Author Topic: Are higher end rods worth it?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are higher end rods worth it?
« on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I started using the HT blue noodle rods which for 10 bucks are awesome rods. Thought about getting a Thorne Bro. rod or some other rod are they worth the money? I use $80 rods for summer fishing which are good but will a hundred dollar ice rod really be worth it? Looking for panfish options.

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Are higher end rods worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I don't think so.  I have two new rods (2017 season) that are great. I have four rods that were hand made 18+ years ago that are just as good.  The only difference is that now a new rod is priced pretty affordable so (starting last year) Im beginning to upgrade all my gear - last year I also retired 6 Cardinal #4 reels for modern Shamano. I also just tossed my Korean war area parka / bibs and got myself some ice armor parka and striker ice bibs. F*%#IsoundOld
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I think so.  Now I build my own rods so I am not spending $100+ on a rod, but I can build exactly what I want and how I want it to look.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:05 PM »
For a better but cheap noodle rod like the ice blue try the beaver dam glass noodle,  I think their around $20. Soft tip like the ht but more backbone. Are the "custom" rods worth $100+ IMO no but they do fish better than the $10-$20 dollar ones

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:46 PM »
In my opinion, if you can afford it and it makes fishing more enjoyable for you, then absolutely. I own three Tined Up Custom Rods and love all of them. 2 Precision Noodle’s and a Bullwhip (all 30”).I have about $450 total invested into those rods (with the reels) and I fish them hard. Fantastic rods for any panfish scenario (including roaming bass and pike). However, I can accomplish the same exact thing with a $20 combo or a a much cheaper schooley setup. But that doesn’t excite me. It’s what I grew up fishing with (I’m 30) and I really enjoy my gear. I can afford a few higher-end small items like these now so I do. It’s made my time on the ice (what little we have these days) an absolute joy. Something like this is something that you have to decide for yourself if you’re going to get your moneys worth out of it. For me, it’s a big yes. For others, I know, not so much.

I use to use spring bobbers and I love what they do but I hate having them on my rod. It’s just one more thing that gets on my way. I know cheap ice blues have a pretty sensitive tip, but like I said, that doesn’t excite me. I guess you could equate it to other equipment we as ice anglers buy. Is a $1000 flip shelter worth it when a $200 hub works just fine too? Or, a $650 float suit worth it when your hunting bibs, coat, and a life jacket does the same thing? I understand those examples take in much more than just an ice rod but the money is still the same.

Another thing that buying custom rods has brought me is the desire to start building my own and once you start doing that, one could produce a custom quality rod for significantly cheaper than buying one. And it’s a super fun process.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:59 PM »
In my opinion, if you can afford it and it makes fishing more enjoyable for you, then absolutely. I own three Tined Up Custom Rods and love all of them. 2 Precision Noodle’s and a Bullwhip (all 30”).I have about $450 total invested into those rods (with the reels) and I fish them hard. Fantastic rods for any panfish scenario (including roaming bass and pike). However, I can accomplish the same exact thing with a $20 combo or a a much cheaper schooley setup. But that doesn’t excite me. It’s what I grew up fishing with (I’m 30) and I really enjoy my gear. I can afford a few higher-end small items like these now so I do. It’s made my time on the ice (what little we have these days) an absolute joy. Something like this is something that you have to decide for yourself if you’re going to get your moneys worth out of it. For me, it’s a big yes. For others, I know, not so much.

I use to use spring bobbers and I love what they do but I hate having them on my rod. It’s just one more thing that gets on my way. I know cheap ice blues have a pretty sensitive tip, but like I said, that doesn’t excite me. I guess you could equate it to other equipment we as ice anglers buy. Is a $1000 flip shelter worth it when a $200 hub works just fine too? Or, a $650 float suit worth it when your hunting bibs, coat, and a life jacket does the same thing? I understand those examples take in much more than just an ice rod but the money is still the same.

Another thing that buying custom rods has brought me is the desire to start building my own and once you start doing that, one could produce a custom quality rod for significantly cheaper than buying one. And it’s a super fun process.

