The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: any interest in a Keyhole crappie tournament?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
any interest in a Keyhole crappie tournament?
« on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a crappie tournament at Keyhole? Could make it a combination crappie and perch also. Thinking about late May or early June. It would be put on by the Empire Guesthouse in Pine Haven. Been thinking about this for a couple of years. Any suggestions welcome

Offline cat ferret

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: any interest in a Keyhole crappie tournament?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I would love to see some fishing tournaments for species other than walleye in the state.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:42 PM »
That would be cool

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:18 PM »
if you have any ideas on how you would like to see a tournament set up let us know. The biggest thing I have at the moment is to make it affordable so any one could fish and still build a big enough pot to make it enticing to get people to show up. Would you think a $100.00 per team entry fee would be acceptable.

Offline kyle.petz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:52 PM »
That would be awesome, I am new to derbys, in fact i am going to fish in my first one at Pathfinder later this month, I would like to enter into some more before the year is over, keep us posted on the progress, great idea!

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:05 PM »
March would be good thru the ice I myself prefer ice over open water when it comes to tournys
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Are you going to measure all those fish? :woot:

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I thought about weighing them. Also thinking about limit,if we used the 50 fish per person at that time of year we could put a hurting on the crappie. Right now I'm thinking about allowing each team to weigh 25

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:34 AM »
I would drop it to even less say 13. people are all ready taking to many small perch. I was asked by someone the other day what happen to all the Crappie my response was they have gone home in live wells and buckets same place theses perch will go if people keep taking the small fish. 

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:50 AM »
   Great idea! Try and get as many local sponsors as possible as they will stand to benefit from the exposure.  Being there is no panfish circuit in Wyoming maybe some of the big boys would chip in to help get a tournament circuit started for us.  I don't know how the other panfish tourneys are run,but it may simplify weigh in by having each team bring in there best 5 and designate one as big fish weighed and the 5 as total weigh for the day. Fish could have no snow or ice attached to them. Just my .02.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:56 AM »
   Great idea! Try and get as many local sponsors as possible as they will stand to benefit from the exposure.  Being there is no panfish circuit in Wyoming maybe some of the big boys would chip in to help get a tournament circuit started for us.  I don't know how the other panfish tourneys are run,but it may simplify weigh in by having each team bring in there best 5 and designate one as big fish weighed and the 5 as total weigh for the day. Fish could have no snow or ice attached to them. Just my .02.
Great idea Kinkyline  :thumbsup:

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I don't have a real dog in this fight because I probably wouldn't attend.  But, I'll give my input based on other tournaments I have been to.  I agree with Cargo, a smaller tourney limit is a better practice IMO.  If you go with a 25+ fish limit, many of the fish kept are very small and kept only to try to get to that limit and add weight.  It's really beyond sportsmanlike in many cases.  If you keep the tournament limit small, say 5-10 fish, it puts a premium on the nicer fish and saves some of the smaller ones from being kept.  Granted I would allow each angler to keep their limit on the side.   

I've just seen too many way too small fish kept as part of a tourney limit for no good reason other than adding weight. 

Good luck with the tourney!

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:28 AM »
This is why I ask the questions, I want as much input as possible before writing the rules. As for the crappie population I think they're doing fine, they're on another food source right now. IMO

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:21 PM »
This is why I ask the questions, I want as much input as possible before writing the rules. As for the crappie population I think they're doing fine, they're on another food source right now. IMO

I really hope you are right msmith1956. I think I will go looking for them next time out.

Offline travis123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I'm game!!
God Bless!!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJdLJU80zk

Offline Barenuckles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I am from Cheyenne I would be happy to spread the word around here.  I would love to attend a crappie/perch fishing tourney.  5 fish limit per day pay out for most weight per day, biggest fish per day, overall weight and you could even have a split tourney where you pay entry to catch crappie and perch or just one species. Great idea ill be there.

Offline camper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:08 PM »
sounds like a good deal to me.  It makes sense to fish for all the available species

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Here are some crappie my wife and I caught in an hour of fishing last spring. Looking back, we feel like we shouldn't have kept so many since they were spawning. They were all 12" and fat. We would definitely enter a crappie tourney. I think a five fish limit would be good. I don't think it would be prudent to have a weigh-in limit of more than five.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I would drop it to even less say 13. people are all ready taking to many small perch. I was asked by someone the other day what happen to all the Crappie my response was they have gone home in live wells and buckets same place theses perch will go if people keep taking the small fish.

I've been told by a couple biologists I have spoken to that drought and low water conditions affect crappie populations much more than fisherman do.  I grew up fishing a lake that had grundles of nice crappies nobody really fished for them at all, it was a good secret.  Nailed em for years and years and talked to some older guys that also caught them there for some time too.  We hit drought for 2-3 years and the lake was low, early in the year too... they had no brush / structure and the crappies disappeared - literally.  Never heard of another crappie caught from there, never thought that could happen but talked to a biologist who told me it does.  I think it was just last year though that appleye posted a video of thousands of crappies swimming through keyhole. 

I was told perch are the same way anglers don't play a big role in populations they go through cycles and anglers don't play a very big impact?  I think that is why the game and fish established the 50 perch limit.  Utah has that regulation as well - 50 perch.  I think they have liberal limits so that anglers can take advantage of the resource when the perch are in a good cycle... I do think anglers can impact small bodies of water more easily though.  Just my thoughts Cargo, respect your view too.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Here are some crappie my wife and I caught in an hour of fishing last spring. Looking back, we feel like we shouldn't have kept so many since they were spawning. They were all 12" and fat. We would definitely enter a crappie tourney. I think a five fish limit would be good. I don't think it would be prudent to have a weigh-in limit of more than five.
(Image removed from quote.)

