Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 2421 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice cleats
« on: Aug 21, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I need to buy a new pair this year and curious what everyone is using.  I am looking at the STABILicers, but wanted to get other opinions before dropping $55.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes.best spikes out there.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2018, 04:40 PM »

X2 on micros , easy on and off , my pair are now I believe 9 years old

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes.best spikes out there.

+1

I don’t go on the ice without my Kahtoola Microspikes. Look around online, someone usually has them for around $55.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I have 4 pairs of ht sure grip ice cleats for me and my self and I and just encase a buddy don't have his I got the forth pair.. I have been useing these for ten year with no problems yet..  even when fishing on ice covered pavement they work great..for the price even if you dull them $10 more gets you another pair.. walking on cement.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/416557-hi-tech-fishing-sure-grip-ice-tread.html?feedsource=3&gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrTh-skhFN4A4t1ZjYIhlym5pIL3HesNrqWpJd938UAzC39aMnQO4Je5BoCRmEQAvD_BwE

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:11 PM »
I bought kahtoola micro spikes for last season. By far the best I ever had. There's a reason why a lot of people suggest these. Worth the money.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Kahtoola ...nuff said

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I don’t own them, but based on my research I’d say kahtoolas. I’ve been looking for a good deal all summer on an XL pair, we will see!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:16 PM »
had stabilicer's on predator extremes, replaced them with kathoola's what a difference in traction

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:56 PM »
The Stabilicer MAX are good ones. Must be the MAX.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Sportsmen Direct ice hopper creepers, almost identical to the kathoolas, just have a light blue silicone instead of red
"Balance in all things"

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Kahtoola's here too, based on the advice from members on this site.  They are great, and they supposedly have outstanding customer service, but I haven't needed to use it yet after a couple seasons.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:45 PM »
I like the HT Omni Tech Super Stud Sandal Cleats, they work very well for me, no sore feet at the end of the day, and they're a good bit cheaper than $55.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2018, 04:21 AM »
#10 self-tapping screws in the bottom of my Icemans. Just a dab of silicone adhesive on the threads. Have not had a slip and fall or any leaks in over 20yrs. Couple of bucks for a package of them.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05:28 AM »
kahtoolas are pretty pricy but they are a great cleat. Better than putting screws in your boots and then not being able to use your boots for anything but ice fishing. It works but having a dedicated pair of heavy duty boots was a bit hard to accept for me. I've tried it, didn't work for me. I couldn't see spending the money for kahtoolas either so I did a search on line for ice cleats and went through what I found for reviews and descriptions. Got a set of cleats that are pretty much the same as the kahtoolas but at half the price. 19 tooth, Stainless, welded links, heavy rubber. I put them through the test last year and they performed perfectly.

If you like the best and can appreciate name brands, go with the kahtoolas. Or you can do your homework and get set of off brand and maybe save a few bucks but the thing is, that kind of cleat is about the best.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:23 AM »
kold kutters ice racing screws in 3/8". they run 20$ for 250 screws and i use 30 per boot (.08$ per screw is 4.80$ per pair of boots) and customize the traction to conform to the boot tread. that's enough for 4 pairs of boots with spares. amazon has them.

i couldn't stand the micro spikes or the knock offs and can't wear them in many places such as my shappell dx300 as they would destroy the floor. super uncomfortable also with the high pressure points made to the heels. and they pack with snow and make you slip once packed and feel like your walking on giant snow balls. any thing can pack with now, but the chains with plates are begging for it to happen.

the screws are great for off lakes also for every day use. i fell shoveling snow one year and damaged an elbow and knew i had to find some thing that would allow me to have slip protection on and off the ice. it's amazing to me how fast we free fall. the screws offer all day comfort that can be worn every where i go, including driving.
 i can't imagine people only have one pair of boots, so you could try them and if you don't like them remove them. no risk and tiny cost to find out if they are for you. i have them on all of my boots including micky's, sorel and cabelas.

my micro spikes cost 60 bucks plus shipping and they wanted me to spend another 10 bucks for a carry bag lol. ebay has the same thing with carry bag for under 20 bucks if you like a system that dry rots or easily cuts from augers and heat or snaps apart and is temporary and has been known to ruin boots at their seams. i have 3 pairs of the things and never use them. i do offer them to those who want to fish with me that have nothing, but i am glad i don't have to wear them anymore.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:09 AM »
#10 self-tapping screws in the bottom of my Icemans. Just a dab of silicone adhesive on the threads. Have not had a slip and fall or any leaks in over 20yrs. Couple of bucks for a package of them.

