in plain site you just have to make them blend in to whats already there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.