The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster leaking fuel at gas cap  (Read 1486 times)

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
Strikemaster leaking fuel at gas cap
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 11:08 PM »
So last year my old ice gator finally crapped out on me. I rushed out to field and stream and picked up a strikemaster gas auger to finish my season out.

Brought it out, smelled a little fuel smell in my sled, didn't think much of it. 2nd time out, was much more noticeable. Plus the .5 liter of full in the bottom of my sled. I just assumed that I didn't have the cap on tight or the vent was left open.

That was my last trip of the season. So I pull it out to investigate now, and come to find out the fuel is leaking from where the cap threads on to the tank..!!! Is this normal? Think I need a new cap? Tank?

Darn either way...thing is brand new. This shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster leaking fuel at gas cap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:58 AM »
sounds like a cracked tank. I would replace that and the cap both.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:47 AM »
I had the same issue with my Strikemaster cap after it was 2-3 years old, ordered a new cap and a new tank for good measure, turned out the cap was all I needed, now have a spare cap and tank just in case.  As you are probably aware, it is easy to cross-thread a plastic cap, I would guess that doing that was probably what caused the problem with my cap originally.  Other than that issue, I really love the Strikemaster, have now used it hard for several years, was never so happy to replace the old Jiffy boat anchor.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Any idea how much a new tank with cap will run me?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I'd think something like that would be covered under warranty if you bought less than a year ago. Are you transporting it with the cap facing down? It might leak out of the breather that way, but I know when I store mine cap side up, there's a good amount of headspace between the fuel and the cap, even if it was not sealing, any leak would be minimal. I think they say there's only one way the auger is supposed to be laid down, and thats with the cup up.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I’ve had my Strikemaster for over 8 years now, and still have the original cap and tank. As jr suggests, always transport it with the cap up. Mine also came with a bracket to hang it with, and that also helps. My guess is that the fuel is leaking out of the vent cap, but if you think the tank threads are stripped, by all means replace it and the cap. The other thing I do is to not fill the tank all the way to maintain an air space between the cap and tank to avoid any leakage.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Pretty difficult to strip those threads. Tightening the vent too much can crack/break the rubber washer that is supposed to seal during transport. I've also seen the rubber gasket inside the cap go missing and cause problems. In either of those cases you can usually McGyver something to serve before you get off $15 or more for a new cap. Storing or transporting in a "cap up" position is good advice for any liquid fueled device.

Most tank cracks happen at the "welded" seam or at connection points. I had an old black tank on a 3hp got leaky along the mid seam where they plastic welded the two pieces of the tank together. Tried a number of things and finally had to pony up $47 for a new one. Gas caps are easier.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Sorry, I don't remember how much I paid for the tank, here in Canada I am sure it was crazy.  I would echo what the others said, always keep the cap side of the tank upright.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for the replys all. No the fuel is not coming from the vent, it's closed. When I turn the head cap side down you can see the fuel dripping from where the cap screws onto the tank. The cap just isn't making ba good seal. I may have over tightend it last year or something. I'll call the company on Monday and see what they suggest...I bought a "cheap" auger, and and now im getting cheap results. My own fault. I would like to have my nice quiet electric auger back...but that market sucks right now.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:00 PM »
I bet to differ...Strikemaster isn’t a “cheap” auger, nor do they offer “cheap” results. They may be less expensive, but since Honda took over, I guess the company wanted to make them more affordable. It should still be under warranty, but if not Google Strikemaster parts for a replacement tank and cap. If you cranked down the cap too tight, then whose fault is that? Not the manufacturer’s. Why is it some folks are quick to trash a company for a problem they had no control over?

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:58 PM »
when you spend several hundred dollars on a piece of equipment you expect it to work. no questions, no stories. its the companies fault. you shouldn't have to use a torque wrench to put a gas cap on properly. Gas cap wasn't over tightened...  the seals they use are garbage.. after a touch of research, we either have bunch of hulks cross threading caps....or the caps truly are bad... biggest complaint I found with the "cheap" strikemasters is that the leak fuel for somewhere, motor head, tank ext.....so ill stick with my "cheap" comment

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Your opinion, definitely not mine.
Had my Strikemaster for over 9 years now with no issues other than a dried out fuel gasket and fuel lines,(MY fault). Just like anything else, there are glitches and bad parts...nothing is perfect! I stand behind my philosophy that if you take care of something, it will take care of you. Sounds like a defective cap or tank. I’m sure there are other augers that have had problems as well. The issue is fixable and doable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.