Are you using the spring bobbers on your noodles?  Is so, which one?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2018, 02:13 PM »
for open water absolutely, I buy high quality rod and reels. For ice fishing I buy cheap. casting is a non factor in ice fishing. Dont get me wrong i spend a lot of money on ice fishing I just dont buy high end ice fishing rod and reels.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2018, 02:27 PM »
The idea of a noodle rod is to not have to deal with spring bobbers

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I don't think so. Most of my rods are $30 - $40. Not necessarily cheap but not expensive. Most of them have spring bobbers so sensitivity isn't as important to me. I don't think I would drop $80 or $100 on a custom ice rod, but then again I drop that much for open water rods and if they get used just as much what's the difference. 

I would only go buy one if you are looking for something very particular.  Otherwise just get a Frabill or Clam rod and call it good.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Do you like the finer things in life?  I do, so I build my own.....best of both worlds....great rods, built just for the task at hand, plus it feels great catching on something you've built.  Im not saying you have to go drop a benny on an ice rod, but there are some that are a bit better than the ice blues....no offense, I've used them.  But having a nice lightweight, stiff back bone, fast tipped noodle rod in your hands just feels right when fishing for those big perch and gills.  Give up a Starbucks coffee or two each week and splurge......

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2018, 05:03 PM »
As long as it has the stiffness and/or flexibility in the tip I am looking for, then $15-20 is good for me. I am more about a high-quality strike indicator. I am willing to spend up to $10 for one. This, for me, can be the big difference in a miss or a hit.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:01 PM »
I have  TB power noodle and a quiver stick with recoil guides but mainly use cheaper rods.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:19 PM »
I think so.  Now I build my own rods so I am not spending $100+ on a rod, but I can build exactly what I want and how I want it to look.

If you put your $/hour wage at 8 cents per hour ($00.08)  building your own rod looks good. You invest real money for blanks, cork or other handle material, guides, winding thread, finish epoxy,  (we almost forgot a nice rod winding set-up and a dryer / rotating tool). As soon as your done the colors are bubbly and not happy, the action is wrong and it's the wrong length. New stuff will be here when UPS shows up.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Not in my opinion. The expensive ones go down the hole just as nicely as the cheap ones.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:44 PM »
I did get a Meatstick a season or two ago and use mostly that now, but I started with and still use ugly stick combos. I don’t have any issues using the light and medium rods for perch and trout. As mentioned, a spring bobber is a cheap fix for any rods sensitivity, then you can have some backbone if needed.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Like most things to each his own.  I have a couple and I enjoy them but I fish with a lot of the $15 rigs and the spendy ones don't put more fish on the ice for me.  If they get damaged or lost down the hole it can sting a little. 

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:03 PM »
how is it guys still walk away from a rod sitting on a bucket/chair/ice, that a big fish could drag it down the hole....throw something over it!!!  2 years ago I watched a guy set a rod in a chair and walk away to  check tip ups....and sure enough...'oh man, that was my custom rod...'.....not to hijack, but any rod $10 or $100 should be secured down so as not to take that ride down the hole...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I started using the HT blue noodle rods which for 10 bucks are awesome rods. Thought about getting a Thorne Bro. rod or some other rod are they worth the money? I use $80 rods for summer fishing which are good but will a hundred dollar ice rod really be worth it? Looking for panfish options.

I bought a Thorne brother perch sweetheart. I am not impressed with it one bit. I dropped about $80 on it. It's about a $20-$25 Rod IMO. Seen plenty of custom rods and they are good rods but over priced IMO.

The only custom Rod builder that has really impressed me is Adam Bricker with Bricker custom rods. Not only are his rods works of art, but are very high quality in every way. I've got 5 rods from him. One perch Rod, two micro liner rods (Micro liner rods can change out blanks, and the but end of the split handle comes out for a hook removing pick for panfish) & two walleye rods. I Called to get a 6th made, but haven't heard back. I'm guessing if a guy ordered today you might just might get one by Christmas or new year.

Here is pics of my tiger wrap micro liner Rod.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:44 PM »
I use $80 rods for summer fishing which are good but will a hundred dollar ice rod really be worth it? Looking for panfish options.

I think most of us find a sweet spot where the performance we want meets the $ we are willing to spend.  Very subjective and individual. Replacement value at retail for each of my rod/reel setups would be $110 plus line, x 5 for me and x 5 for my wife, plus secure rod holders.  Can't say that it is worth it for anyone else but us.

So find your sweet spot.  Note that there are times when somebody thinks they have "good enough" until they try something nice and their eyes are opened.

