New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 52832 times)

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #330 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:39 PM »
As usual, a bit late to the party but another great tournament by the SCFD, always one to look forward to.  Although we didn't meet up on the ice I was lucky enough to enjoy the awards sitting with Jigger, Mrs Jigger and Boggey.  And as he mentioned, Bog walked away with a door prize, way to go Jim! Always a pleasure.  As my girls have all finally grown out of the kids divisions, they still enjoy fishing with me now and then.  I was lucky enough to have my eldest daughter come home from college last weekend and fish with me and my father.  Of course my kid outfished us both. :clap:  Later my mom also stopped in for the awards and she to walked out with a door prize.    Hopefully the weather cooperates to allow being out this weekend safely.  Especially now that Tommyboy will now be able to joins us, that's good news Tom!!  (better than any news SU can give us) Sorry we didn't catch up last weeknd. 
Hope to see you all this weekend!! Be safe!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #331 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:24 AM »
There ya go again Boggey.Most guys wont spill out their feelings like that. Your both lucky to have each other. My wife is a saint. Love her with all my heart. As quirky as I am (so is Jigger) to have woman who love us is truly a blessing.

Yo John,

You and I ain't most guys eh pal?
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #332 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:35 AM »
mr  boggey  I trust the  lovely rita  is  doing well  ......and   if I remember to put my gas  in after paying for it i'll be  doing well

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:32 AM »
True Jim.  ;)
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:33 AM »
By the way ...hows the ice holding up? I would think we are good for tomorrow....hopefully. .......

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:41 PM »
By the way ...hows the ice holding up? I would think we are good for tomorrow....hopefully. .......

X2

Looking to bring a group of Cub Scouts up (many for their first outing) on Sunday. I know, I know...it's late. Broken thumb, busted open face and rollover accident in my car that included broken ribs have made a mess of my season. I am finally feeling a bit better so I am fulfilling my promise to the boys. It's the first time out for many of the boys and some fathers so I would appreciate any accurate ice reports so it is as fun and safe as possible. We've gotta get these kids "hooked" since they're the future of our sport.

Offline bullheaded

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:44 AM »
As far as safe ice, you'll be fine.

The sportmans club is having a derby.

Always preserve nature, I use a FOODSAVER !!!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #337 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Great ice out there but very slick so bring cleats everywhere I drilled was a good 15 inches.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Short, but productive, morning on the pond today. Kept 21 decent perch (including a 13" hog) before heading out so we could make it to hockey practice. Fished 9-11 FOW off the Wigwam, silver Kastmaster with perch eye got me the best results

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #339 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Forgot ice report...15-17" everywhere we drilled, glare ice with patchy snow on top, bring creepers, be careful this week... I think temps and rain are going to cause it to deteriorate quicker than normal

Offline Jackperch72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #340 on: Feb 18, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Hey guys anybody know which bait stores will be open tomorrow I usualy use woodys but he is closed for holiday.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,

doesn’t know what a patient man she married !

Offline Co5852

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #341 on: Feb 18, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Bait shop. Who’s open tomorrow ?
👣

Offline Eskimo89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #342 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Try fat nancys in pulaski i think they might be open tmr

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #343 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Hey guys anybody know which bait stores will be open tomorrow I usualy use woodys but he is closed for holiday.

Yo Jackperch,

Check your private message

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #344 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:54 AM »
Be careful out there as I noticed some gas pockets showing up the dune side of the pond , if your not familiar with the pond then wait till daylight to go out and with the warm temps this week it will put a hurting on the conditions.Stay safe and spud spud spud like my good buddy Boggey says.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:11 AM »
As far as safe ice, you'll be fine.

The sportmans club is having a derby.

Any idea what won the derby? I don't have specifics on it, but I wondered how my 13'' lunker perch I pulled through the ice yesterday would have done. It's by far the biggest perch I've pulled out of Sandy Pond. High water in the spring definitely helped size this winter.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #346 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:30 PM »
I believe first place and 425$

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #347 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:52 PM »

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #348 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Congrats!!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:24 PM »
That is a heck of a perch for SP.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #350 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Yo  Burningdownthehouse,

Yes, that was is a very nice fish for the Pond as reeleyz  said. Nice and fat, like an Oneida perch. All in all  it has not been a bad year on the Pond, personally speaking. I did manage to get out on the ice today myself. Again, I accessed at the Wig-wam. The ramp was devoid of snow, so most were backing down the ramp to unload and load. I was a pail sitter for t6he day and I arrived late, about noon. Who to my surprise did I see entering the ice at the same time , my good fishing bud, TommyBoy. Totally unplanned  we dragged out together beyond the rock pile and both started hole hopping. It was a slow start and no hole was a bonanza but we stayed persistent and through the mist and rain we both managed to get soaked and even caught a few nice perch.

