The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Hole Size???  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Pyro Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Wyoming Hole Size???
« on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:13 AM »
I believe I recall reading here on IceShanty.com last winter it is 10". I cannot for the life of me find the thread now so if anyone can answer me this it would be greatly appreciated......thank s.

Pyro Chuck

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
Re: Wyoming Hole Size???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:00 PM »
You mean as for the maximum? I don't recall ever reading a restriction, if you find out let us know.

All I ever fish is an 8", and only on 2 occations have I regreted it. But boy did I regret it! ;D

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2013, 02:13 PM »
never heard or read of an ice hole size restriction. how can they regulate it if you can fish open water from the ice??? game and fish couldnt fight that! ::)

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2013, 02:28 PM »
 I cant find my regs but I am sure its 10 inch everywhere but the gorge and I think its 18 inch there

Offline mattgacke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:55 PM »
I have never seen any regulations on hole size in Wyoming regulations.

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I dont ever remember seeing anything in the regs on it at all. A 8 inch hole will work in 99% of our waters and if you get someplace like the Gorge then I will drill a clover leaf and chip it out inbetween.

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:04 PM »
 I looked pretty hard at the regs online  and I don't see anything about it anymore

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:09 PM »
If i recall it is 12"....the reason behind this is any bigger hole would allow a child to fall in...

Offline tjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Never saw anything in the regs, tournaments will sometimes have a max, Saratoga has a 10" max for this years tourney

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Just read regs. Nothing about hole size restrictions.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Its a good thing there are no regs on this because some of us are too big of an "Ice hole" already!!!!! :o ;D ;) ::)

hehe!

Cheers everyone!!!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I swear I remember some kind of government intrusion (law) that stated you could not have an open "hole" a certain size.  Not referring to an auger hole but for the guys who cut squares to fish out of?

Maybe I am thinking of another state w/ these laws.  In any case big thing is if you make a big enough hole for a person to fall through you had better put some kind of brush or stick in the hole with slush so it freezes in place and lets others see the marking.

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Haha! Nice houligan.  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Offline Fishly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I swear I remember some kind of government intrusion (law) that stated you could not have an open "hole" a certain size.  Not referring to an auger hole but for the guys who cut squares to fish out of?

Maybe I am thinking of another state w/ these laws.  In any case big thing is if you make a big enough hole for a person to fall through you had better put some kind of brush or stick in the hole with slush so it freezes in place and lets others see the marking.

I agree with you. If you are going to chop a hole big enough to fall through, out of safety mark it with something. I always thought it was 10 inches. I wanted to know so I just called F&G. He said I was the 2nd to ask this year. He says it is not in the regs and they do not regulate hole size. Just use common sense. Fishon

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I could not find anything in the regs limiting the size of your hole on the ice. Keep in mind, a 10" hole would fit a fish with a 31.14" girth (diameter * 3.14 (Pi)).

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:14 AM »
That's a bigun!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Hegone47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:35 PM »
No size limit in state of Wyo.

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:25 PM »
More than likely another state, in reference to spearing.  We don't spear much here if at all that I know of....

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:14 AM »
To "spear" in Wyoming you have to be completely under water at the time.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:40 AM »
To "spear" in Wyoming you have to be completely under water at the time.

That could be a bit chilly in the winter! Wouldn't take long to have "all the fun you could stand"!!!!

Keith

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:14 PM »
That could be a bit chilly in the winter! Wouldn't take long to have "all the fun you could stand"!!!!

Keith

These guys have that cold water stuff down.

Don

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Those guys are nuts!

Offline ILikeBigBrooks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Glad there is no limit for the Gorge!

Offline babsfish4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:13 AM »
A lot of the states surrounding Wyoming have regulations for hole size just so people don't go too far into a hole if you step in one.  Just a regulation that should be common sense.  Lots of people like to cover their hole in with snow when they leave (for whatever reason) and just make a trap for someone to step in.  Leaving your holes uncovered when you take off makes them freeze quickly and are safer for everybody else.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:38 AM »
I use to use an 8 inch auger for years until I started fishing for catfish.   There are so many variables to consider but the one that is missed is if you fish all night long is how the holes freeze in.  I had a flag on a hole that was set with a large minnow for something big.  It happened about 5am in -20 temps.  Even though I use whole covers and chipped out the top of the hole during the evening the 15lb catfish did not fit in the middle part of the hole.   When they freeze the hole cones in the middle part making it smaller than the bottom or top you have chipped out.  So now I use 10 inch auger that in cold temps cones to about the size of an 8 inch auger overnight.   Again Catfish are the only fish that have caused this issue because of their spiny fins.  Good luck and I hope you get one to big to fit through the ice without an adventure.   What I did with the catfish was reach down the hole and put a stinger through his mouth to hold it while we chipped ou the hole. Berrrr cold.
olefish

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Glad there is no limit for the Gorge!

Unless you fish the Utah parts.
From the Utah Fishing Guidebook.
Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Daggett County See Fishing across state lines and reciprocal fishing permits on page 7 for license and permit requirements.
• When ice fishing, the hole size may not exceed 18 inches.

Utah usually tries to have similar limits and regulations as Wyoming on Flaming Gorge.  I wonder if there used to be something in the Wyoming regs that has just been left out?

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.