The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ICE GATOR AUGER  (Read 11702 times)

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
ICE GATOR AUGER
« on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Hi all,

Longtime lurker and finally decided to post, I am looking for someone who wants to sell or part with a broken ice gator. I know Ice Gator is out of business, call me crazy, but I've always been interested in one and like to wrench on things. Located in MI, thanks.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: ICE GATOR AUGER
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Hello,
Are you still looking for an ice gator? Well I bought one new and everybody that has seen it work is blown away. Well after using it very little over the last  5 or so years I have had it it seems to have lost its battery today. I have babied this thing since new and it looks new. I always take off the power head and wrapped it in a towel and it goes in the back seat of my pickup and so pretty bummed out today that it starts to cut the first hole and then nothing. I have an 8" niles flighting on it and I opened up the battery compartment and its a li polymer 20 v battery but no idea where to get one and the company is out of business. Such a great product and now not sure how to fix it. Anyway hadn't even remotely thought about selling it since it's been awesome but don't know where to get the part. I may be a seller in the near future since I do need an auger for the rest of the season here in ND.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I am trying 1 last time to get my 2 augers back that I sent in to icegator for repair. (Over a year ago)  I am dealing with a local police department with it.

If that doesn't work I will have some parts for sale.  Including  2 battery packs.  1 standard and 1 lithium.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Too bad such a good product had to end up this way.. wonder if a local battery outlet like interstate battery could find a battery pack that would work? I suppose a guy could use my Nils flighting and buy a clam plate and an adapter and convert my 20v dewalt drill to at least have an auger. Sucks after spending $500 plus dollars for the gator and another 100 plus for the Nils and end up with crappola plus the need to spend more $$. Idk what the answer is here?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:04 AM »
I'd suggest looking at a Strikemaster since they've been a reputable company for several years. There are other makers out there so no need to rush. Spend some time researching. Even though your best chance to get a deal is between ice seasons, I'd still spend the extra $$$ one one in early season so I could get a lot of use right away in ccase there might be warranty issues.
Getting one now can put at least nine months of storage between startup of a new unit and heavy use. That's plenty of time to forget what might be minor/unnoticeable issues and something that can decline fast with heavy continuous use.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I am still interest in an Ice Gator powerhead.  I have an 8" Nils hand auger that I am looking for a power head to attach.  I also purchased a clam plate and adapter, just need a drill.  For some reason, still intrigued by the ice gators.  If you guys have interest in getting rid of one, I may be interested.  When they work properly, they are an amazing machine.  To bad they are out of business and parts unavailable. 

If I cannot get one, I'll purchase a drill for the clam plate and nils. 

PM me if interested in selling one. I'm located in MI.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2017, 04:18 PM »
I don't understand these voltage specs but I think as long as you use a 4.4 amp lithium ion battery for a replacement I think you will be OK. I see there is some dealers in the US that carry 36 volt 4.4 amp peak 42v

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Ya idk I put on it up for sale for 100 bucks and if somebody can find a battery they are going to have a hell of an auger cheap...

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Contact batteries plus and give them the specs and they can make you a battery.    Look them up online

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Fishnut,

Can you send me a couple pictures of the ice gator you have?  I am interested if you are indeed selling it.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I was able to purchase an ICE GATOR powerhead and now need a little more help.  It is a The attacker ll Li-ion model.  The battery is missing and I was hoping someone could send me a picture of the attacker ll Li-ion battery pack information.  Basically I am looking for any numbers on the battery pack, voltage, amps, mah, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:41 PM »
If you have a battery pack (the case will be the part that is difficult to reproduce) you can dissemble it, get the battery info and order batteries to rebuild a battery pack.  I've looked into it.

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:45 PM »
If you have a battery pack (the case will be the part that is difficult to reproduce) you can dissemble it, get the battery info and order batteries to rebuild a battery pack.  I've looked into it.

FISHFORPIKE, the problem is, I have the green exterior case and insulation inside, but the actual battery pack is missing.  I think I can have a new one built, but I was wondering if anyone had a lithium battery pack info they  they could send me.  I will have one built. 

Thanks

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Two 12v 9amp batteries run in series positive to negative look online Google wiring batteries in series. 

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Two 12v 9amp batteries run in series positive to negative look online Google wiring batteries in series.

Lunkerslayer,

I would like to wire up a Li-ion battery pack or packs instead of lead acid wired in a series.  I can get 24v li-ion battery pack that has an output of 29.4v in various mah, I think those will work, but going to verify with someone who knows more about it than I do.  I wanted to find out what the previous li-ion packs were in the Attacker ll model, before I purchased anything.  FISHFORPIKE sent me a few pics to get me on the right path.  From what I read, theses packs read 29v on a meter when tested.

Looks like the original Li-Ion packs in 24V ice gators were soft sided battery packs with a battery protect circuit module.  I'm not sure if the new Li technology has that circuitry built in or not. More research continues.