It also depends on what you are chasing.  I depend on rod action and drag performance for large trout, and you may not need or want all that for pan fish.

Not in my opinion. The expensive ones go down the hole just as nicely as the cheap ones.

Ouch!

how is it guys still walk away from a rod sitting on a bucket/chair/ice, that a big fish could drag it down the hole....throw something over it!!!  2 years ago I watched a guy set a rod in a chair and walk away to  check tip ups....and sure enough...'oh man, that was my custom rod...'.....not to hijack, but any rod $10 or $100 should be secured down so as not to take that ride down the hole...

x a zillion!

I secure my rods.  But I have buddies and have observed many others who lay the rod down on the ice or prop it up against something.  I've seen many rods lost, but I have lost zero in about a half century of fishing.  I'm kinda anal and I even use rod leashes on my pole holders in the boat.   I can't expect everyone to be the same way.  If we were all like me we'd drive each other crazy!

It is hard to understand why someone wouldn't secure their setups, but hey, that's their deal.  It's just so painful for some of us to watch.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:59 PM »
If you put your $/hour wage at 8 cents per hour ($00.08)  building your own rod looks good. You invest real money for blanks, cork or other handle material, guides, winding thread, finish epoxy,  (we almost forgot a nice rod winding set-up and a dryer / rotating tool). As soon as your done the colors are bubbly and not happy, the action is wrong and it's the wrong length. New stuff will be here when UPS shows up.
Yikes. Sounds like you had a bad experience trying to build rods yourself?? I have not had all those issues after some practice. All good things come with practice. Have now built many rods and have the exact opposite issues you mention. My equipment has paid for itself about 50x compared to spending 100 a rod or more.  I will keep enjoying building rods for myself and buddies and enjoy it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:24 PM »

If you like the HT blue noodle rods, check out the MHX power noodle blank. It's got a tip kinda like the HT blue noodle rods, but it is an Xtra Fast tip so it has a little more back bone to set the hook. I built one in a kit from mudhole with the Eva foam nub handle. Love the rod, just wish I put better guides on the Rod vs the ones that came in the kit. I might cut them off and put better ones on.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2018, 04:11 AM »
Are you using the spring bobbers on your noodles?  Is so, which one?

Absolutely not. One of the main reasons I went to custom rods was to get rid of spring bobbers and I haven’t looked back.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Absolutely not. One of the main reasons I went to custom rods was to get rid of spring bobbers and I haven’t looked back.
You should try cutting the last 2in off a noodle rod and add an actual spring. This idea has been out for awhile and i copied DH Customs setup and its by far my favorite rod. The spring i used was a Frabil. The idea behind this is the spring is slightly more sensitive than even the "noodlyist" of noodles and you still get the nice hook set that depending on which blank you use. Lethal setup. I used a DH Al Dente for this build and love it.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:17 AM »
That was what I was thinking to do, but it is going to be very difficult for me to cut off 2" from the tip rather than the butt.  I am ordering a half dozen noodle blanks from BassKhang, so am definitely going to build one with a spring bobber end.  I thought I remember a member talking about a good one not too long ago....

Sorry if this hyjaxs the thread....

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Yikes. Sounds like you had a bad experience trying to build rods yourself?? I have not had all those issues after some practice. All good things come with practice. Have now built many rods and have the exact opposite issues you mention. My equipment has paid for itself about 50x compared to spending 100 a rod or more.  I will keep enjoying building rods for myself and buddies and enjoy it.

No I haven't but looking at the supplies I could see it all happening. I changed guides on a couple of 12ft rods and still had a rotating dryer from arrow building days 50 years ago.
Personally I do have a couple of high-end rods and I don't think I could build either for the $ they cost, putting a fair $/hour price on the time spent ordering and buying parts and doing the work. I have also had a local rodsmith rework 2 different rods to my own desires and they turned out better than I imagined. Decent spinning rods into casting rods with spiral guides. Strange that Rapala offers many casting rods for ice fishing but only in Canada.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:05 PM »
You should try cutting the last 2in off a noodle rod and add an actual spring. This idea has been out for awhile and i copied DH Customs setup and its by far my favorite rod. The spring i used was a Frabil. The idea behind this is the spring is slightly more sensitive than even the "noodlyist" of noodles and you still get the nice hook set that depending on which blank you use. Lethal setup. I used a DH Al Dente for this build and love it.