The ice was slick as jigger mentioned in his post from the previous day.  Those Katoola micro spikes were worth their weight in gold.. The holes were expanding with water running down them. Some were well over 16 inches in diameter and growing . You have to be a bit wary and watch your step out there . TommyBoy followed my foot tracks out for the most part as I was exploring the conditions with my familiar step step clunk of the spud. A lot of standing water. We came across a couple of holes a cow could fall through, so I can't stress enough this is the time of year extra caution is advised. The ice, while I did not get down and measure it was a good 10 inches with a thin layer of white deteriorating ice over the top. There are increasingly more dark ice areas viable than previous and again a warning, one can't easily differentiate these dark ice spots from a hole in the water. As most often, fishermen from the previous day or two will cut holes in pairs or sets of three, you have to be cognizant of your foot position at all times . The hole you are fishing has a partner or two and it is easy to step into the adjacent hole and get a wet foot or worse hurt oneself .

In closing, fearing this to be my last day as the warmer weather is fastly eating away at our hard earned ice, I braved the rain and the elements to get out there "one last time". This may not be that last time , but it is getting ever closer. Tomorrows temperature predictions are for 60 degrees plus and I can assure you we will lose more ice before the night time temperatures can do any healing at all. To one and all, please, please be careful out there. My usual admonition, these conditions i have sited were my own personally witnessed experiences. They only apply to the area and access i traveled on the Pond today Tuesday  the 20th of February 2018. These same conditions may be seriously compromised at other areas of the Pond and in the days to come.  My post is not intended to encourage or discourage entry at the Pond. All safety considerations should be made prior and during entry. Please use good common sence and most importantly SPUD SPUD SPUD

Boggey

Post Script: I know I put 28 nice perch in my pail. 2 were 12 inches or over. I can't lie for Tommyboy, but I saw him putting a lot of 6 inchers in his pail :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Just saying.

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:49 AM »
How's the ice might make a trip tomorrow.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:18 AM »
How's the ice might make a trip tomorrow.

Read the post above yours...

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #353 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Well it looks like we have cooler temps moving back in, not sure if it will be enough.  Should still have ice up north though!  Funny I looked at New Old Guys measuring stick, it was metric!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #354 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Funny I looked at New Old Guys measuring stick, it was metric!
SO, he's counting MM as inches?  :woot:

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #355 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Hey Old Guy, nice to see you are able to get back out. I hope the wife is doing well. Were those 6 inchers in Tom's bucket his or did you "mistakenly" throw them in there?  I was lucky enough to run into Tommy both Saturday and Sunday.  My clan had a good day both days as well, good ice and weather. Sunday, I was graced with the presence of my wife and my youngest daughter, 15, along with a few other family members.  After having her pole in the water for approx 30 seconds and landing a nice 11+ incher, my daughter says, "Ok, I'm done, I can't beat that one, can I ride the snowmobile now dad"? Gotta lover her!! Off she went.  At least she was out there with us and not on her phone.    Little did I know until we were starting to pack up, Tommyboy  had been approx 150yds away from me all day.  Hoping that wasn't my last outing for the hardwater. Be safe
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #356 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Well it looks like we have cooler temps moving back in, not sure if it will be enough.  Should still have ice up north though!  Funny I looked at New Old Guys measuring stick, it was metric!

Oh Yeh ?  Well your mother wears combat boots. So dat. ;)2 ;)2 ;)2

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Tomorrow will be my first day on Sandy pond any tips for a newbie like me

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #358 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:13 AM »
Yo Stu,

Sounds like you had a great outing last week end. Family and friends on the ice, can't beat that eh? Besides fishing with Tom on Tuesday, he and  Julia were kind enough to bring up a covered dish for Rita and me along with an apple pie. It came in handy as we have had a house full of guests since getting out of the hospital. Our great friends and family have luckily kept us in vitals for the last week. Only now am I starting to cook meals again. All prayers and best wishes are gratefully received . Thanks to all.  We are praying for a steady recovery and plan on getting her in the boat if not on the ice this year.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:34 AM »
Prayers and well wishes from the Bateman family my friend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.