Sheet metal screws??  got those in my wading boots.. did not even think of doing that till now.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:24 AM »
As it has been stated before, Kahtoola micro spikes. They are worth their weight in gold. Only spikes that I have found that I feel 100% comfortable RUNNING on glare ice and and they don't make you lean forward or backwards like many other spikes do to componsate your weight/center of balance. I am going on 5 years with mine and to boot I have heard their CS department is dynamite if you were to ever have an issue.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Sorry to hear 3300 you had such a bad time with the micros , I found them to be comfortable , easy on and off , , and I walk with a normal gate , last year I bought a a pair of trans Alaskans and I’m going to try the racing screws in them ,
 Just goes to show You it’s good to have options , the micros will be used on my lacrosse feather lights
I gave away all my HT sure grip cleats as I made a mistake many years ago and leaned back on my heals and I slipped and smacked my cranium , 😜

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Another fan of the Kahtoolas. I leave mine on the boots permanently, the pair I'm using right now have four seasons (I think) on them. The boots with micro spikes attached live in the basement during the summer, I have not had dry rot problems. The only product failures I've had were the result of putting my feet too close to the Buddy heater, the rubber gets soft allowing the chain to pull through the small loops near the toe. I have taken a couple of flippers when drilling holes, a large ice chip can get stuck on the spikes and the next step is a head-cracker. They are loud on glare ice, sounds like Clint Eastwood entering a saloon in a spaghetti western. Having tried most of the other types, as well as screws in the soles of the boots, I'm sticking with the micro spikes.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Many of us use the Eagle Claw ones. About $20. On my 4th season. Love them.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I've had a hard time finding ones that will fit over Muck Arctic Ice's in a 13 - packages say they will... but they don't.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Walpy, my Kahtoolas go over my size 15 Mucks.   I had screws in my old, pre muck boots, and they worked awesome, but couldn't bring myself to put screws in my new boots!!!  Plus I do use them for some other things where the screws wouldn't be needed.......

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Personally I like the YakTrax more than the micro spikes.  I had something similar to the kahtoolas, not sure if it was the exact brand, but over time if you walk on pavement the metal will fold and break and you are left with a flat plastic piece in the front or back.  The ones below have great traction, fit over most boots and dont flatten out over time.  I'm sure they may round overtime but at least you will have something metal catching the ice versus a slick plastic/metal surface.  They are on sale for under $40 too.

https://www.backcountry.com/yaktrax-streamtrekkers-crampon?CMP_SKU=YTX000B&MER=0406&skid=YTX000B-BK-L&mr:trackingCode=0DABB7D5-515B-E611-80F6-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=ec7fba9b-2790-4023-9e93-7e7a77160965&rmatt=tsid:1042790|cid:213417517|agid:13362830437|tid:aud-112578408019:pla-466254393096|crid:92885919877|nw:g|rnd:14682572826572662896|dvc:c|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9060614&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOZuAB6zMfYHFebjPy2tC0E64RnXasMBYjqZRo6-tOTvPgGDbkVqBZkaAkBHEALw_wcB
westernmas on the finder

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Kahtoola Micro Spikes are all I will use.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:55 PM »
This is a picture of the bottom of my baffin boots. Only used for icefishing. HT is ok but i walk on my heels and they dont cover them and fall off from time to time.
So i screwed the HT's to the boots and screwed the heels..  No problems.... ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 22, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Aren't you afraid the screws will go in too far and make the boots leaky? I have Baffin Titans but have been reluctant to do that.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Aug 22, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Aren't you afraid the screws will go in too far and make the boots leaky? I have Baffin Titans but have been reluctant to do that.

1/4" hex screws.  Been on there for 10 years.  Yeah i have had to replace a couple but i put silicone on them when i put them in. Helps hold them. And i walk icefishing..
Put your boots on when you get there take them off when you leave.
I do the same with my mucks and there not screwed...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.