That would be a massive no lol. I’ve spent the last 25 years ice fishing and have gotten to this point from extensive trial and error. With my TUCR noodles, there is zero need for any spring bobber on any rod. That’s why I got them and they work gangbusters. Now that I can build my own rods, I can sand down the tip taper to any diameter or length that will rival even the best spring bobbers (I know, big claims lol). TUCRs (and my own builds) have a very stout backbone. The tip only “noodles” for about the first 5 inches.  These are “noodle tip” rods, not necessarily “noodle” rods. More of a spring bobber rod without the spring. Which is what I am going for. Not to mention, if the fish are really being that tight lipped, I’m drilling more holes anyways. That just seems like a waste of time to me knowing that if I move I can find more fish willing to commit to the bite. The tips on these rods detect the smallest bites it’s almost like cheating.

I use Sportsmen Direct extreme taper fiberglass blanks. Great blanks to work on and they are very affordable. They sand down great too.

Also, if I’m going to go through the trouble of trimming the tip and adding a spring, I’d jjust use my medium Ugly Stik ice and put an HT spring on it. However, that’s just not what I’m going for. Hence, super awesome custom noodle rods lol.

(Sorry if I came across as a Richard. I’m just very particular in what i like and what works for me)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:33 PM »
That would be a massive no lol. I’ve spent the last 25 years ice fishing and have gotten to this point from extensive trial and error. With my TUCR noodles, there is zero need for any spring bobber on any rod. That’s why I got them and they work gangbusters. Now that I can build my own rods, I can sand down the tip taper to any diameter or length that will rival even the best spring bobbers (I know, big claims lol). TUCRs (and my own builds) have a very stout backbone. The tip only “noodles” for about the first 5 inches.  These are “noodle tip” rods, not necessarily “noodle” rods. More of a spring bobber rod without the spring. Which is what I am going for. Not to mention, if the fish are really being that tight lipped, I’m drilling more holes anyways. That just seems like a waste of time to me knowing that if I move I can find more fish willing to commit to the bite. The tips on these rods detect the smallest bites it’s almost like cheating.

I use Sportsmen Direct extreme taper fiberglass blanks. Great blanks to work on and they are very affordable. They sand down great too.

Also, if I’m going to go through the trouble of trimming the tip and adding a spring, I’d jjust use my medium Ugly Stik ice and put an HT spring on it. However, that’s just not what I’m going for. Hence, super awesome custom noodle rods lol.

(Sorry if I came across as a Richard. I’m just very particular in what i like and what works for me)

To each their own man. That's why this forum is great to learn all kinds of other ideas. One thing I have learned is as sensitive as a noodle tipped rod is you are still missing bites if you have to go down to say a 2mm or 2.5mm jig. I'm not trying to argue, just saying that some people have never used a spring and just assume that a noodle rod picks up every bite which is not the case in some circumstances. Again, we all have our opinions and ideas which is great. The reason i like the spring on that DH noodle is mostly for crappie as it has a slightly more gradual hook set compared to just throwing a spring on a medium carbon rod which might lead to a too harsh of hook set on crappie. Just throwing out some ideas.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05:16 PM »

:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty much in the same boat

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:06 PM »
No I haven't but looking at the supplies I could see it all happening. I changed guides on a couple of 12ft rods and still had a rotating dryer from arrow building days 50 years ago.
Personally I do have a couple of high-end rods and I don't think I could build either for the $ they cost, putting a fair $/hour price on the time spent ordering and buying parts and doing the work. I have also had a local rodsmith rework 2 different rods to my own desires and they turned out better than I imagined. Decent spinning rods into casting rods with spiral guides. Strange that Rapala offers many casting rods for ice fishing but only in Canada.

like anything it is how you want to figure it. To me Rod building is a relaxing hobby that takes my mind off of work and the crap people worry about. So I wouldn't factor in my time. I feel that I can build a Rod with a higher quality blank in it for less when I build a Rod. If your just talking an everyday box store type of Rod......then no your not saving money. Maybe I'm weird, but I like to build my Rod, make my lure and catch fish knowing that I made the stuff.

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2018, 03:45 AM »

For noodle type rods for panfishing , nope.

For any other reasons or purposes...yes as long as you know you want it to.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.