1 big pike eats more than that in a year by far.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Good eats.  Plus, it is not always easy to catch crappie once the spawn is over... I can never fault a guy for keeping crappie ;D

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Been proven many times.... WATER LEVELS are the KEY.   That is why Glendo is such a good fishery.  It gets drawn down every year.   Keyhole isnt drawn down because it does not have a great source of water such as the Platte River to replenish it EVERY YEAR.  Glendo can be brought back up every year.....Keyhole may take three ...four even five years to get the water levels back up.

As far as the Crappie population...IT IS DOING FINE....I was out with the camera this week.....TONS & TONS going by....caught one REAL GOOD ONE....and about a dozen about twice the size of a silver dollar...pretty small but there were THOUSANDS that went by..all afternoon.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I have a few friends who swear by fishing crappies at night.  They are notorious night feeders maybe people would have better luck night fishing?  Seems like in the day sometimes they are more interested in moving.

Glendo is a unique lake I think too because even in drought, when the water is low... there is still structure all over.  It is primarily rocks and boulders but I know a lot of lakes once they get low enough all the rocks, weeds, brush and everything else is out of the water and all that remains is sand and gravel and mud.

+1 Team Lighting - Baby fish need a place to hide... drought and low water won't hurt the big mature fish but once they spawn and the fry / baby fish don't have a place to hide... they get eaten up real quick.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I've been told by a couple biologists I have spoken to that drought and low water conditions affect crappie populations much more than fisherman do.  I grew up fishing a lake that had grundles of nice crappies nobody really fished for them at all, it was a good secret.  Nailed em for years and years and talked to some older guys that also caught them there for some time too.  We hit drought for 2-3 years and the lake was low, early in the year too... they had no brush / structure and the crappies disappeared - literally.  Never heard of another crappie caught from there, never thought that could happen but talked to a biologist who told me it does.  I think it was just last year though that appleye posted a video of thousands of crappies swimming through keyhole. 

I was told perch are the same way anglers don't play a big role in populations they go through cycles and anglers don't play a very big impact?  I think that is why the game and fish established the 50 perch limit.  Utah has that regulation as well - 50 perch.  I think they have liberal limits so that anglers can take advantage of the resource when the perch are in a good cycle... I do think anglers can impact small bodies of water more easily though.  Just my thoughts Cargo, respect your view too.

It's all lake dependent.  In SD, we are down to a 15 fish limit. There have been lots of cases of overfishing essentially ruining lakes, even larger ones.  Ask ND guys about some of their perch sloughs and their unlimited panfish limit of 10 years or so ago.  Fisherman can and do have a serious impact on fish populations.  Obviously size of each lake and the pressure it receives is a big part of that.  But, even big lakes can be affected by overfishing, if the pressure is high enough.  Water levels and submerged vegetation play key roles in recruitment of panfish.  Having cover for spawning as well as a place to hide and grow up is huge.  It is interesting of the KH crappies and perch seem to have gone from nearly stunted to having some decent fish around, espescially crappies, in the last 2-3 years.

My guess is those crappies are out there feeding heavily on zooplankton in open water. 

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:03 AM »
It's all lake dependent.  In SD, we are down to a 15 fish limit. There have been lots of cases of overfishing essentially ruining lakes, even larger ones.  Ask ND guys about some of their perch sloughs and their unlimited panfish limit of 10 years or so ago.  Fisherman can and do have a serious impact on fish populations.  Obviously size of each lake and the pressure it receives is a big part of that.  But, even big lakes can be affected by overfishing, if the pressure is high enough.  Water levels and submerged vegetation play key roles in recruitment of panfish.  Having cover for spawning as well as a place to hide and grow up is huge.  It is interesting of the KH crappies and perch seem to have gone from nearly stunted to having some decent fish around, espescially crappies, in the last 2-3 years.

My guess is those crappies are out there feeding heavily on zooplankton in open water.
I agree I think the crappie are out feeding deeper for sure because the perch are full of zoo plankton when you get em and they are deeper too. As far as the tourny I would ask for a length limit like they do on the walleye tournys say like a 12 inch limit and 5 +1 big fish for a total of 6 fish for a day. 
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:05 PM »
I've had to work late the last couple of days and haven't had a chance to keep up the the post. Was surprised and pleased with the response I've seen. I talked to Andrew (WGIFFISHBIO} today and he feels the population is doing fine. I think I'll do a 10 fish limit per team per day. I want to do a 2 day tournament on May 26 and 27. I'm  picking these dates because there are alot of graduations that weekend and several walleye tournaments on weekends either side of this one. The tournament would be be on a Sunday and Monday since most people will have Monday off.
  Team size will be however many people you can have on your boat leagelly. I want to make this a family freindly tournament . This rule will make it where kids and wives can enjoy it also.
   Thinking about a Sunday evening fish fry with the catch of the day,depending on weather.
  More to come, but with the feedback I've been getting I beleive I'll send off for the perimit in a couple of weeks and make it happen.
                                                                         keep the suggestions coming

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:18 PM »
We started putting together crappie tournament today. We have a rough first draft put together, will get it smoothed out in the next couple of weeks and put in for the permit. Picked up 3 sponsers today, hope to have 20+ by tournament time. You can  see what we've put together so far by going to our face book page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Empire-Guesthouse-RV-Park/234276596791?ref=hl.  Or email us a request at [email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.