Author Topic: Simple Cooking Grill for Big Buddy Heater  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Simple Cooking Grill for Big Buddy Heater
« on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Final Product

Made of 3 pieces:

1. Large Vegetable Basket from Ace Hardware.  Weber has the identical basket.

2. 5/8 inch aluminum tube from Ace
3. 1/2 inch aluminum angle from Ace
4. 2 each of 8/32 half inch bolts with lock washers and nuts

First, I cut a small wire from the center of the Big Buddy so I could slide the slotted tube down over the center wire on the front of the cage. I cut the slots with a hack saw, but a table saw with carbide blade would work great cutting the slots in the the aluminum if you mounted it next to a board to center it and hold it straight.

I bent the back edge of of the Vegetable Basket underneath itself so that it could slide over the top wire of the Big Buddy cage and support the back of the grill. I cut 2 slots in the angle iron. I then bolted the angle iron underneath the vegetable basket to give it more rigidity and used the two slots I had cut into it to lock it into the top of the slotted tube. This also prevents the grill from sliding off the Big Buddy cage, locking it into the folded edge.

The whole project was simple and is easy to set up/take down - and is very stable.

Final Product

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Simple Cooking Grill for Big Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:09 PM »
That's very cool! I did something similar with my portable buddy heater and a cage style veggie basket I had. I hooked mine to the handle with coat hanger wire, but your idea is better and stable.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Also, because I am using a 20# tank and not the 1lb cylinders, am can use the 2 internal storage compartments for cooking gear. I got a 4.1 inch titanium pot that stores a liter of water with a sealed lid and then can be used as a pot on the grill to heat the water.

This fits perfectly into the compartment.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3OWV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the other one I can fit 2 titanium cups, spoons, etc. The idea is to load the pot with water and freeze-dried soup or stuff and then to heat it up and eat it with the cups when fishing

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I would very much like to do the same thing,my problem is grease dripping all over my heater face.Ive been using camp fire forks with tinfoil on the floor to catch drippings shanty has wood floor, I dont want to smell vienna beef every time i open the shanty I like what you made it looks slick I just need to modify that with a drip tray Nice Job!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Just use a fry pan. It holds the drips.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:22 PM »
That’s awesome thanks for sharing heading to ace tomorrow.🍻

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:26 AM »
Here it is with the cooking gear inside.

This pot has a silicone o-ring and seals tight for transport with a liter of liquid/chili/stew. The top unscrews and turns over for a lid. I put water in and add a dried soup or ramen before I leave and it works great.

The two cups (and spoons) fit on the other side.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Very interestin ideas you guys come up with..nice job

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Great set up and storage.  $

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Watch out for melting the handle !

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Not for me:

I can eat (overeat) later on at the corner bar

It would take away from my fishing

It would yuck up my baby! (Mr Buddy)

But it is very creative, I applaud the creativity!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:53 AM »
I don't fry stuff directly on the grill.  I mostly use it for heating water/soup, etc. With tinfoil down, however, you can grill hotdogs without gumming things up. Just throw away the foil. The lips on the edges do a good job of keeping things centered and prevent leaking.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I don't fry stuff directly on the grill.  I mostly use it for heating water/soup, etc. With tinfoil down, however, you can grill hotdogs without gumming things up. Just throw away the foil. The lips on the edges do a good job of keeping things centered and prevent leaking.

Right, that's how I use my portable buddy heater. I use the little throw away tin foil meatloaf size pans.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I'm not taking any position on the issue of modifying or accessorizing your Mr. Buddy Heaters, but just so everyone knows right up front, it immediately voids the warranty and Mr. Heater strongly discourages it as follows in the warning below.   

https://www.mrheater.com/index.php/downloads/dl/file/id/197/buddy_third_party_warning.pdf

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:30 PM »
But who cares about the warranty when you are getting heat and a hot meal. There only a $100- bucks for me that’s cheap for creature comfort. Common sense says be careful. I made this same design he is spot on don’t cook a turkey just some soup or brats. Made coffee works great.low and slow.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:25 AM »

Or those disposable foil pans. About $20 for a 30 pack from Amazon.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:31 AM »
what the heck!!!  i tossed on a couple chicken quarters and went off jigging.  i smelled the chicken cooking and looked back to see my shanty engulfed in flames.  :o  lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:02 AM »
The heater is only $100.  The HOSE that you need to connect it directly to the #20 propane is $50.

Go figure. It is easy to see where they make their margins. They might claim that there is a regulator on the hose, but the heater has 2 regulators inside. Oh well...

The chicken story underscores the dangers of grease in contact with flames/heat.  Same thing could happen with a camp stove left unattended.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Modified heaters and camp stoves are not intended to be used as heat and grease enough to deep fry in...especially in enclosed places.  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Gunflint, I think your idea and modification is a great idea to get a heater and a cook stove all in one.  I am going to make one in the off season.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Gunflint, you ought to patent your design.  Smitty showed us his Smitty Sled years ago and so many guys encouraged him to patent his design.  I do not know if he did patent it but he does have someone making the Smitty Kits for sale.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:04 AM »
I agree with Snitch and did the same thing.  This paint roller cover was $5 at Home depot!

See reply #199 here:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.180

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:42 PM »
So you all had the biddy heater and built a cooking mod. I got a buddy heater cooker ifnI am going to heat stuff other than myself I bring that.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Can't patent it and I wanted to share it for free to this community anyways. It all packs up easily in the Big Buddy carrying case.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.