The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice this weekend?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
Ice this weekend?
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Hoping to fish Saturday & sunday
Ideally a day at the sand bar and a day at St. Albans. Havent been on the ice yet!
If you wouldnt mind chiming in on conditions as the week progresses id appreciate it!
Thank you
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Plenty of ice.  I fished Isle LaMotte/Albugh the last 2 days and the ice ranged between 18" and 25".  Today doesn't help the cause of course .  The ice was all black.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Drove my truck 20 yards onto keelers. Caught a ton of bass, really small perch and small pike from 2 until 5. After seeing all the 13-14" holes, wont be driving for the rest of the season. Barley any water on the ice too.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Thanks guys, looks like ill be fishing this weekend!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Thanks guys, looks like ill be fishing this weekend!
Drove my truck 20 yards onto keelers. Caught a ton of bass, really small perch and small pike from 2 until 5. After seeing all the 13-14" holes, wont be driving for the rest of the season. Barley any water on the ice too.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Yea fished West Swanton today..bite was good and trucks were out there. You wouldn't catch me driving out though. A lot of holes opening up. Heck I didn't even drill holes today, just dropped my tip ups in old holes that were 12in wide from someone else. Figured I'd help preserve the conditions, fishing was on fire too.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Mstlaurent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:43 AM »
Looking to ice fish in the Shelburne/Burlington Vt area this weekend. Does anyone know good access points and ice conditions?
Clueless at the moment would love advice!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Shelburne and burlington are a no go unless your bringing your boat

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:55 PM »

Saint Albans is still safe got these brutes today
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Awesome job Ice Fiend! Those are some tanks. How much ice were you on? Any water on top? Shores still solid? Looking to head out there Wednesday, weather permitting. Hopefully the ice hangs on until then.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Old holes had anywhere from 4-5 and some had much much less the rest of the ice was around 6-7 inches it’s solid black ice mostly I would advise to travel by foot or your gonna end up without a rig
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Fished Larabees yesterday
good day fishing , ice was solid when we went out, ice along shore line was opening up when we walked off in the afternoon, not sure how much longer we'll be able to go out

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Old holes had anywhere from 4-5 and some had much much less the rest of the ice was around 6-7 inches it’s solid black ice mostly I would advise to travel by foot or your gonna end up without a rig
Oh boy! Doesn't sound like the ice is going to be around much longer, unfortunately.  :(  I'll check back in when we are closer to that date for a more recent ice report. Keep putting the smack down on those perch! Tight Lines, PB
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Tried Campbells off the rt 78 access yesterday and the ice was good all the way out. The river flooding muddied up the bay big time though and might take a while to clear. We fished Tuesday and Wednesday in the wind with warm temps and noticed a hard south flow which was bound to bring river water down the line. Hopefully it will clear out soon.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Carmi was decent yesterday, 10 inches or so basically everywhere I went. No vehicles out there, though, and I doubt we'll see any for a while.

You might be good this weekend, but the big lake is probably going to require a boat awfully soon.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:57 AM »
My buddy checked the ice off kilcare close to hathaway and sent me a pic of the tape measure. It was 11.5 in the holes he drilled.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Tried Campbells off the rt 78 access yesterday and the ice was good all the way out. The river flooding muddied up the bay big time though and might take a while to clear. We fished Tuesday and Wednesday in the wind with warm temps and noticed a hard south flow which was bound to bring river water down the line. Hopefully it will clear out soon.
Frank, were you at Campbell's Tuesday? We fished it all day in the rain. It was really good!!!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Super slow day @ Saint Albans bay today only got a half bucket had to leave at noon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Frank, were you at Campbell's Tuesday? We fished it all day in the rain. It was really good!!!
Yes I was Ken. Due to the slower perch bite his year I switched over to flat fish earlier than my March 1 normal. Been having a great time remembering why I like to fish sunnies. Awesome time for sure.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Yes I was Ken. Due to the slower perch bite his year I switched over to flat fish earlier than my March 1 normal. Been having a great time remembering why I like to fish sunnies. Awesome time for sure.

I was just on the outside of Clint. I wish I knew you were there, I would have said hi. Hope to see ya this year,
Be safe...

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Heading out in the am
Excited!
Pikin!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I was just on the outside of Clint. I wish I knew you were there, I would have said hi. Hope to see ya this year,
Be safe...
I got a different suit this year and as of today a different wheeler so I am not as recognizable. Got the charcoal tan striker climate and retired the old AA green and black. The wife got sick of fixing the bad spots and made me buy a new suit. Riding a camo Suzi instead of the black one. Hope it clears up since it is my favorite flatfish spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.