Thanks

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Yes you can use two lithium ion 12v in series
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=343122.0

This thread shows a 24volt closed cell icegator basically the same setup that you will need. For the charger any 24 volt charger will work. But I would get a lithium 24 volt charger the big thing is not to charge battery to fast. Lithium can explode much easier than a acid battery. Lithium uses smaller sets of batteries inside a larger battery container to make the voltage specified on the side. Another thing with any DC current is that batteries have two volt specs one is peak and one is constant volts. A battery may have a peak of 26+ but will run at 24 volts. The amps is what is important in your icegator.
Here's a 24volt battery from ebay
https://www.electricscooterparts.com/lifepo412v-24vbatteries.html

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:53 PM »
The IG LI battery packs (it uses two of them in parallel) ~28V each.  The 24V, earlier model, used to 12v LA batteries in series.  Not saying you can't do your own thing but the two 12v LI packs in series will not get you the performance of the original IG LI battery pack(s).  Greg (IG) did a lot of RD on these machines and came up with a solid combination.
I just can't deal with the weight or that power head any longer, after my back surgery.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:55 PM »

ICEGATOR ATTACKER II
Power head, Adapter shaft and charger $390
24 VOLT LI-ION BATTERY PACK $620
This is what I found online what was sold together as icegator attacker Ii

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:17 PM »
took a lot of calls from people that had older 24 volt Attcker Li-ion battery pack problems late at night on weekends. And took care of the issues they had. I've already admitted to bad survice from a couple years ago, but not from these last couple
This is a piece of a  reply that Greg himself said about an attacker II 24volt li ion battery pack

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:05 PM »

Re: IceGator (and Nils) discussion
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:02 PM »
First of thanks for starting this thread and not bad mouthing me, very well put.  I have developed products in the past that have failed. Switch issues, motor issues and battery issues. I had to discontinue the Li-ion battery pack for the Attacker ll.  Some tuff times for my company. For those that could not get a hold of me I apologize I wish I had the funds to just give you all a 42 volt but I don't. Deep ice has always been an issue for me. The new patent pending 9.5 cutter head solves all that. Look for customer service to get a lot better because that will soon become my main focus.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll give Mike a call.  I found replacement Li-polymer battery pack almost identical to the ones originally used in the attacker ll.
where did you buy them?

Offline MIFISHINFARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:49 PM »
where did you buy them?

These are the individual 3.7v Li-polymer packs, there are 7 of them in each battery pack with a circuit board to achieve 25.9v. They are wrapped in a plastic casing.

http://www.batteryspace.com/high-power-polymer-li-ion-cell-3-7v-4000-mah-6050140-10c-14-8wh-40a-rate---ul-listed-un38-3-passed-ndgr.aspx

This is very similar to the packs that come in the ice gators originally from what I gather.  They have a slightly larger mah capacity, which will allow you to drill more holes.   From what I can tell, you will need two of these battery packs wired parallel.

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymer-li-ion-battery-25-9v-5ah-129-5wh-9a-rate-rechargeable-battery-pack.aspx

Hope this helps, I have not purchased these packs yet, I am going to take the ice gator to batteries plus and see if they can build me battery packs for cheaper.  Either from the li-polymer soft sides batteries or the 18650 li-ion cells.  Again, I am no battery expert, but this is what I gathered in my research.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline firwave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Guys, my icegator annihilator battery got wet and I think is dead. Has anyone used the replacements suggested above?
Thanks.

Offline bud strauss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 02, 2018, 04:53 PM »
I am trying 1 last time to get my 2 augers back that I sent in to icegator for repair. (Over a year ago)  I am dealing with a local police department with it.

If that doesn't work I will have some parts for sale.  Including  2 battery packs.  1 standard and 1 lithium.
Caseman 2, am just wondering if you by chance you still have the battery packs for the ice gator augers and if so, what is the lithium

Offline bud strauss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2018, 04:54 PM »

Caseman 2, am just wondering if you by chance you still have the battery packs for the ice gator augers and if so, what is the lithium

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:09 AM »
 Well, here's a thread back from back in the deeps of time. It feels like a few guys with their DeLoreans up on blocks trying to find parts. The Gators were the monsters of their day though the current wave of lithium battery powered hand drills has put all the those other technologies, including gas and propane, in the rear view mirror.
 I haven't had my Gator, a "Li'l Pokie", a 24v Attacker I think, out onto the ice for several years now. Don't seem to need to burn an 8" hole at 3" per second any more.  I'd never part out Li'l Pokie but I'd certainly let go of its original 24v lead acid battery and charger if someone's trying to recreate the original.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #26 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Ive got my power head from my gen1 or 2 gator.....takes the 2 12V batteries....  I'll figure a use for it one day.  Im an ion guy now. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Ive got my power head from my gen1 or 2 gator.....takes the 2 12V batteries....  I'll figure a use for it one day.  Im an ion guy now.

Hold on to them they could be needed in a court case some day.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 03, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Hold on to them they could be needed in a court case some day.
I'm dubious that justice will ever come to those who were burned. Greg Pepple was a visionary engineer but a breathtakingly poor businessman.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I'm dubious that justice will ever come to those who were burned. Greg Pepple was a visionary engineer but a breathtakingly poor businessman.

Or the straight way to say it.....taking people's money for products never delivered or serviced.....he is a crook/criminal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.