Author Topic: Refuge or merritt  (Read 3750 times)

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
Refuge or merritt
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I’m taking a couple of older gentleman to the refuge area next week. They enjoyed last year when we fished for pike. Pelican was easy for them to get out on. They have said they might like to fish for some panfish as well. I’ll be real honest with you I have always justed chased after pike out there. Would Merritt or the refuge  be the best place to try for a few panfish both of these guys are NOT the most mobile. If I could get them to an area where they wouldn’t have to walk a 1/2 mile that would be great. If anyone has any suggestion you can reply or pm me thanks.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Refuge or merritt
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Thanks Darly haven’t seen that info yet. Doesn’t matter to the guys that much if they catch much, probably more me trying to make sure they have fun.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Thanks Darly haven’t seen that info yet. Doesn’t matter to the guys that much if they catch much, probably more me trying to make sure they have fun.

Good for you!  Thanks for taking them fishing!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline son_of_liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Post back on how you do and wat ice conditions are like... Planning on a similar trip... Hopefully

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Went to Hackenberg and Dewey today and yes I’m from out of town, but I couldn’t find a spot deeper than 5ft unless I walked miles. I couldn’t find anyone or any signs of people fishing. No I didn’t do any tip ups but it was a little discouraging. Maybe next time

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Went to Hackenberg and Dewey today and yes I’m from out of town, but I couldn’t find a spot deeper than 5ft unless I walked miles. I couldn’t find anyone or any signs of people fishing. No I didn’t do any tip ups but it was a little discouraging. Maybe next time

Our sandhill lakes are all relatively shallow--5 feet of water?  FISH IT!!!!!  Start at the outside edge of the bulrushes.

I drove by both Dewey and Hackberry last Saturday, there were plenty of folks fishing both of those lakes.

Daryl B.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline crappie_eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Duck has some nice panfish

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:43 PM »
I have heard that but is it the Lake with spring that open up? Thanks for all the help the boys are ready to go today but we don’t leave until Monday!

Offline jhankla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:00 PM »
There was 13 inches of ice on duck last weekend so if there’s a spring it’s not opening up any time soon

Offline cwright

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:31 PM »
May hit those up in a couple weeks!  I go to fish and get away from folks! no offense

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Well we are off to the refuge tomorrow early. Will report back let you know how it goes. Talked to a friend who fished Friday and Saturday bite was slow both days with smaller fish biting for the most part. So we will see what happens 59 Tuesday! Maybe I should pack my snorkel and fins :o :o. Thank you again to all who replied

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Duck has some nice panfish

Girlfriend caught the biggest bluegill I’ve ever seen outta duck.

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:04 PM »
We are back had a great time the boys, they got to chase some flags for pike, iced a few to eat. I think I understand the 28” limit they had on the lakes as it seemed to us that numbers and size where down this year from previous. Did do a little panfishing with some success also. All panfish where released to grow even bigger. I’m excited about the plans for pelican becoming a trophy bluegill Lake. Sure hate to lose then pike fishing but I’m sure the will figure out a Lake for that also. Even if you didn’t care about fishing what a fantastic place to view sunrises, sunsets,  wildlife etc. we saw 100’s of grouse. 50 to 60 deer. Pheasants, 1000’s of geese and ducks around Valentine and the best part of the trip for me was a pair of swan’s flew right past us low and talking! The fellowship with good friends is priceless also. Laughed until we where sore. All and all a great trip. I’ll post some pics soon. Thanks to all who gave us some pointers.

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Here are a couple of pics thanks again

Offline son_of_liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Gonna be headed to Valentine on the 9th was curious how ice is holding up and how fishing has been

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:43 PM »
It’s wasnt going anywhere for awhile when we where there. 14 15 inches

Offline son_of_liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. This will be a 1st for me fishing the sandhills. I'm looking forward to the trip. The way you described it and stories I have heard make it sound like heaven on earth for anglers and outdoor enthusiast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Son of liberty, I’m from Omaha and have had those lakes on my bucket list since I was a kid. I’ve been working close to valentine these last few weeks and stopped by Dewey and hackenberry to ice fish and had a hard time finding fish at all! I wasn’t using tip ups so don’t know on the pike. But finding panfish was difficult to say the least. Got there at 3:30 and fished till dark and nothing. I was told to start at the weed lines and move closer. It’s hard to mark fish in four feet of water and it’s super weedy. Good luck

Offline BullerMan3269

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Thinking of heading up to Refuge lakes this weekend and was curious if anyone had an ice report and fishing report.  I would love to do some flag chasing with my sons and was curious if there is a better spot then any others for getting on some Pike.  Any info would be great.  Thanks.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:21 PM »
The ice on hackenberry and Dewey is 16” and the bite has been slow. This was last week

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Thinking of heading up to Refuge lakes this weekend and was curious if anyone had an ice report and fishing report.  I would love to do some flag chasing with my sons and was curious if there is a better spot then any others for getting on some Pike.  Any info would be great.  Thanks.

Start here,

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/VNWR-2017.pdf

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline son_of_liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Made it to Valentine last weekend. Drove through snow and sat through it on Friday got into some good catfish after dark and caught 1 walleye before dusk. Sat was a lot different refuge lakes were slow one gill and one pike. Fished Boardman Sat evening and couldn't pull anything through had them interested but everything was tight lipped.  Fishing was tough, and snow made things more difficult but we still enjoyed our time and will be back

Offline alanderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I was the otter set up next to you just out of your pic. We found some crappie where you probably saw us out on foot. lots of marks, slow to bite, and alot of misses on light bites. That snow was extremely difficult to move around in. I saw the refuge lakes when the rest of our group was there and that was bad too. pike were all small, decent numbers but no big ones were caught on pelican, and we did ok on bluegill way out on dewey, but too many pike on the camera to keep them biting before taking off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.